'08 Yamaha YZF-R6 front suspension question...

TMR

I was setting the sag on my bike this last weekend. I lifted the front up with a steering stem lift and measured the exposed chrome tube to be 133 mm from the top of the axle casting to the top of the dust seal. I proceeded to set my sage to 32 mm front and 28 mm rear (while in full track gear).

Tonight, I thought I would check the specs on the suspension. The manual states 115 mm of wheel travel for the front.

This got me thinking, does the fork bottom out 18 mm above the axle casting? When monitoring a zip tie on the fork tube, it will be important to know where bottom is.

Thanks!

TMR

OK, just ran out to the garage to check the height/thickness of the dust seal....I measured 133 mm to the top of the dust seal or 123 mm to the bottom of the dust seal....Which obviously makes the dust seal 10 mm thick....

That being said, true bottom is probably not 18 mm above the axle casting but instead it might be 8 mm above the axle casting....Is this correct?

Macon663

I've got an 08 R6 and have bottomed out my forks on the axel. I do have ohlins 25 mil kit in there so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

dogger

Tim: At 158 your front spring should be good. If your suspension is all stock just set the front and rear sag and leave the clickers at their stock settings. This should take you all the way up to the A group or beyond.

It's been a long time since I put my zip tie up and I've got about 10mm between the casting and the tie. If your sag is set correctly, at your weight you probably won't be using all your front travel unless your psycho bonzai on the front brakes or doing stoppies. Best wishes.

stow

The forks will bottom out before touching the fork casting. I have a zip-tie on my forks and I have never been able to get it to touch the fork casting.

sobottka

I have an 09 r6 and have fork springs that are too light for my weight and are bottoming out. My zip tie is all the way up against the casting, I'm suspecting that the dust seal is compessing against the zip tie, zip tie measures 7mm wide. Gotta be 7mm or less when bottomed out

stow

dogger;56889 wrote: Have fun this weekend Shane....
What, you are not coming out to play? You will be missed. When is your next event? I am doing Barber in June and back to Road Atlanta in July.

dogger

It looks like CMP mid-june. I may be able to make RA in July. Take care of yourself - I'm going to need another tow in July. Thanks for the last one and look forward to riding with you again.