Advice for Control Riders (READ)

pilot

1. When announcing rules and procedures in the riders meeting, don’t refer to
hand across the throat “ as “I don’t have a problem YOU have a problem”. This comes across as confrontational right off the bat. The “throat slash” should mean the rider is doing something wrong and/or unsafe and should follow the CR into pit, so correct procedure can be explained.

2. Never refer to “constructive criticism” as “a stern talking to”. Again, the confrontation comes to mind.

3. (IMPORTANT
) If a CR feels the need to speak with a track day participant regarding his/her conduct, the CR should conduct himself/herself in a professional manner

4. The NESBA CR's were very helpful with their on track advice. With their help and advice I was able to hold the proper line through corners and I also felt much more comfortable sliding off the bike to lower my center of gravity.

5. THANK YOU, FOR NUMBER 4

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
pilot;8789 wrote: 1. When announcing rules and procedures in the riders meeting, don’t refer to
hand across the throat “ as “I don’t have a problem YOU have a problem”. This comes across as confrontational right off the bat. The “throat slash” should mean the rider is doing something wrong and/or unsafe and should follow the CR into pit, so correct procedure can be explained.

2. Never refer to “constructive criticism” as “a stern talking to”. Again, the confrontation comes to mind.

3. (IMPORTANT
) If a CR feels the need to speak with a track day participant regarding his/her conduct, the CR should conduct himself/herself in a professional manner

4. The NESBA CR's were very helpful with their on track advice. With their help and advice I was able to hold the proper line through corners and I also felt much more comfortable sliding off the bike to lower my center of gravity.

Hey Pilot,

1) I'm sorry if us trying to be funny came across that way, it was not the intention. The intention was to get a chuckle out of everyone.

2) A stern Talking is by no means constructive criticism and should not be confused. If you are breaking the rules you will get a stern talking to and not constructive criticism, but if your not following the race line then you will get constructive criticism.

3) Did one of the CR's not conduct himself/herself in a professional manner?

4) That is why we are all out there, it is our pleasure to help you.

5) Thank you for your constructive criticism of how we are doing, and we'll try to keep our jokes from coming across as confrontational, I assure you that was not our intention.

JohnS

pilot;8789 wrote: 1. When announcing rules and procedures in the riders meeting, don’t refer to
“hand across the throat “ as “I don’t have a problem YOU have a problem”. This comes across as confrontational right off the bat. The “throat slash” should mean the rider is doing something wrong and/or unsafe and should follow the CR into pit, so correct procedure can be explained.

3. (IMPORTANT

Lighten up!!

Motomoon

The best way to resolve any issues you may have with an event is by simply addressing all your concerns with the event director... while still at the track. They could have cleared up any mis-conceptions then and there.This is especially true for issues you may have with a CR. Give the director a chance to handle any issues while they actually have that option. There isn't much they can do to handle your specific problem after the fact.

Gman97

Wow. I am beginning to wonder what doesn't upset some people these days. How do they make it through the day. :asleep:

snikwad

You know what i dont like, i dont like the tap on the tail, and the tap on the head, i always confuse the two.
You know what else i dont like, you fukers are so cool sometimes i forget that there are rules to the sh1t. But then again, do i really NOT like that?

PJZOCC624

snikwad;10615 said:
You know what i dont like, i dont like the tap on the tail, and the tap on the head, i always confuse the two.
QUOTE]

Thought I was the only one!

Pilot, while I agree that a confrontational tone can be a put-off, sometimes a serious tone needs to be expressed to ensure that everyone understands the importance of what's being said. I've always felt the riders meetings were a good way to set the tone for the day, and by expressing specific points in a way to underscore the importance of safety. I've never felt that a CR has been specificly confrontational, or even felt like I've been "yelled at" by a CR (....well, once, but he made a mistake in identifying the bike, and when the mistake was realized, he apologized numerous times. While I won't mention Lennys name, lets just say he's an outstanding CR with just a COUPLE issues!:saythat:). As Todd mentioned above, it was good-natured in spirit and may have just been misinterpreted.

See you at the track!

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
PJ, thanks for understanding all of my personalities! Did I say that, yes you did! Oh ,ok as long as I understand me, you us?...........LOL:agree:

Having ridden with a couple of other organizations a time or two, I have to say that as a rider who is out there doing this for fun, I appreciate the level of "Control" that the NESBA Control Riders maintain on the field.

In a sport that is filled with testosterone, keeping 100+ guys (and the occasional, but always welcome girl) in line on high horsepower sportbikes has to be a challenge. The seriousness with which NESBA approaches safety is what makes NESBA my organization of choice.

I always look at the NESBA dates first when filling my track day schedule and only stray outside of the organization when I can't get on a particular track during a weekend I am available to ride.

I've had the "Stern talking to" once while in the "I" group for making some passes on slower riders under braking on the inside. I hadn't initiated my turn in and was inside another slower rider by about 6 feet. I went by on the inside and after the rider was out of my view and I was concentrating on hitting the Apex, the rider on the outside was somewhat startled that I was there and it threw their line off. Following the session, one of the CR's called "bullshit" on me and explained what I had done wrong (i wasn't by the bike on the outside by the time that rider started to lean the bike over). I modified my technique and started taking people in "I" on the outside under braking. No longer an issue in preventing the slower rider from initiating their turn in.

That same CR is the one who led me around the track on my evaluation for my bump to "A", and has been a great source of advice as well as a lot of fun to chase around the track. Some people say he can be a little "Gouch", but he's really a great guy with sage advice.

Get out there, have fun, listen to the CR's and keep in mind how many people they are trying to keep safe and thank them for their efforts to help you get better...

Jeff

Leitner559

Control Rider
Right, one should never confuse talking to Stern as constructive criticism. You've got to understand ahead of time that dude is very sarcastic and to read between the lines. After all, that's where the really good profanity is.

pilot

I have been reading all the replies to this thread and have come to the conclusion, that possibly, I was the person overreacting.

The point to my original post was not to cause trouble, but to express my opinion.

The CR was (in my opinion) a little sarcastic towards my riding ability. However, I did not take into consideration all the stress and concentration involved in looking after 35 riders a session.

NESBA appears to be a strong organization with many individuals ready to "throw down" in defense of any negative feed back.

Now, if only I could erase my original post so I could show my face and call myself a "Nesbian" :doh:

I enjoyed my time on the track and will be including track days as a new found hobby.

Thank you…

PS. NO, I am not a FAAAAAAAAAAG. “Not that there is anything wrong with that”

ayotte6pc

Is it possible to bring back the "Paddle wheel"? That always seemed to get the point acrossed loud and clear... Well, there were the few that actually liked it.... Thats another story.... Nevermind.

pilot,

sounds like you are learning... that's what this organization is all about. Sometimes you have to hear things you don't want to hear, and perhaps in a way you don't want to hear it to get better and play by the NESBA rules, which exist to help us all get better and become safer riders.

This organization rocks! I'm sure everyone will forgive your original mis-step...

Come on back out and play...

Jeff

PJZOCC624

Well said, bud. As you can see, we're all very passionate about our addiction, and our organization. Not sure where youre from but if you're planning on any dates at Beaverun, I'll be there next weekend (9/6-7). Stop by and say hi!

Meat

Pilot,

I am impressed with you saying that you were the one that overreacted. That is rare these days.