Aloha from North Carolina?

chaveezy

Hey all, I'm considering NESBA for some track days as I've been riding street for a few years now and I think I want to take it to another level. I've had this 2009 R1 for almost a year now and its been down once doing some "spirited" street riding, and that was one of my deciding factors to not take it to the "limit" on the street anymore, it's just too dangerous worrying about that sudden stoppage that could be fatal. It's happened too much and I don't really want to end up a statistic.

So I'm looking at VIR in July/August time frames but I'm more worried about transportation and lodging than anything else, it's hard to put a finger on a date, and I'm leaning towards renting a UHAUL transport for my first couple of track days to see if it's really for me, if it is, I'll buy a trailer and support equipment. Anyone ever use the UHAUL method?

I'm also looking into Cornerspeed Racing school, should I do a few track days first or go straight into the school?

Hope to see some of you soon! :D

~Brandon

img8827.jpg

Meat

Welcome Brandon!

Very wise choice to get off the street for your high speed thrills. I have seen a few U-Haul trailers used to transport bikes to the track, but I know very little about the open UHaul trailers. I used an enclosed 6X12 when I moved to SC, to transport 2 bikes The enclosed trailer will need some sort of chock to keep your bike secure.

VIR has some great courses. I have ridden North, South and Full (haven't done Grand or Patriot) and love them all.

Ask whatever questions you need answers to on the forum. There are a ton of people to help you out. And when you are at the track introduce yourself around the paddock and tell everyone that it is your first track day and they will go out of their way to help you in any way they can.

zuluhour

depending on how long it takes you could just drive to the track and back in the same day to save on lodging. I'm in the triangle and it takes about 1.5 hours each way. I usually borrow my brother's truck and load it up the night before and leave 5am on the track day.

Any school you can afford is probably a good idea. Track riding is sorta like golf in that it's better to learn right the first time rather than have to break bad habits later. But if you're just looking to see if this is something you'll enjoy try a trackday first I'd say.

Of course I say all that and have never taken a school before but am solidly into my second season of track riding...

DFlowe

Brandon,
That's a nice looking R1 and I applaud you for getting off the street with the "spirited" riding. It's much more fun on the track, not as dangerous and no speeding tickets to deal with. Besides, the camaraderie and friends you make at the track are fantastic.

A U-haul trailer will certainly work fine and I've seen other use them in the past. Just strap your bike down good and make sure you carry all the essentials. I don't know where you live in NC, but I'm in Charlotte and have room on the trailer if you need a lift. I'm scheduled for VIR South on 7/3 & 7/4 and again on 8/21 & 8/22. Just let me know if you need a lift.

As for accommodations, I usually camp at the track. However, there's a decent Comfort Inn on highway 58 in Danville that a lot of people use. It's about 15 minutes or so away form the track and close to restaurants in the area.

dfaldridge

My .02, is to do a couple track days first and get some of the initial jitters out of the way. Figure out what all you need as far as gear and what not and that the gear is comfortable. Then do the school. Arron runs a good school, but I think to get the most bang for your buck. Ride a couple times on the track so you know where to focus your attention and the jitters are all out of the way. You can have information overload and get very little from instruction and feel like you need to go back through later to get all of the info.

The first time i was on a track was a Cornerspeed school and it was a blurr just trying to think of everything I needed, bathroom breaks, filling the bike up with gas and getting into the classroom on time etc... rush back out on to the track and practice the drills they just taught you... WAIT, what were supposed to be working on?:notsure: Oh yea the no brakes drill :banghead:

Now, track days are relaxing and I should go back through the school again and pick up the things I didn't get.

cartmen34

VIR has several options as far as accommodations on the grounds. Camping has already been mentioned, but they also have The Lodge which is a small hotel, and The Villas, which are self-contained townhomes overlooking the South course.

That's what me and my buds have done in the past and it worked out great. 3 of us stayed in one Villa. It's a little pricey, ($99+tax @ the lodge & $150+tax @ the villas), but nice to be able to unload your stuff in the paddock the night before, then the next morning simply wake up, drive to the paddock and you're already setup 'n ready to rock.

chaveezy

Wow, great information friends! We've just moved to the Jacksonville, NC area and I am seriously considering the July event, however, I think that may be a little close as far as my scheduling goes. It may work still. Now on the R1-Forum there are a bunch of people in various NC areas that are setting up a 3 day event in August (21-23), however, if I can't make the July event I will surely do the August one.

DFLOWE - Thank you very much for the offer, I would love to grab a ride up with someone at some point, but Charlotte is 4 hours in the wrong direction! Haha, it would be great to meet up at the track though, and spend some time talking with some of you guys that have ridden track for a while.

I have a question for you guys, being that it's a pretty big expenditure to ride track days, is it satisfying enough to just do it every couple of months? Don't you just want to hit a back road every once in a while? I realize that you don't need to drag knees every time you go ride but the exhilaration of "spirited" riding (track or street) is an addiction and I think just one (or if I'm lucky, two) days at the track just wouldn't be enough every couple months. I'm also considering selling my 09 R1 and purchasing a track only bike so that I can't take it out on the street.. Just wish I lived closer than four hours from the track!

Thanks for everything fellow riders, keep the shiny side up!

Brandon

DFlowe

Quote: I have a question for you guys, being that it's a pretty big expenditure to ride track days, is it satisfying enough to just do it every couple of months? Don't you just want to hit a back road every once in a while? I realize that you don't need to drag knees every time you go ride but the exhilaration of "spirited" riding (track or street) is an addiction and I think just one (or if I'm lucky, two) days at the track just wouldn't be enough every couple months. I'm also considering selling my 09 R1 and purchasing a track only bike so that I can't take it out on the street.. Just wish I lived closer than four hours from the track

Brandon,
Once you try track riding one time, most people want to do it as often as possible. Start out by going as often as you can and then see where it leads you. Selling your R1 and getting an exclusive track bike is certainly an option, I would just recommend that you use what you have for now and see how you feel after a track day or two.

For me, I much prefer the track over street riding and when I do ride on the street, it's usually done without too much speed.

See you at a track soon,

chaveezy

Oh, and by the way guys, I've done three or four "pseudo" track days in Hawaii, it's where Dylan Code (Keith Code's son) comes out with a few helpers, they set up a coned off course, give us the little classes with drills, good throttle control, bad throttle control, factors of motorcycling, no brake drills, 2nd gear drills, entry speed drills, etc. It's an alright experience but I'm sure it's NOTHING like a track day. There can be no comparison I'm sure, but I think they were heading in the right direction and overall, I may have learned a thing or two, they just seem to pull you over so much for "advice", you get more worried about them waving you in than riding and having fun. They also had some really bad corner entries that had painted taxi way lines which my front tire slipped on one, saved it, then he told me I was riding at my limit, but actually I was riding at the limit of the corner, I don't know, I just get frustrated with their nit picking sometimes.

Anyhoo, thanks again!

WERAYZFR6

Once you get accustomed to the track you will give up the street. I at one time was putting 15k or more miles on the twisty roads of Western N.C. every year for about 5 years ( enjoyed every weekend) then I did my first track day about 6 years ago. No intention but to say " I did it" , BOY WAS I WRONG THEIR. I went from 4 days a year to about 8 to 10 . I put maybe 100 street miles at the first of the season just for pre-track warmup. This year no street miles and don't miss it. The thrill of the street is gone and the challenge of cutting 3 to 5 seconds off my lap time , setting up for that outside pass or trying to hang with the fast guys is so much more of a rush. NESBA has a free intro program for experiencing 1 or 2 sessions that will allow you the chance to get addicted. They also have a pay ahead credit program (ex. 600 credits for $500. may not be those exact numbers but close ) for the guys like me on a tight budget.

chaveezy

Sounds great! I just got done talking it over with the wife and it looks like she's good with going up there on the 4th of July, do they do any kind of fireworks display? Or maybe near there? Looks like I'll be hitting the track sooner than later, now I'm excited..

Thanks for everything.

mac

i always rent a 4 x 7 u haul trailer to go to the track. costs $17 including the tax here. im gradually giving up the street so ill probably buy a trailer this yr. last year only did 4 track days. on pace for 8-10 this yr. trailers seem to hold their value well, so its seems like a pretty good investment?

jasonhise

I am in Jacksonville too and I actually passed you on that bike today and I was thinking..."Man, that's a nice bike, he should be on the track" Small world huh??? Hit me up w/ a PM and maybe we can hit the track along w/ some of the other track rats I hang with while I'm there....

chaveezy

Such a good welcoming!

Mac - Definitely a good investment, soon I'll also be looking for one also!

Jason - PM Sent!

Man, this track day stuff is EXPENSIVE! I've been spending money like it's cool trying to get everything ready, but I've got the canopy, 5 gallon fuel container, tape for lights, trailer rental, hitch, late fees (doh), and villa rental.. It's ok, as long as I'm happy my wife says (lets see how long that lasts!)

noobinacan

hey...welcome dude
lots of folks from NC that track.

and very nice looking bike...lots of info on these forums in terms of prep/setup/check lists. haha
tech etc.

Most importantly...just take a slow approach to all this...take your time.
Like I was told at CMP this past weekend..."its a vacation" haha

We'll be at VIR North in August.