6/30 shany oil spill info

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
I am looking to talk with the rider that had oil spew out of his cbr600rr in the first B session. I would really like to know what happen as you had us all stumped on where the oil came from. This would be helpful to me because I have the same bike and want to make sure it does not happen to me and just to know what happened so I can add it to my list of things to look for in tech or while trouble shooting. If you have any info please pm me.

Control Rider
N2
I've been wondering the same thing.. I was also stumped on where it came from. It was a pretty explosive release, I would have expected to see an obvious issue.

avizpls

#11-A
Everyone was speculating an unwired B drain plug or filter to dump that much across that distance. That or a rod came thru. Gotta wire them rods

When I saw it was an '07+ CBR600RR my heart sank a little. My first 4 bikes were those things and they NEVER gave any issues. Hoping the rider got it sorted out.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
avizpls;280538 wrote: Everyone was speculating an unwired B drain plug or filter to dump that much across that distance. That or a rod came thru. Gotta wire them rods
no I looked over the bike after it happened. even with the plastics off I could not see where the oil came from. The filter was tight, drain plug was tight, no visible damage to case, no loose lines, and the case vents were dry. what was even more strange was volume and velocity in which the oil came out. Oil came out with enough speed to over come the head wind and completely soak the front tire. oil was even sprayed up on to the speedo and tach.

itdiestoday

He says that the shop says it was a bad oil filter. I didnt ask him the details/specifics on what was tested, etc. It is what it is.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
itdiestoday;280553 wrote: He says that the shop says it was a bad oil filter. I didnt ask him the details/specifics on what was tested, etc. It is what it is.
thanks for the info. i would love be able to talk to him and get details. if you are able to contact him, could you ask him to PM me. If he wishes to keep his name off the forums It will stay with me. I am not looking to blame anyone, I just want to know what happened.

meanstrk

Control Rider
I had an oil filter seal fail on me at VIR. Twice. Going back with an OEM filter vice K&N cured mine.

Yeah, I am using my phone...

bluers

itdiestoday;280553 wrote: He says that the shop says it was a bad oil filter. I didnt ask him the details/specifics on what was tested, etc. It is what it is.
Never heard of one failing like that. That sucks. Even safety wire wouldn't have helped. I safety wired the fill, drain, and filter on mine for fear of something like this happening. Sounds like this was out of his hands though. Did he crash? Anyone else crash? Oil on the front tire is never good.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
bluers;280564 wrote: Never heard of one failing like that. That sucks. Even safety wire wouldn't have helped. I safety wired the fill, drain, and filter on mine for fear of something like this happening. Sounds like this was out of his hands though. Did he crash? Anyone else crash? Oil on the front tire is never good.
No he didn't crash and props to him for that as like i said his front tire was soaked as well as he rear tire. luckily it was the first b session of the day and pace was way down so no one crashed.

Rmcaninch600;280568 wrote: No he didn't crash and props to him for that as like i said his front tire was soaked as well as he rear tire. luckily it was the first b session of the day and pace was way down so no one crashed.
+1 to this! hard to believe he did keep it up after seeing all the oil. Glad he did though!

Myers

Control Rider
If you found no damage while inspecting the bike I would semis t?hat either the filer was put on with the plastic wrap still on it causing blow by OR it may have been over full causing the engine to puke up (through a vent hose) the excess oil?

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
Ballpeen;280663 wrote: If you found no damage while inspecting the bike I would semis t?hat either the filer was put on with the plastic wrap still on it causing blow by OR it may have been over full causing the engine to puke up (through a vent hose) the excess oil?
vents were dry and still routed into the airbox. plus I i don't think there is enough pressure at vents to shoot oil as far as it was shot into the wind. it was a honda filter which come vacuum packed in plastic you would almost have to try to take the plastic of the rest of the filter but leave it on the seal. also if it was something like no seal it would have happened right away. this suddenly started after 2 or 3 laps and seemed to go from no leak to blowing what had to be almost all his oil out of the bike in 400yards. the bike basically completely stock even still in street plastics. I am curious as hell as to what the tech said was wrong with the filter because there wasn't any damage to the outside of it ,as far as I could tell. In fact the outside of the filter seemed to have less oil on it than a lot of other places.

Unbroken13

Most filters have a pop off valve inside... I know if they are dropped the spring can dislodge a little and cause it to build up pressure and puke out of the seal area... Then of course it can reseal when the pressure lessons...

meanstrk

Control Rider
Like I said yesterday, I had a filter fail on me as well. First time was on the first lap at North and it blew the seal out sideways on the front straight. We cleaned it up and reinstalled the filter and I ran the shit out of it in the paddock before trying it on track again, and then it blew AGAIN coming out of T6. I tossed that K&N filter (First time using a K&N on that bike) and installed an OEM filter and it's been fine since.

Safety wire don't help in this case.

JGardy_781

May not be applicable here, but years ago (time fails me on the specifics - like more than a decade ago), I once saw a profusely leaking oil filter on someone else's (street)bike - the cause, in that instance, was the old filter's rubber gasket had separated from the filter body and stuck on the block as the filter was spun off. The now "extra" gasket wasn't noticed during the filter swap, and when the replacement filter was spun on, the new gasket squished down on the old gasket forming a sporadic seal - leaked sometimes and not others, and was pretty hard to spot. The service that resulted in the leak was performed at a shop by a "professional" tech.

Not one of the trackside support guys, mind, but a large local dealership's service department.