Air bag suits. Input?

It seems more manufacturers are making them. I've read the reviews. Anyone have experience with one?

For low sides the need may not be there - we get up and brush ourselves off however a high as we know has a different ending to the story. Most of us ride on the street as well.

Reg

mnotae

I have two of the D-air suits. I'm lucky enough to have not gone down with either on, but that clock is ticking. One of the guys we ride with has two as well and went down twice at the CCS races at NJMP two weekends ago...all worked as designed and he swears by them. I think they are worth the money (when considering the price of a collar bone fix), but they aren't an easy product to get one's hands on. They don't sell them in the states - nor does it look like they will anytime soon. Gotta love our government, but according to the Dainese folks, our government wants quite a sum of money to even test them for approved sale in the US, so D and Alpine have decided to not sell them here. Not sure if that is going to chance anytime soon, but it's really unfortunate.

If you want one, you need to travel to a manufacturer store that sells them. I flew to Manchester to get mine. Clearly you need to try one on before investing, mandating a trip. Once you get your size, etc, buy it, you need to get it back to the states. I learned the hard way that you can't get them onto a plane. The air canisters set off all kinds of alarms at the security offices at the airport, so you need to have a shipper coordinate transit. I used FedEx, they seem ok having the suits in the belly of their planes - but you need to sort the transit - the store won't - for liability reasons.

If you have the misfortune of having the suits inflate, you need to send them back to Italy to be re-packed. Shipping, price for the re-pack, etc. (I'm clearly just speaking of Dianese) will run you around $1000-$1200. NOt for the faint of heart, but again, what would you pay to avoid some of the injuries the airbags might help you avoid.

Now, there are the external vests, etc. on the market to which I can't speak. They are better than nothing, I suppose, but not to direction with which I feel comfortable. I definitely feel safer, but it's an investment I have decided is worth the cash...

matt2212

afinepoint;273305 wrote: Thanks Matt. The one time I don't do a search. :doh:

OK this one can be put to bed.
its all good, i was just posting and driving:doh: so i didn't write much.

I don't wear one, they seem a little cumbersome but when my buddy crashed off the "ramp" that is turn 7 at VIR North I do believe it helped.