5x8 Enclosed Trailer Advice

BonesDT

What do you guys think about a 5' x 8' enclosed "cargo" "bumper pull" trailer?

I like these trailers because not only are they the smallest and cheapest enclosed trailers but I'll have the flexibility to tow it with a class 1 car hitch if I'm in the mood.

My bike is 6.75' long and 2.4' wide. It would be ideal if I could cram two bikes in there for a buddy. 2 of my bike could fit side by side, especially if they are slightly staggered and these trailers are roughly 1,000lbs empty, plus 500lbs per bike generously and I'm still under the 2,000lb trailer & class 1 hitch max.

I want a metal enclosed trailer because I would just like to leave my bike, tent & cooler in there all year and lock the bike down through the floor to the frame of the trailer. The thefts are bad in my area, so the security is important.

Are these trailers durable enough to tow a motorcycle? Can it tow 2 once in a while? Anyone recommend a trailer brand?

toptaz1000rr

my OPINION is when trailering ANYTHING use class 3 hitches .. class 1 and bumper hitches aren ot so stable and you could have problems ..

BonesDT

Here's the thing. I have 2 trucks, an '89 Dakota, '99 Explorer, and my girlfriend has a '08 Impreza. Uhaul won't rent trailers for Explorers, so I've been getting to the TDs with my bike in the bed of the Dakota. Not only is the Dakota's bench seat excruciatingly uncomfortable for long trips and it doesn't have working A/C, but it's not in perfect health, and I had a scare last year where the Dak almost broke down the day before a TD.

So I would have Class III hitches on both the Dak and the Explorer, with the Explorer being my primary choice, but with all my mods to it, the Ex isn't very reliable either, so just as a security comfort, I wanted the option to tow with my gf's little Impreza with a Class I.

toptaz1000rr

i would not .. not sure i would trust that transmission in that impreza to hold up to hauling that kind of weight ..

your are trying to make a cake with the wrong ingredients... its only going to hurt you andback fire in teh future trust me... been there done that ..

trans cooler and class 3 on the other 2 ...

no ac... WTF you have AC... you got special edition 2/90 ac... open 2 windows and go 90mph ify ou need more than that too bad lol

BonesDT

All three vehicles have stick shifts, so no trans coolers needed (or available).

I'm always trying to make cakes with only one ingredient! And then eat it too.

Haha. It's actually a Dakota Convertible (if you don't know it, yes, it's a factory convertible). But once you get stuck in midday summer traffic on a 6 hour drive home from the track, the drop top just makes matters worse. The truck is really my "vintage" collectible, but unfortunately my only way to the track for now.

updated

BonesDT;30731 wrote: What do you guys think about a 5' x 8' enclosed "cargo" "bumper pull" trailer?
I like these trailers because not only are they the smallest and cheapest enclosed trailers but I'll have the flexibility to tow it with a class 1 car hitch if I'm in the mood.

My bike is 6.75' long and 2.4' wide. It would be ideal if I could cram two bikes in there for a buddy. 2 of my bike could fit side by side, especially if they are slightly staggered and these trailers are roughly 1,000lbs empty, plus 500lbs per bike generously and I'm still under the 2,000lb trailer & class 1 hitch max.

I want a metal enclosed trailer because I would just like to leave my bike, tent & cooler in there all year and lock the bike down through the floor to the frame of the trailer. The thefts are bad in my area, so the security is important.

Are these trailers durable enough to tow a motorcycle? Can it tow 2 once in a while? Anyone recommend a trailer brand?

This forum is kinda funny.

I fella writes a question and everyone writes everything EXCEPT the answer

I think for the money and what you intend to use it for you will be happy. However, you can never have a big enough trailer.

These trailers are plenty durable enough to tow 1 sport bike and normal gear.
If you tow 2 bikes be sure you are not overloaded and you carry a spare tire.
If you tow on a bumper you should attach safety chains to the frame and NEVER overload
that bumper.

I have a 6 by 12 enclosed Haulmark.This is a good quality trailer that works great for me
and I load it with 3 bikes and gear packed all around the bikes.

I have seen many people haul bikes with small cars and class 1 hitch.
I have never seen a car pulling an enclosed trailer though, only open trailers.

Last but not least. It's not always the power of the tow vehicle that counts. if the tow vehicle gets hot you can stop for a bite to eat or gas and let it cool. BUT if your towing
2000lbs with a 3000 lb car and you try to stop quick you could be in big trouble.
A new corvette with 430 hp and 424 lb.- ft. of torque has alot more power and torque than my dodge Durango with 235 horsepower and 295 foot-pounds of torque. That doesn't mean it will pull a trailer or stop one

barryc

Not to over simplify but you get what you pay for. For me minimum requirements for a trailer are; 16" on center wall studs and floor joists. With 24 oc I have seen once used trailers racked so bad the back door would not close. If you are looking at tandem axles then electric trailer brakes. Those $1900 home depo trailers are a pos. I digress, for me I always put the maximun and then a pound or two in my trailer, I think its human nature. Also 3/4" plywood floor min too. Its only money, and its your track trailer, go for it..

BonesDT

Is it possible to find used 5x8 enclosed for $1000? At first I was hoping for $500-600, but that doesn't look like it's happening.

I haven't seen any under $1500 used on the internet. Someone said I have to wait a little longer when the landscapers start selling them locally.

I called a Haulmark dealer just to see what a brand new one would cost. almost $4000!!! That's more than the bike!

Am I dreaming for $1000??

toptaz1000rr

BonesDT;36807 wrote: Is it possible to find used 5x8 enclosed for $1000? At first I was hoping for $500-600, but that doesn't look like it's happening.

I haven't seen any under $1500 used on the internet. Someone said I have to wait a little longer when the landscapers start selling them locally.

I called a Haulmark dealer just to see what a brand new one would cost. almost $4000!!! That's more than the bike!

i got my 6x12 enclosed for 2k ... :)
deals are out there you have to look and not rush

toptaz1000rr

here are a few i found in 10 seconds .. you have to look and be willing to travel if you need to ... all of these are generally down here on LI .. you are in White plains would take you 30 min to get here more or less

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/1031198008.html 10x6 1400

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/for/1031169968.html 10x6 2500 (up in carmel, n of you)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/grd/1028187926.html 10x6 1500

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/grd/1025042197.html looks like a 5-8 1000

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/1024602044.html 12x6 2250obo (great deal)

now stop complaining and go shopping lol (your welcome)

BonesDT

BonesDT;36807 wrote: Is it possible to find used 5x8 enclosed for $1000?
BonesDT;36807 wrote:
I found that one for $1000 in Bayshore too. It's pretty suspect with that rust. But I'm definitely going to give it a try. If it "works", I'll take it, but I think I'm going to have to talk him down from $1000.

I'm definitely willing to travel up to 8 hours.

STEAKUM

Bones, sent you a pm. I have a 5x10 Haulmark, set-up for 2 bikes w/ dimond plate floor & tongue box, stored indoors.
Local to you..........let me know if you are interested. :rtfm: