7/6/09 Main B Group Crash - Inside Pass?

JGardy_781

Twiztedjester55;67705 wrote: The guy who caused the accident was pitted next to me, he was making illegal boneheaded passes all day, after the first session I talked to him because he was passing between 3 and 4 which wasn't allowed until after lunch and that he also made an inside pass in Turn 4 which is extremely dangerous. He definately made contact because his right lower fairing was cracked and he had red paint on his slider. He did get sent home after the incident
The system works. Glad to hear.

slowpoke

it seems like getting sent home just isnt enough for an a-hole like this, but i don't expect nesba to do anything more than they did which is to react as soon as they see or hear about it.

beac83

jas0336;67709 wrote: Like I said "most" riders just make a mistake. I've found most riders to be great guys and NESBA has some of the best.
I agree. Most of the guys and gals out there are great. It's rare when someone is intentionally boneheaded, and the CR's and other members usually get them straightened out quick.

pmupson

I was the Guy on the red and white R6

I went down because the idiot who made the inside pass ran into me. I was at or near the apex of turn 3 leaned way over when he hit me. Anyway you want to look at it he had no business being inside of me at that time, let alone hitting me.

Later I was told by several different people that the same person was passing in the turns all morning, but no one , no CR or corner marshal, did anything about it. In the B riders meeting just before the first afternoon noon session the B lead CR specifically stated no passing in the turns in the B group. Apparently the idiot doesn't understand english any better than he can ride.

It was my first day at Summit and I was trying to learn the track but I wasn't that slow and if I was he could have passed me on on any on of the approved places. I hope he really appreciates his trophy for winning trackday..., ah shit they don't give them out do they, oh well.:flipoff:

The guy who hit me did come over and say he was sorry, for whatever that is worth. His excuse was his brakes were mushy. I kind of think it was his brain that was mushy. If his brakes were mushy you would have thought he would have fixed them before endangering everyone else.

I have a second degree separated shoulder and a few other bumps and bruises. I'll survive and return in about 6 weeks at beavrun.

Paul

JGardy_781

pmupson;67735 wrote: I have a second degree separated shoulder and a few other bumps and bruises. I'll survive and return in about 6 weeks at beavrun.
Mushy Brakes = Lie

Glad to hear you're not terribly hurt, and will be back... I'm hoping to trek to Beav in August myself for the first time... Hope to see you out there...

/j

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
ok, just to slow the thread down I will post what really happened and end all speculation a little later when I get home & have time to post more info. I was on the aprilia

rk97

slowpoke_r1;67713 wrote: it seems like getting sent home just isnt enough for an a-hole like this, but i don't expect nesba to do anything more than they did which is to react as soon as they see or hear about it.
hopefully the guy's truck broke down on the way out of W. Virginia and was a love doll for the locals - remember 'Deliverance'?

wait a second... come on now people... I agree that the pass appeared to be intentional (not the result of a miscalculation of speed), 100% illegal in B or I, and totally bone-headed.

but i'm not ready to wish sodomy upon the guy!

yes, he made an idiotic pass, but I hardly think he went out that session with the intention of doing so, and ending someone else's day. Perhaps he should have been sent home sooner, based on reports of his previous behavior (if anyone told the CR's). Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm certain the event directors made note of this particular rider's behavior, and will watch him carefully the next time he's registered for an event; if he's even allowed back.

Casper

Anyway you cut it, there were some crazy passes being made/attempted that morning. I heard a guy on a litre bike complaining about getting passed, on the outside of turn 6(?), by a Ninja 250 in B group. While I personally find that particular scenario hilarious, the disparity in speeds in B and I is getting dangerous.

Whether it's an illegal pass, as it appears to be above, or a simple miscalculation on someone's part, mistakes DO happen and the rates of closure have increased markedly over the last two years.

slowpoke

rk97;67761 wrote: wait a second... come on now people... I agree that the pass appeared to be intentional (not the result of a miscalculation of speed), 100% illegal in B or I, and totally bone-headed.

but i'm not ready to wish sodomy upon the guy!

yes, he made an idiotic pass, but I hardly think he went out that session with the intention of doing so, and ending someone else's day. Perhaps he should have been sent home sooner, based on reports of his previous behavior (if anyone told the CR's). Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm certain the event directors made note of this particular rider's behavior, and will watch him carefully the next time he's registered for an event; if he's even allowed back.

From what i can see in the video IMHO, the guy gets on the throttle for the pass which is insane.

Twiztedjester55

pmupson;67735 wrote: I went down because the idiot who made the inside pass ran into me. I was at or near the apex of turn 3 leaned way over when he hit me. Anyway you want to look at it he had no business being inside of me at that time, let alone hitting me.

Later I was told by several different people that the same person was passing in the turns all morning, but no one , no CR or corner marshal, did anything about it. In the B riders meeting just before the first afternoon noon session the B lead CR specifically stated no passing in the turns in the B group. Apparently the idiot doesn't understand english any better than he can ride.

It was my first day at Summit and I was trying to learn the track but I wasn't that slow and if I was he could have passed me on on any on of the approved places. I hope he really appreciates his trophy for winning trackday..., ah shit they don't give them out do they, oh well.:flipoff:

The guy who hit me did come over and say he was sorry, for whatever that is worth. His excuse was his brakes were mushy. I kind of think it was his brain that was mushy. If his brakes were mushy you would have thought he would have fixed them before endangering everyone else.

I have a second degree separated shoulder and a few other bumps and bruises. I'll survive and return in about 6 weeks at beavrun.

Paul
I know for a fact one of the CR's got on his case after the second session.

beac83

Man, I don't think it safe or wise for anyone to be WOT in :b: in the first session of the day - EVER!

The level of speed on the track (at any point on the track) needs to take into consideration that others on the track aren't going the same speed. If you are coming into a blind corner, and you know you are flying faster than most, you should *EXPECT* to find riders going slower once you have a sight line. If you couldn't slow down enough in time, then you were riding over your head. It's your responsibility to compensate for the rest of the folks on the track. This isn't a race.

I could stuff noobs on liter bikes all day who pass me on the inside as we enter the braking zones near the end of the straights (Pass and Park). I don't, because there is no point. I'm not trying to set a track record. I'm out there trying to improve my skills. So I brake hard, back off and let them in. There's no point in crashing someone out because they are a newb and making foolish or unwise moves out there. There are fresh first-timers in :b: at every Track Day, and these mistakes happen all the time, and everyone who has more than a day or two in B needs to be able to cope with that.

JGardy_781

squirrel211;67774 wrote: You're from GA, so you may not be familiar with this track, but Turn 4 a 4th gear WOT turn with a wall about 30 feet off the track. This is NOT the place where you want to be taking evasive maneuvers and possibly hitting the deck!!! I put my hand up after I made it through all of the roadblocks and pitted in.
I'm familiar with Main. My best in :a: is a low 1:21 (which in the grand scheme of things ain't all that fast). I'm definitely not at WOT through the apex of 4.

slowpoke

pmupson;67735 wrote: I

Paul
Most importantly, i'm glad your injuries weren't more severe and hope your shoulder heals up quickly and you're back out there.

beac83

Um,

I kinda wish more of the second quote had been included. :) The first quote was in response to the guy who wrote that he was in the first session in B and flying around a blind corner that is WOT. The first session in B is rather slow for a reason.

The full second quote:
I could stuff noobs on liter bikes all day who pass me on the inside as we enter the braking zones near the end of the straights (Pass and Park). I don't, because there is no point. I'm not trying to set a track record. I'm out there trying to improve my skills. So I brake hard, back off and let them in. There's no point in crashing someone out because they are a newb and making foolish or unwise moves out there. There are fresh first-timers in at every Track Day, and these mistakes happen all the time, and everyone who has more than a day or two in B needs to be able to cope with that.

jas0336

squirrel211;67774 wrote: Great in theory dude, but just not in practice.

EXAMPLE: The last time I rode with NESBA at Summit Main (Aug 08), I went out right behind Morph as the first 2 riders out in the B Group's first session. He led me around for 2 laps, and then waved me by for an evaluation going down the straight for the 2nd time. There was nobody in front of us going down the straight. There was nobody in front of us when we were going from Turn 1 to Turn 3 (the turn in the video). Cresting the hill after turn 3, there was a pack of guys going into Turn 4. It took a split second to realize they PARKED, and when I did I got on the brakes hard enough to have the rear sliding and hopping. I still had plenty of speed to spare when I split about 5 guys right at the apex of Turn 4 and a couple more on the brakes before Turn 5.

You're from GA, so you may not be familiar with this track, but Turn 4 a 4th gear WOT turn with a wall about 30 feet off the track. This is NOT the place where you want to be taking evasive maneuvers and possibly hitting the deck!!! I put my hand up after I made it through all of the roadblocks and pitted in. Morph followed me in asked "Why'd you come in?" :D I assumed he was joking....

DISCLAIMER: This post has nothing to do with the video, that guy was pretty dumbass-ish.
you're right I do not know that track. I'm not speaking about that or any other track specifically. Everyone has an example of when it was ok for them to break the rules. It's not acceptable EVER. If you went out as the second person in the group and you came up on a pack of riders after 2 laps, the VERY FIRST thought should be let off and brake because you just lapped the entire group in 2 laps. You don't wait to "see if they parked". You know you're smokin em for the fact that you just caught them.
My point is honestly not to argue with anyone or say anyone is wrong. My point is just what I said...you have 3 choices. If you choose another choice you will break the rules or go off the track PERIOD.
You chose to break the rules. I'm not saying you are a dick. I'm just saying it doesn't matter how you slice it, the better choice is always to err on the side of safety and being prudent. I can't speak to any experience on that track or how you ride but I stand by what I said.

Bluenvy

i saw the video and im not even going to bother reading the posts before mine, but that pass was incredibly stupid in B group, its obviosuly not when you are up and down, and how the hell did he think he could fit in that space. even in A group i doubt you would see someone try that pass. the guy he took out was a friend of a group of us and the offender was pitted across from me. he was pretty heated and i heard him talking about taking the cornerspeed school or whatever. maybe he should take it a few more times

EngineNoO9

beac83;67801 wrote: Um,

I kinda wish more of the second quote had been included. :) The first quote was in response to the guy who wrote that he was in the first session in B and flying around a blind corner that is WOT. The first session in B is rather slow for a reason.

The full second quote:
Why should someone who has ridden the track numerous times and is possibly ready for a bump to I have to slow down just cause it's B group (not saying this was the case but just using this as an example)? As long as he/she passes people safely and according to the rules then who cares... It's a racetrack, people go fast and go WOT a lot...

With that said, the pass was stupid, plain and simple. Whether it was a bonehead mistake, or he was simply an ass I don't know.