Amp

stow

AMP is only about 30-40 minutes from my house and I was so looking forward to them finishing the track. After watching the video of the track on Youtube, I will not ride there. I just can't imagine how someone building a track in this economy would decide to build it in a way that eliminates a good portion of their customer base.

I do wish them well, and I hope they pull some business from Road Atlanta only to free up more weekends for us. :D

Domenic

stow;241020 wrote: AMP is only about 30-40 minutes from my house and I was so looking forward to them finishing the track. After watching the video of the track on Youtube, I will not ride there. I just can't imagine how someone building a track in this economy would decide to build it in a way that eliminates a good portion of their customer base.

I do wish them well, and I hope they pull some business from Road Atlanta only to free up more weekends for us. :D
:agree:

Ruhe52

Would rather ride the Dragon's Tail with a blindfold on. Too many things that you can hit right on edge of track. They make it safer for bike them perhaps but I would never consider turning a motorcycle wheel on it.

JRA

That is what it reminds me of. It's a whole lot like a mountain road without oncoming traffic.

I haven't seen it in person but Bob and DJ have been out and looked at it, and we've also gotten feedback from others that we trust. Among these people there is a 100% consensus that it isn't safe for motorcycles to race on or ride on like we would at a normal track day. I know we're going to again be accused by some of over-reacting just like we have been for our stance on Monticello and Shenandoah, but this one is a no-brainer. I think even from the video it's pretty obvious.

We were all hoping for another venue where we can ride but sadly AMP isn't going to be it without significant improvements that would make it a lot safer.

sheepofblue

I never raced at Nashville due to the things I heard about the transistion off the bank, I would likely not go to AMP either. There is enough risk without being stupid. To me large portions of that track look like the old turn 12 at Road Atlanta... well OK the whole thing kind of does. There is even sections that removing the armco would make it pretty safe as there is a hill to slow/stop things behind it.

Good decision I would think at this time.

JRA

I think that's a good call for a couple of reasons. If no bike organizations will rent the track then at some point they may make safety improvements to open up that additional source of revenue. Also many riders place their full trust in the organization running the event and just assume that if we're running there it's a safe track. It's just not practical to say "Hey, this track has some sketchy places so no passing in this turn, back it down in this other turn, don't run off back there in the back or you might fall off a cliff." Overall it's a really good thing for everyone when the different organizations agree that a particular track isn't safe. Good decision Trevor.

mastermind

John,

Thank you for the support - I very much appreciate it.

The post that the link goes to I had to take down - but it basically says we won't be running at AMP.

t

betarace

So AMP (on their Facebook Page) http://www.facebook.com/atlantamotorsportspark is claiming that they have "A MAJOR BIKE GOVERNING BODY SAYING ITS OK" as well as "TWO WORLD CHAMPIONS SAYING IT IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ROAD ATLANTA OR BARBER"
j5xw8p.jpg

Kudos to NEBSA and STT for taking a stand for our safety!!

Mr.DJ

mastermind;242419 wrote: We will not be running AMP this year.

STT @ AMP

It's unfortunate they don't want to accommodate motorcycles.

best,
t

Thanks for posting up your thoughts on this. I know the pressure to run comes from so many angles. Regardless of what others say about how safe it is or who endorses it as equivalent to X, we are ultimately responsible for our members/customers. You have to trust your "Spidy Senses" and the fact we both can have 30+ on the track w/ varying skill levels, we (STT and NESBA) have a unique perspective.

NESBA took a "wait and see" approach (which is risky in itself). I'm sure if we are to run that track in the future and with the numbers we hope to run, changes will happen. If not, I'll be out there on my Kart ;)

Good call and again thanks for posting!

DJ

mastermind

madriders86;243012 wrote: makes me want to ride with stt a little bit more ;D
Whoa...... now, now..... no need to go to extremes here..... ;)

Seriously though.... NESBA and STT have always been a bit different.... and I think that's ok. I'm glad in situations like this we can support one another. It makes me smile.

t