All hail the king of false economy!

Swodi

Why did I buy bodywork? So in case I crashed at the track I wouldn't ruin my expensive factory bodywork. As you know from my thread bitching about it, I had to send back my "cheap" bodywork and invested in Armor Bodies. There's $83 in shipping I had to eat. And I have this scary feeling the seller will get it back and say "Oops, like you didn't pack it well enough so it's damaged now. Here's 50% of what you paid."

And the sales rep told me that Armor Bodies won't accomodate the factory exhaust cat, so I had to get a full exhaust. $$$ A full exhaust just won't do if you don't have a power commander, right? ;) $$ And what good is it to have that free-flowing exhaust if you aren't getting massive quantities of air into the intake? Hello BMC filter. $ Do I dare get the bike dyno tuned or just make do with a map from dynojet? My wallet says make do with a stock map.

Something tells me all this crap is costing me about what it would cost to replace the factory bodywork. All hail the king of false economy! :banghead:

At least the bike will be lighter now.

Landshark

Control Rider
Don't buy the Ti exhaust. When you crash you'll be even more pissed. If you get a PC think about the QS. Rearsets, clip-ons. tires, etc. Brace yourself you still need to manage the addiction.

Swodi

08 GSX-R750

I was somewhat sane and went with a SS Yoshi exhaust.

I'm going to justify rearsets by telling myself they're for crash protection since the pegs don't fold and I'll save money on toe sliders. ;) Tires...well, I'm going to have to learn how to change my own tires. I'm quite aware of the addiction. I had to take a three year break from track days for financial reasons, but we've paid off a lot of debt (more than 50% of my annual income) and I'm in a much better position now to do track days and buy junk for the bike...this disposable income stuff is pretty nice. ;)

Swodi

Saltman;174275 wrote: Have you posted in the "% of household income" thread yet? I think you should after all this. ;)
Yes I did. Just a tad under 6%. A set of wheels and some other stuff might change that number a bit. ;)

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I hate to tell you...I'd spring for the dyno time, too. I took my GSXR-600 to Karns Performance for a run last Spring. He got me 4 more peak horsepower and a VERY nice even power curve to that peak.

Don't know where you're located.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Swodi;174268 wrote: Why did I buy bodywork? So in case I crashed at the track I wouldn't ruin my expensive factory bodywork. As you know from my thread bitching about it, I had to send back my "cheap" bodywork and invested in Armor Bodies. There's $83 in shipping I had to eat. And I have this scary feeling the seller will get it back and say "Oops, like you didn't pack it well enough so it's damaged now. Here's 50% of what you paid."

And the sales rep told me that Armor Bodies won't accomodate the factory exhaust cat, so I had to get a full exhaust. $$$ A full exhaust just won't do if you don't have a power commander, right? ;) $$ And what good is it to have that free-flowing exhaust if you aren't getting massive quantities of air into the intake? Hello BMC filter. $ Do I dare get the bike dyno tuned or just make do with a map from dynojet? My wallet says make do with a stock map.

Something tells me all this crap is costing me about what it would cost to replace the factory bodywork. All hail the king of false economy! :banghead:

At least the bike will be lighter now.
What bike? A slip on works on my '07 gsxr, but on that year bike, adding a slip on removes the cat. It's the Yosh R55, so it does have a muffler hanging down near where the cat was. My impression was that it was about the same distance, but perhaps not.

Edit, never mind, I see it's an '08. Yeah, a slip on for that year won't remove the cat.
Haha, enjoy your purchases. It never ends!!! Believe me! ;)

1literduceater

Not to be a massive jerk here....but I think that most of us have gone through this at least once.....me...probably 2 or 3 times. I tend to buy used stuff to attempt to keep costs down. I bought a 08 GSXR 750 last year all set up and ready to go....since then I have spent about $2000 changing an already very capable bike. Go figure!

I dont know how much you plan on riding, what your capabilites are, etc....but money is the issue I think I would concentrate my coin on seat time instead of all the other.

Now I am curious. How much will you have invested after the bodywork issues, buying new bodywork, exhaust, paint, rear sets, etc vs. the cost of replacing OEM bodywork in the case of an incident??

Saltman

Yea it never ends. I've already got stuff lined up to purchase and I don't even have the bike yet. I just like getting packages delivered to me. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I check online to see that it's been delivered and then rush home to see the box of goodies waiting for me on my doorstep.

Swodi

1literduceater;174321 wrote: Not to be a massive jerk here....but I think that most of us have gone through this at least once.....me...probably 2 or 3 times. I tend to buy used stuff to attempt to keep costs down. I bought a 08 GSXR 750 last year all set up and ready to go....since then I have spent about $2000 changing an already very capable bike. Go figure!

I dont know how much you plan on riding, what your capabilites are, etc....but money is the issue I think I would concentrate my coin on seat time instead of all the other.

Now I am curious. How much will you have invested after the bodywork issues, buying new bodywork, exhaust, paint, rear sets, etc vs. the cost of replacing OEM bodywork in the case of an incident??
Right now I have about $1800 in it (on top the purchase cost of the bike, obviously). Would that cover new OEM bodywork? Maybe. Do I care? Not really. I'm willing to spend the money for the weight savings. It's not like I'm going into debt for any of this. I only spend money on the bike after I've paid for everything else (mortgage, insurance, groceries, retirement, savings, etc.). Whatever money I have in my checking account is play money. All my bills and savings are deducted before I see a dime. Not sure if you've ever read The Automatic Millionaire, but it's kind of like that.

As far as seat time, free time is the limiting factor. The wife and I don't live in the same state, so I spend many weekends travelling to see her and our daughter. I could go to the track more, but it would cost me time with my family. No amount of money can make up for that lost time.

tiggen

Saltman;174342 wrote: Yea it never ends. I've already got stuff lined up to purchase and I don't even have the bike yet. I just like getting packages delivered to me. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I check online to see that it's been delivered and then rush home to see the box of goodies waiting for me on my doorstep.
+1 Love that.

hank

You know you have it bad when you justify spending extra for titanium over steel because the lighter weight saves on postage... ;)

Saltman

hank;174402 wrote: You know you have it bad when you justify spending extra for titanium over steel because the lighter weight saves on postage... ;)
LOL. I would consider that smart thinking!

meganogin

Changing your own tires is easy once you do it a couple of times. I bought a bead breaker from Pitposse and a balancer from harbor freight. All you need is elbow grease and some Simple Green(it is Super slippery)