Advice

Gixxer

I need some advice. If God blesses me with another year on this earth I plan on racing. I don’t know which group to race with, WERA or CCS. I live in Alexandria, VA and I do not want to travel too far. Also, can someone give me a play by play guide on getting started?:dunno: I read both rule books and it seems a lot different than a track day. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Katie785

wera vs ccs is a personal choice. I race with wera and love it. People race with ccs and like that.. Best thing to do is find a buddy that will be with you at your first race to walk you through it.. OR.. come down to Summit 20-21 (shouldnt be too far) and I can show you what it is all about..

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
This is the place for some great advice. Many of the members and staff race and cover many different classes, skill levels, and organizations.

From a mental standpoint, I would suggest the following: set your own expectations, decide on how much you are willing to spend, and prepare yourself for a different environment (on the track) than a trackday. To some extent there are differences in the paddock as well, however in my limited experience, I have had the good fortune of attending the races and racing with the folks in NESBA.

I think this should be the first step before jumping in. The differences in skill levels and competition are somewhat like a trackday. Understanding what your goals and objectives are can keep you out of trouble and out of your own pockets for that "extra 2 seconds".

I got my license in the middle of last year and did the required two race weekends to become a novice. I started this year with the intention of running as near a full round as possible, but a get-off and the realization that the bike I was riding wasn't going to win races put a stop to it. I will likely attend and race the Summit WERA round towards the end of September of this year, but plan to run a full round next year.

I would say have fun with it and enjoy it. The competition is what I enjoy; the feeling when I am on the grid and everyone is getting ready to go for the first turn is indescribalble...the adrenaline is pumping and it truly is an amazing experience.

Again, I am sure you will get a wealth of knowledge and experience from the folks on this board. I race with WERA and will likely stay with them. There are folsk ont he board that race with CCS and can give some info. I would suggest attending a race and taking the license school...Summit Point is close to you and there is a round in September.

Best of luck!

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Check out the current schedule of both orgs and decide which might fit you better.

I race with WERA. Never did a CCS day. I started with them because some fellow NESBIANS were racing and they suckered me in.

WERA NE region runs BeaveRun, Summit Main, VIR, Nelson, and will add NJMP.
WERA MA region runs BeaveRun, Summit Main, VIR, Nelson, CMP

There are plenty of NESBA folks running WERA this year.

RollieManollie

Control Rider
Try wera as it's more regional and more often than CCS. Show up on a Saturday, get your provisional race license that day, then race Sunday and ask yourself "what did I get into!":D

As you can see there are alot of nesba guys & gals in the paddock that are more than happy to help answer your questions and show you the ropes (Big props to Dave S. aka Slow Honda":adore:) he helped me out my first race weekend!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Yeah like that was a good idea :doh: Most of the others have covered it pretty well. Try spectating an event first and then you'll get a better idea of what's going on. Plus any of us can help with any questions during your first event if you do decide to give it a try.

JVance

Racing is a ton-o-fun. All the guys who posted so far race with WERA and so do I. WERA requires you to buy or rent the transponder so that adds some cost up front (about $400 to buy, $60 to rent for the weekend). I know people who raced CCS and that was the deciding factor for them. 50% Of the transponder rental can be applied to the purchase with WERA later as long as you keep the reciepts. CCS lets you use theirs for free. WERA uses AMB and they post everything on the web. It is a great service. The resale of the transponder is pretty good, too. I would go with the the org that offers the best schedule for you.

Katie785

with the transponder, you can also buy a used one online. The off season is best. I got mine for 200 shipped in November. Drew ended up paying 275 shipped in Jan - more towards the start of the season. They go quick on the wera board too (forums.13x.com). If i get out of racing (highly unlikely now) i can resell it for pretty much what i bought it for.

Yank 521

Control Rider
just come racing, look for the guys with the nesba stickers on there bike. we will show u the ropes, help u with your forms, and s#it, u may break a rib from laughing. we have a good time.

Katie785

Yeah.. just make sure you keep a set of wire cutters in your tent. you know, in case it somehow gets zip tied shut..

Yank 521

Control Rider
lol, or an extra set of clothes if u get a shower. there is an old guy that lives in the woods that steals them. but he will try to sell u a blanket..

Gixxer

Thank you all for your input. I will attend Cornerspeed LV II the beginning of next year. Due to my job my trackdays are over this month. However, I managed to sneak 3 more trackdays in. I will be at VIR on the 25th and Roebling on the 30-31. I ride a dark blue and baby blue GSXR1000 my number is 31. If any of you are there please come by I have so many more questions. More than I can type.........not a fast typer. Thanks again.

Macon663

I'm gana go against the grain here...I've been running CCS this year (my first), almost singlehandedly because it does Summit Point 4 times and VIR twice. This was my first year and its been fun so far. I'm sure at both places the people will be friendly and willing to lend a hand. I would pick the org that your friends are doing and has the best schedule for you.

A couple smaller things...CCS doesn't require the same level of safety wiring (They conform w/ NESBA advanced level wiring) as WERA, doesn't require you to buy or rent a transponder, and doesn't require a steering damper. For what its worth, CCS tech is unfortunately kind of a joke, you'll need to going over your bike yourself to make sure its really ready everytime you're at the track.

Lastly, I'd say CCS is faster...but looking at the national times...looks like someone ripped off some 17.5's on a 600 as a novice. Thats damn fast.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. You'll be having too much fun!

Katie785

yeah - and Kyle W. who did his first weekend as an expert pulled off 16s on a 98 horsepower gixxer..

I have heard that Wera is faster, but at the same time I would think that it depends on who is racing what year..

RollieManollie

Control Rider
stealth 521;7740 wrote: lol, or an extra set of clothes if u get a shower. there is an old guy that lives in the woods that steals them. but he will try to sell u a blanket..
:agree:

Damn clothes snatchers!!!!!!!!!:argh:

I think that same guy along with his friends steal zuma's too!!:D:notsure:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Nah, but I'm still waiting on the payments that are keeping said vid off youtube. So.... maybe it might get posted ;)