A sad day in the motorcycle community

stow

I am deeply saddened by this news. Prayers and thoughts to Marco's friends and family and all of the MotoGP paddock. I am sure this is truly devastating for all involved.

R1Baby

Control Rider
Yea me too, sat down to watch the race and just sitting here in disbelief. Sad day indeed. The silence of the crowd said it all.

Mikey75702

Godspeed... This sport lost a great rider and one Hell of an entertainer today. Prayers to his family and friends, and also to rossi and Edwards.

warregl

This was the first race of the year I wasn't able to get up and watch Sunday morning. Now I'm glad I missed it. Hopefully he's riding with Joey Dunlop and Mike the Bike on the road course to end all road courses.

"If there's another world, he lives in bliss;
If there is none, he made the best of this."
- Robert Burns

Farewell 58, you will be missed.

Last year, I only knew his name from seeing the starting grid pics.....look at that hair!

This year, he was constantly improving and pushing towards the top. Would have been interesting to see what happened next year.l

I knew it was coming since someone texted me. But I was still sick to my stomach and my heart was at least 150 just watching the first lap. I think I was most nervous that it might have been someone's fault, i.e. Rossi pushing it inside despite not having it. I'm just glad that noone should feel guilty.

jimgl3

old Tibetan proverb: ‘It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.’

rip super sic!

bkrivisky

Rip

This is so sad. I watch and follow MotoGP and found Simoncelli a particularly interesting racer. Several manufacturers were interested in his talents. Would he channel his talent and aggressiveness and succeed, or flame out?

As to "Why are the Speed Gods angry?" Let's face it, racing and particularly motorcycle racing is an inherently dangerous sport. We have been lulled into a sense of security by seeing numerous crashes with the riders amazingly getting up and walking away or recovering from non-life threatening injuries and racing again in miraculously short time. The flip side is, "how blessed was the racing community to have gone relatively unscathed so long?"

Just my thoughts.

rk97

JLove;220241 wrote: Saw the video, wondering how the helmet came off. Not a fan of AGV helmets at all (owned two). Godspeed Marco.
The strap tore. With motorcycle helmet technology being as good as it is, I have to assume that this was a calculated "failure," designed to prevent neck injury.

I was not a Simoncelli "fan," but I certainly had insane amounts of respect for the talent he displayed on a motorcycle. There were times this season where he made some aggressive moves, but it made the racing more interesting, and MotoGP will not be the same without him.

continued thoughts and prayers for his family and friends. :(

Amac955

warregl;220335 wrote: This was the first race of the year I wasn't able to get up and watch Sunday morning. Now I'm glad I missed it. Hopefully he's riding with Joey Dunlop and Mike the Bike on the road course to end all road courses.

"If there's another world, he lives in bliss;
If there is none, he made the best of this."
- Robert Burns

Farewell 58, you will be missed.
Couldn't have said it better. Godspeed.

benw

Notice that Ben Spies said that Super Sic was the only rider riding a hard rear tire? We traveled and saw him race several times. He always had time for the fans. Godspeed.