Affording track days..18 year old?

Bluenvy

save all your money and dont buy anything that you dont need to survive. sell stuff you dont need. i've sold text books i was using at school for money already

im 22 and working as an intern so im not rolling in the dough either and i still manage 12ish TD's a year
also helps i live with my parents, car is paid off, im covered under my moms medical insurance, i have no credit cards, so basically all i pay for in a month is gas to work and back and my cell phone bill.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Man! You kids living at home. Try doing this when your wife has been laid off since December (she just started new job last week) and you just wrecked your bike! Side work installing kitchens and making cabinets has been a relief. Ride share and bring your food with you to the track. Stock bikes are great, spend your money on TD's and tires and medical insurance. Your never too young for insurance.

EngineNoO9

Blaise;61733 wrote: Speaking of this. If you don't have health insurance, I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle in general. One little trip to the hospital could bankrupt you.
I wouldn't ride if you don't have GOOD health insurance...

xn85turbo

Control Rider
John I am glad I got you out to the track (safer than the street). I was hoping your dad would ride with you to help with the expenses; maybe I should give him a call and rag him a little for not getting out there with you.

Pace yourself with the track days until you can afford them more, and for god sakes make sure you have health insurance as my little hiccup at VIR cost me around $20k and still going with the physical therapy expenses. If I didn't have insurance my track days would be over for a while to say the least.

noobinacan

- get a education / degree and then get a job.
- street ride in the mean time...hit the twisty's on the weekends.
- save while you are doing that. No bars, no drinking, eat at home..which generally means you eat healthy. drink water. ha

in a few years..you'll be able to do all the track days you want.

jas0336

side jobs
sell blood and semen (not at the same time)
brown bag the lunch
drink water
DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS
meet as many fellow track rats to share expenses...you can get group buys on stuff like tires, warmers etc. from shops like Hard Racing and others. You can also ride share.
Second job may help
if you get good enough, you may be able to become a CR...I think they may get a break on their TDs or maybe even free.

BlackBeauty35

Some great responses...Pay attention to the 'Track days for sale' thread and find some good deals. Ebay anything and everything you don't need...your earnings will add up in time.

meowculpa

noobinacan;61816 wrote: - get a education / degree and then get a job.
- street ride in the mean time...hit the twisty's on the weekends.
- save while you are doing that. No bars, no drinking, eat at home..which generally means you eat healthy. drink water. ha

in a few years..you'll be able to do all the track days you want.
:agree:
well said..

jimgl3

hmm. can't resist...
you resist the urge to ride the street fast (if you street ride)
ONE arrest can cost more than an entire year of track days
i can't tell you how many folk i have invited to nesba only to have them gripe about the cost then see them later and they're making payments on a $1400 fine!

stow

jas0336;61828 wrote: if you get good enough, you may be able to become a CR...I think they may get a break on their TDs or maybe even free.
The CRs don't have to pay for their time at the track, but it is not free. Those guys and gals work their butts off. I have seen them sit out a lot of advanced sessions because they were wore out a had to go back out and control ride in beginner and intermediate. They don't get enough credit for all the hard work they do for us.

There are days in the middle of summer when I don't envy them at all. Then of course there is that one day in January where I am registering for my track days for the year and think it sure would be nice to be a CR, oh well the first two letters in credit card are "cr".

jas0336

I didnt mean to imply the CRs were getting off free by any means. I agree they are under appreciated and way under rated. I just meant that I thought I heard somewhere that for their service as a control rider they didn't actually have to pay the same track fees.

I envy the track time they get as in how many weekends they get to ride but IN NO WAY envy the amount of work they do. CRing for Intermediate AND beginner at times. Policing inappropriate riding, keeping up with rules and riding within the rules of each group when they could very well be riding at an :a: pace within :a: rules the entire time.
They definitely work harder than the rest of us at the track and are one of the biggest factors that make NESBA my TD club of choice

PJZOCC624

noobinacan;61816 wrote: - get a education / degree and then get a job.
Absolutely.... don't be in such a hurry to have and do everything at 18, bud. Get yourself a good education or trade, get some $$$ stashed, and work the track days in as a reward for going to apprentice school, or working ot, etc... I did my first trackday in '99 at the tender age of 26. Bust your ass now, as a means to an end.

That said... PIMP, PIMP, and PIMP s'mo!!

stow

jas0336;61891 wrote: I didnt mean to imply the CRs were getting off free by any means. I agree they are under appreciated and way under rated. I just meant that I thought I heard somewhere that for their service as a control rider they didn't actually have to pay the same track fees.

I envy the track time they get as in how many weekends they get to ride but IN NO WAY envy the amount of work they do. CRing for Intermediate AND beginner at times. Policing inappropriate riding, keeping up with rules and riding within the rules of each group when they could very well be riding at an :a: pace within :a: rules the entire time.
They definitely work harder than the rest of us at the track and are one of the biggest factors that make NESBA my TD club of choice
Oh no, I wasn't implying anything by my post. It was just something that has ran across my mind a couple of times and your post just sort of brought it to the front of my mind again. Believe me, there have been several times where I thought those CRs are lucky to get to ride for free. But I have been at the track on several occasions where Dave and I are finishing up an Advanced session and I am just beat and can't wait to sit under the a/c in the trailer, but he throws on his orange shirt, fuels up the bike, and goes right back out to CR. They work hard, but they also love riding and helping others.

awhicker

Buy a 450f and a set of rims. Then you can dirtbike or supermoto. I'm guessing supermoto can be cheaper and is more available. Dirtbiking is obviously cheaper for most competitors. You could have a set of dirt track tires and do an oval too.

Sportbike riding just isn't cost effective. Also, from the posts I'm reading, it seems that no matter what job you have, you will be stretching your limits to keep up with this sport because you keep extending limits.

But its so fun!

Cooney

You should find a cougar, and not the zoo type of animal. The Demi Moore type!

http://www.urbancougar.com/

Honest, a few years ago, there was this cat at Beaverun, and he was a snowboard instructor who meet his future wife thru a private lessons. Well come to find out she’s loaded! He ended up marrying her and then became a stay at home dad in NYC who didn’t work and went out occasionally for track days. This guy had a nice rig and trailer, top notch everything. Buck and I keep quizzing him asking for job applications.

Anyhow, I haven’t seen in a while, so who knows how that story ended?