Another NESBA sandbagger wins at Road America

gkotlin

ronhix;138034 wrote: Awesome Greg!! I know you started that journey a long time back, congratulations on finishing it this past weekend.
It's kind of an understatement, but totally true. 16 years ago I bought my first bike. 15 years ago, I had a near fatal street crash and didn't ride again till 2006. But all I wanted to do was go race. Then I found out about track days 4 years ago. Bought a bike and got a race license. I decided I had lots to learn before racing and did track days for a year before trying my first race.

About the same time, I became a CR and enjoyed coaching so much, I decided racing wasn't a big deal. I just enjoyed coaching so much, I did only that one race event. Last year I got hurt and was really thinking it was time to give this hobby up. I went to the Yamaha school and realized I have lots to learn and still can grow as a rider.

A friend is a vendor at CCS events and asked if I could help out at a few rounds. So I can pretty much go these rounds and race for almost nothing. So it's hard to pass up the opportunity. I always dreamed of racing a motorcycle and finishing on the podium. I just didn't want it to happen because the grid was only 2 people, or the leaders crashed out. I wanted to EARN a race podium.

The ultralight weight super bike race was just that. I tried to launch in second gear :doh:
That didn't work to well. So I was last into turn 1 on 2 wave, 3 race combined group race. I started last in row 22. The bad start didn't help. I just went into Ben Spies mode and started passing anyone I could see anywhere I could. It worked out and I took the win. I went to check the board when the results were posted. I passed so many bikes, I really had no idea who I was racing against. As I get older, I get more emotional. It think it's because of all the Fru Fru drinks I like. I read the results on the board and there was my name. Right next to #1. I walked back to my pits to call my girlfriend and was so overtaken with emotion she couldn't understand my voice mail. As you stated, this was a life goal that I've had for a long time and was never sure I could achieve it.

The lightweight super stock race was a battle. I was behind the leader for 3 laps and reeled him in. Then I got by on the brakes going into the bend. He motored right past on the back straight. Then the last lap, I had to push. I got close, but couldn't get past. So I figured I could make a late lap pass and hope for the best. I drove hard through 13 and didn't brake until I thought I'd lose the front. I went underneath through 14. I got to the top of the hill before he motored past for the win. But there is nothing more rewarding then knowing you earned something.

I felt good when he came to my pit after we were torn down for air box inspection at post race tech. He told me that I had "some real skills and couldn't believe I was making up those gaps in the corners."

Thanks to every Nesba CR that helped me get here. Brian Wink, Ron Hix, Marshall Skloss, Heath Locum, Barry Dolan, Melissa Appel, Carol Drucker and probably many more people I'm forgetting. I have great family and friends that support me in this hobby. Thanks to all of you for your kind words and taking a few minutes to read this and post. No one was more nervous on their first track day. Nesba staff rocks! I hope some of the new members out there read this and believe that with our help, their goals are within reach. It won't always be easy, but whether you want to do well and race, bump up through our group structure or just progress to be a better, safer rider and have fun. This is the place to make it happen!

ZLTFUL

Grats Greg. And all of this after 2 hours of sleep on Wednesday and all dressed up for court! ;)

Meat

Awesome Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks for the write up. I got really excited reading it.

Sklossmonster

Outstanding work, Greg, way to go!

You're a credit to the sport, you've got a heart of gold, and now you've got a first place finish to go with it, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Good on you.

Cyclepath

Im proud of you buddy. Very proud....

Next stop, Blackhawk,
Items needed for gregs new addiction
1. 3 sets of spare rims
2. an entire spare bike
3. 55 gallon drum of race fuel
4. motor build
5. spare helmets, gloves, boots, tearoffs
6. 3 full sets of freshly painted bodywork
7. truck and toyhauler
8. Preenter for 18 races
9. Jon Gu as crew chief

We could still win this thing, we just have to keep our eye on the prize and be realisitic. Ok, so where is your credit card???

Bucky Badger

Greg,

We grew up in NESBA together starting about the same time, getting our I and A bumps around the same time and then moving on to become CR's and it is really cool to see this come full circle for you.

Thanks for everything you do for the club and for being the giving person you are.

gkotlin

Bucky Badger;138392 wrote: Greg,

We grew up in NESBA together starting about the same time, getting our I and A bumps around the same time and then moving on to become CR's and it is really cool to see this come full circle for you.

Thanks for everything you do for the club and for being the giving person you are.
Thanks for all the kind posts everyone. With a gearing change and a little pressure put on me, I think I found about 8-10 seconds between the Nesba days and the weekend. i actually hit the times I thought I would need to be at. I'm still not sure how. It's amazing how deep you can go on the brakes when you need to. It's such a fast track that everything makes a huge difference there. Go fast in the fast corners. There are plenty of them at Road America.

I can't believe how directly the skills I learned at the Yamaha Champions Rider School applied directly to my comfort level and precision on the track this weekend. When I was riding focused, I didn't miss an apex. I actually was to far inside so many times. So there is more speed to be gained out there.

Blume, you need to quit getting faster so I can pass you again like the old days. I did ride a 1000 there on Thursday. WOW! The speed is insane. My top speed on the SV is like 3rd or 4th gear on the 1000. I'll definitely have to do some more riding on the bikes.