2hrs 15mins Hotel or Wake Up Early?

BonesDT

Going to Pocono East on 8/31. Figure take a quick stop for gas, breakfast & coffee. I don't think there's usually traffic on those highways, but you never know.

tbonehedge

Don't forget its Labor Day weekend, so if you do decide to get a hotel get a reservation now. I showed up last year without a reservation and ended up staying on the west side of I-84 after 2 hours of driving around looking for a room.... that sucked!

ta2kutz

what area you coming in from. there are quite a few hotels near the northeast extension off of 940

dolfnz67

I haven't done it going to Pocono but we made a same day trip to NJMP. We traveled from Bronx , NY to NJMP and it took us 2 hours and 15 minutes. I don't remember how much time it took us to get back as my boy was driving while I slept. Needless to say, its doable but it's a lot to do in one day especially if you're doing it alone. Remember that the trip, the unpacking, the track, the heat, the repacking and the trip home, make you expend a lot of energy. However, If you decide to do it all in one day, make sure you get plenty of rest the day before. Just my .02.

PJZOCC624

I did Pocono in one day from Syracuse (a touch under 3hrs if I remember it right). I got all loaded up the night before, hit the sack around 9 and up again at 3am. About 6hrs sleep, in my own bed... was probably better than what I would've gotten in a strange hotel room. Besides, I don't get much sleep before a TD anyways.

Save the $$, stay home the night before, and get up early.

dolfnz67

PJZOCC17;7893 wrote: Besides, I don't get much sleep before a TD anyways.
:agree: And here I thought I was the only one. Especially, if it has been more than a month. I can't close my eyes. I look like :wow: all night long! I'm a trackhead! The track is my crack!

Poper

I've done the same trip to Pocono, as stated by PJ, all in one day. It is the way to go. Have fun and drive safe.

STEAKUM

I agree, Pocono is a 2.5 hr trip for me and it is a day trip. :agree:
I sounds like NJMP is the same deal.

antirich

Pocono used to be a little over 2 hours for me. getting there was never the problem, for you're excited about going. The ride home afterwards that was the tough part, especially on hot days.

Human Sweatball

2 hour drive in the morning isnt so bad, but if having trrouble sleeping while camping or in a strange hotel room take an Ambien. 5 or 10 mg, you will sleep like a baby through the night and be ready to roll in the morning:D

Rhino

I suppose it depends on the home life..... ;). I have spent the night up at summit, which is only 45 min. away :D. I find the atmosphere at the track at night far more relaxing than a home filled with three kids. :saythat: There is just something cool about waking up at the race track anyway.

BonesDT

Ok, I think I'll try it in one day. With my luck there will be traffic. Going to sleep at 9 the night before a TD doesn't sound too promising.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I went to NJMP and did the morning drive with my son. it took us 3 hrs flat!. I got cought in a rain storm for about 30min, or it would have taken only 2.5hrs. Get a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed, stop for a cup of coffee and go!:agree:

almano

I always stay by the track in a hotel wherever i go the night before. I cant stand waking up earlier than 7:00 AM, then do the whole day then drive home. There are nice hotels around Pocono and NJMP as well. Save your energy for the trackday not for driving!!