Android Trackmaster

tiggen

Here's the linky:

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a GPS based lap timer for $6.99. Yes, you read that correctly. The catch is that you need a phone that runs Android 2.1.

SO, who uses this? I took it for a test ride around the block at lunch, and it was unsuccessful. My split markers weren't even close to the road. Anybody with any hints?

I have set up another "test track" closer to home and been much more precise with the points on Google Earth. Will try again when I get home this afternoon.

Anybody use this on RA? Would love to try it next Friday. If not I guess I'll just have to make my own file.

tofstfouru

Love the idea hope it is accurate and works. I would love to save some money and have a app like this that tracks my splits and overall track times.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
nice idea for those who do not want to cash out on a GPS based lap timer. However, you are missing out on a unit like the GPX. SOOOOOOOmuch more valuable information other than "look how fast I am"

tiggen

Well, it worked much better once I set the splits as precisely as I could on Google Earth. It worked half the time (two out of four laps), but to be fair there was a lot of tree cover and homes on the streets. Gave me max and avg speed, max accel and lateral G, and a cool little replay overlaid on a Google Earth sat image. Gonna try it in a big empty lot tomorrow.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Again, nice to know information...not need to know....

Need to know: how much throttle am i applying, am i applying it smoothly, and were am i braking and letting off the brakes.

granted, for braking the accelerameter will tell ya that....but not throttle position. Also RPM's is nice to know...that way you may be able to shift down another gear and get a better drive outta the corner.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Mr. Cinco..please correct your signature to properly reflect your new group. :)

GregGorman

GPS is so cool!!!

The reason it only worked for two of four laps or so is because phone based GPSs are too slow and lack the sensitivity need for high speed work. They update their location only once a second or longer. You can get bluetooth GPS antenna that will update five times a second for about $60. Something like this will give you much more consistent results.

I have a similar setup to you. I use RaceChrono and with a Windows Mobile phone and then output that to a Video file that I can overlay on top of my On board videos. RaceChrono is free.

Also, you could just use one of http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1000EX-F.htm if you don't need immediate feedback on laptimes.

tiggen

Today I used it in a parking lot at the mall, basically did laps around this one section. (Got some weird looks.) There were no tall buildings or tree cover for a good ways around. It worked flawlessly for all six laps.

Found out that it also gives me a theoretical best lap by combing my best split times from all laps.

tofstfouru

Any more info on this app have you used it on the track yet? Thinking about picking it up and running it at Road America to see how it does.