Another Tire Question

tankslapper

I am making my transition from the street where I road Pilot Powers on a GSXR-1000 to my track prepped GSXR-750. I ride in the intermediate sessions. My question is two-fold.
1) How many track days can I expect to get out of a set of decent DOT-Race-Track Tires assuming I ride all or most of the sessions?
2) How can I tell when it is time to chuck my tires. Do I go by the wear bars, feel, number of sessions or some closely guarded track day formula?

I realize I have a new addiction and I am getting ready to mentally prepare for my increased tire budget. I will probably have to tell the wife that one set of tires will last all year even though I know for sure that is not the case.

Cheers.

Sklossmonster

Also, keep in mind there are a ton of variables in the answers to your question. Weather conditions, pressures used, track surface condition, suspension settings, with or without tire warmers, how well you know the track, compound selection, how many sessions you get in the day, etc..

So it's a hard to say exactly how long they "should" last, especially when you're at a level in your riding when you're getting faster all the time, so it's really a moving target until you've levelled out in your own consistency.

Plus, what's garbage to one rider is a "take off" to someone else, so only you can say when your tire has no more value to you. I've seen people pay money for take-offs I wouldn't put on my bike if you paid me.

And then of course you have to consider the fact that pure race tires are only really designed to last a pro rider on a pro bike for just that one race!

No matter what, the right tire pressures, the right compound selection, good suspension set up, and proper use of tire warmers will ensure you get as much life out of that tire as you can.

Sklossmonster

Oh yeah, and if you can't afford pure race tires, there are now plenty of good options available in the hybrid "race/street" category of tires, which don't require warmers and last longer than race rubber.

Such as ... http://www.turnoneracing.com/Tires-c27/

If you have more questions, you can contact me directly at 847-254-8009.