'05-'06 ZX6R exhaust fitting '07 model

tym2fly911

Hey everybody,

I've been looking around for a full system for my 2007 ZX-6R and haven't been seeing that many out there (at least at a price I'm interested in). I have seen many more choices for the '05-'06 model though and a question started to develop in my mind....

If I bought a full system off a '05-'06 model, would it fit on my '07? :dunno:

I called a dealership, but they couldn't come up with anything that was reassuring or insightful, so I thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge available to me here....

Any opinions/advice/answers you could provide me with will find me in a much more knowledgeable position than the one I'm currently in (scratching my head :banghead: and doing that).

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

:popcorn:

Meat

Is there really that much HP gain from a full system vs a slip-on? (BTW: This was a question, not a smart ass comment)

I have a full Leo Vince system, but it came with my bike.

Sorry that I don't know about the 05-06 636 fitting the 07. Seems like a ton changed for 07, so I would be very surprised if they were directly interchangable.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I ride an 07 zixxer too. I've got the Two Bros slip on, which is basically an after-cat deal. The 07/08 models are so tweaked that aftermarket systems don't give any more than 1 or 2 HP out of the motor. Just more noise (which I love). A full system will shed a fair amount of weight, but for me it just wasn't worth the money. Doing the jumper mod and putting two teeth on the rear sprocket does wonders for it. I've also got the TBR juice box on it to help the lean situation at high rpms.

As far as fitting an 05/06 system, it may work, but personally I wouldn't try it. The bends in the midpipe would have to be identical in order to get from the cutout in the swingarm to the undertail. I've heard the Akropovic full system is good, but pricey.

D-Swens

The bends wouldn't have to be identical at all for some pipes...there is a chance it might fit for systems that use the OEM midpipe. For example, my Yosh full system uses the OEM midpipe, so the headers just have to fit and then plug into the mid, and then the slip-on plugs into the mid on the other side. That being said though, it does seem like there are a few sizeable changes on from the '05/'06 to the '07/'08...but look how many years you can overlap GSXR 750 headers, all the way from '00 through '05.
The full system definitely saves a ton of weight, and you should see well more than 1 - 2 hp gain as well if you have a fuel management system...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
True. I've never had an aftermarket system that used OEM as part of it. I agree on the gixxers being quite similar, but the 07 motor is a 599cc vs. the 636cc started in 03. It's actually much closer to the previous RR's. Maybe an '05/06 ZX-6RR system would work?

Motowerkz.net sells a GP style exhaust. it's wicked loud, and looks like it'll bolt up to any aftermarket header.