2CT's or Q2's or ???

borislav

Control Rider
Just remember when you take Q2 on track set pressures propperly! What worked for me was 30/30 hot (of the track)!One more thing is if you riding good pace (don't know about your speed) in hot humid day Q2's will get greassy!!!

ScottG

BigBird;176094 wrote: Had to pass this deal on...

Q2s
120/70 + 160/60 combo = $183
120/70 + 180/55 combo = $190
120/70 + 190/50 combo = $195
120/70 + 190/55 combo = $199
SHIPPED!

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=284287
Thanks for the update. I used the Q2's for three days at Jennings and they worked very well... including in the rain....while flipped (rear only).

Unfortunately I won't be needing new tires for a while. I got home on Sunday the 27th and the bike went down while going to work on Tuesday the 1st. Now it looks like this:

http://twinfeather.com/wreck/

Insurance has totaled it. The only thing wrong with me was a bent finger nail and a sore joint in the same finger (wife would claim there is way more than that wrong with me). Hopefully I'll be back on two wheels with a new bike in the next week or two! Then I'll be wearing through tires again!

Scott

madriders86

borislav;176203 wrote: Just remember when you take Q2 on track set pressures propperly! What worked for me was 30/30 hot (of the track)!One more thing is if you riding good pace (don't know about your speed) in hot humid day Q2's will get greassy!!!
If your tires are getting greasy while your still out circulating on the track, your pressures are probably too high.

Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Matt

borislav wrote: Just remember when you take Q2 on track set pressures propperly! What worked for me was 30/30 hot (of the track)!One more thing is if you riding good pace (don't know about your speed) in hot humid day Q2's will get greassy!!!
madriders86;176285 wrote:
If your tires are getting greasy while your still out circulating on the track, your pressures are probably too high.

Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
i've never had a problem with Q2's getting greasy.

BigBird

Matt;176320 wrote: i've never had a problem with Q2's getting greasy.
if you don't, then us mere mortals definitely shouldn't ;)

(and never had an issue with them getting greasy with the right pressures.

Matt

BigBird;176371 wrote: and never had an issue with them getting greasy with the right pressures.

that's the key right there. if you're spinning the rear and don't know it, you can build extra heat and spike the pressure, which creates a smaller contact patch, causing more spin / slip, causing more heat, even smaller contact patch, and the cycle continues... greasy or no grip due to small contact patch are the results.

pressure requirements change day to day, session to session. closely monitoring tire temps and pressures right when you come off track can help you start to understand whats happening. I highly recommend keeping data on it all do. ambient temps, track temps, pace, tire temp on warmers, tire temp off track, tire pressure before session on warmers, tire pressure after session.

BigBird

ScottG;176281 wrote: Thanks for the update. I used the Q2's for three days at Jennings and they worked very well... including in the rain....while flipped (rear only).

Unfortunately I won't be needing new tires for a while. I got home on Sunday the 27th and the bike went down while going to work on Tuesday the 1st. Now it looks like this:

http://twinfeather.com/wreck/

Insurance has totaled it. The only thing wrong with me was a bent finger nail and a sore joint in the same finger (wife would claim there is way more than that wrong with me). Hopefully I'll be back on two wheels with a new bike in the next week or two! Then I'll be wearing through tires again!

Scott
glad your ok!

the bike actually doesn't look that bad..could you have bought it back? whats the new ride?

borgNSR

They don't really get greasy, unless you overheat them, and 30 hot (what's that, 24-25 cold?) would easily overheat the tire on my setup.

borislav

Control Rider
Matt;176372 wrote: that's the key right there. if you're spinning the rear and don't know it, you can build extra heat and spike the pressure, which creates a smaller contact patch, causing more spin / slip, causing more heat, even smaller contact patch, and the cycle continues... greasy or no grip due to small contact patch are the results.

pressure requirements change day to day, session to session. closely monitoring tire temps and pressures right when you come off track can help you start to understand whats happening. I highly recommend keeping data on it all do. ambient temps, track temps, pace, tire temp on warmers, tire temp off track, tire pressure before session on warmers, tire pressure after session.
Matt this did happened to me last year in August at VIR north!I talked with John Allen about pressures and he said that he has limited experience with Q2 but he sugested 30/30 hot!Tire felt awesom during the day and I was picking up speed more and more,but than sometimes around 2-3 pm I guess it got around 97 deg.outside temp.track got hotter to that's when I almost high side in turn 7 up hill!
After this I headed to pit and tires felt like I was riding on the greasse!I talked to John again and he said that I'm maybe working tire to hard and maybe try to drop the pressure but I realy did not wont to do this because less pressure means mor tire flex=more heat so I decided to back the pace down and have good time with out crash!One more thing I noticed was that melted tire build up in the middle of front tire was so big (never had problem with front)that it was rubbing on my fender!!! Don't get me wrong I love that tire except this little moment,they lasted two days at VIR and two days at Tunderbolt!
I'll try 211's this year!

Matt

borislav;176394 wrote: Matt this did happened to me last year in August at VIR north!I talked with John Allen about pressures and he said that he has limited experience with Q2 but he sugested 30/30 hot!Tire felt awesom during the day and I was picking up speed more and more,but than sometimes around 2-3 pm I guess it got around 97 deg.outside temp.track got hotter to that's when I almost high side in turn 7 up hill!
After this I headed to pit and tires felt like I was riding on the greasse!I talked to John again and he said that I'm maybe working tire to hard and maybe try to drop the pressure but I realy did not wont to do this because less pressure means mor tire flex=more heat so I decided to back the pace down and have good time with out crash!One more thing I noticed was that melted tire build up in the middle of front tire was so big (never had problem with front)that it was rubbing on my fender!!! Don't get me wrong I love that tire except this little moment,they lasted two days at VIR and two days at Tunderbolt!
heat from lower pressure and more tire flex doesn't equal as much heat as the friction from spinning it does.

ScottG

BigBird;176373 wrote: glad your ok!

the bike actually doesn't look that bad..could you have bought it back? whats the new ride?
Thanks! The buy back was $4500 and a bit outside my budget. The new ride will be the same bike, just a different year (maybe). There are a couple new '09's floating around at a very attractive price. Unfortunately they're the color no one wants. I'm thinking about going with the horrible color, saving a chunk of $$ and then getting some trackwraps to make it look the way I want.

I should wrap the bike differently on the left vs the right. Then the cops won't know where I went. :D I keep thinking of the scene in Johnny Dangerously where they are making their escape and keep pealing the shelf paper off the car.

Scott

ScottG

borislav;176394 wrote: Matt this did happened to me last year in August at VIR north!I talked with John Allen about pressures and he said that he has limited experience with Q2 but he sugested 30/30 hot!Tire felt awesom during the day and I was picking up speed more and more,but than sometimes around 2-3 pm I guess it got around 97 deg.outside temp.track got hotter to that's when I almost high side in turn 7 up hill!

I ran around Jennings for three days on Q2's and was lowering the pressure after each session. The Q2's increased 6-7 psi during the session. The tires worked better and better each time out. Once I got the pressure right the wear was so much better. I chewed up the left side on day 1 (about 136 miles), flipped the tire and got two days out of the left side( 198 miles day 2 and about 97 on day 3). Granted there was some rain on day two, but.....

Scott

PITZER

T7 at VIR North was probably not as much tire issue as it was how quick you picked the throttle up once you crested the top of the hill. The track has negative camber or super elevation at the crest. This will make even the best bike with the best tire step out.
The Q2 gets its best grip and wear at 33 hot front and 28 hot rear. You need to stay on top of your tire pressure through out the day. Air temperature, track temperature and tire pressure all change as the day goes on. If you set your pressure before your 1st session I promise you it isn't where you think it is after you 2nd session after lunch.:notsure:
The best thing is get in the habit of checking your tire pressure every time you come in.
This will keep you in touch with how the tire pressure increases through out the day and if you keep it at the recommended hot pressure setting you should see increased life and more consistent traction. :)

borislav

Control Rider
PITZER;176530 wrote: T7 at VIR North was probably not as much tire issue as it was how quick you picked the throttle up once you crested the top of the hill. The track has negative camber or super elevation at the crest. This will make even the best bike with the best tire step out.
The Q2 gets its best grip and wear at 33 hot front and 28 hot rear. You need to stay on top of your tire pressure through out the day. Air temperature, track temperature and tire pressure all change as the day goes on. If you set your pressure before your 1st session I promise you it isn't where you think it is after you 2nd session after lunch.:notsure:
The best thing is get in the habit of checking your tire pressure every time you come in.
This will keep you in touch with how the tire pressure increases through out the day and if you keep it at the recommended hot pressure setting you should see increased life and more consistent traction. :)
I do chack my tires after every sesion and 30/30 was maintained through out of day!

Matt I'm NOT Mc Coy but didn't they said that his riding style of spining tire constantly is actualy running tire cooler because heat was generated only on surface not in carcas!

Guys Q2 is primarely street tire and runinng them with low,low pressures usualy KILL street tires if I'm corect!?
Like I said before I did like the tire very much,and that little episode may be my overzalous hand trying to follow CR who was showing me some lines:eek: