Another 'What tire' thread....

vanelli56

Starting to get excited for another riding season... street and track.
With that, was hoping to get some thoughts on what tires to run this year.
I have a 2004 Aprilia Tuono that handles both my street and track duties, and I am about 290 lbs... so I def. give tires a good work out, and I run a mid-pack Intermediate Pace.

Wanted to see what people could suggest for a decent track/street tire?

I know I could go the Diablo SP-v2 or BStones RS10 route.... but I have read that people only get maybe two days max out of those. Also hear good things about the Q3's, they seem to be the consistent and stable tire... but tend to get greasy when pushed really hard. But being a heavier rider, they might get greasy quicker; but they seem to have a better lifespan... 3-4 track days perhaps?

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on what you think would be a great tire that can take the loads, and have a moderate longevity... but also give good feedback and feel planted. (I know.... I want it ALL! lol)

Any and all thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gene-o

2blueyam

I am in a similar boat. I ride at the faster end of intermediate, although only about 175lb + gear. I usually take my 2003 track only R1 as my track bike with the Pirelli Superbike racing slicks on it and get 4 days out of a rear and about 8 out of a front. I know others get a lot fewer days out of their tires and I know on my 4th day on the rear, it does tend to spin up a bit if I get greedy with the throttle.

But I am loaning my R1 to a friend for 2 days. He is flying in and I am going to take my lovely 2007 Tuono out on the track for the first time. I am also debating between the Q3 and the SP-V2 since I want a tire that can work on the street. I can get a really good deal on a set of Q3's so they are about 1/2 the cost of a set of SP-V2 tires. I am afraid since I am used to the incredible grip of the racing slicks and the feel of Pirellis in general, that the Q3s will not give me the performance that I want and also risking a lot more the $200 if I crash due to the lower performance threshold of the Q3s or my inability to adjust to them. So I am going to spend the bucks on the SP-V2s and maybe get a set of the Q3s for when I am done with my 2 track days on the Tuono and the SP-V2s are worn out.

Can you run fast track days on Q3s? Sure and many people do. To me spending more on tires is way cheaper than fixing the bike and paying hospital bills. Pretty much the same reason I bought a good custom Ohlins shock to replace the Sachs and got my Ohlins forks serviced on my Tuono just for two track days, although I will admit it does handle and ride better on the street this way too. Spending on these things will not impact the number of track days I can afford to go to. I am lucky for that. Your situation might be different. You might not be used to the grip of a race tire or you might be used to the feel of Dunlops or BStones. One last parting thought, if the Q3s are going to be "in your head", get the better tires, even if that means spending more and not lasting as long. There is too much happening too fast out on the track to spend time thinking about your tires while you are riding.

See you at the track. I hope this helped.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I am not even a Dunlop fan, but their Q3's are just an outstanding tire. They grip great, warm up quick, and the best part of all, they are very cheap compared to the other brands of tires that are the Q3's competition.

I don't think being a heavier rider will cause the Q3's to get greasy quicker. You might want to bump up the PSI a pound or two in the rear, simply because you'll have more weight on the tire. I'd try them at the normal suggested temperatures and see what happens and adjust if you have to.

bmart

Control Rider
Tires, like oil, can produce more of a philosophical discussion than a factual one. People like different characteristics. I prefer the feedback of a Dunlop over the others and have been coaching on the Q3 rears for years without issue. Some of my best lap times have been on the Q3 over the 211/212/GP-PRO. To me, they provide they feedback needed to push harder. It is when you get to max lean angle that the race tires will outperform. For track days, theQ3 tires superb. I had the B-bike last year, not set up for me yet, within 1 second per lap with a Q3 front and rear. They're pretty great tires.

I have read a lot about recommended pressure and found that 35.5 hot off of hte warmers on the rear seems to provide the best overall grip.

vanelli56

Thanks for the thoughts. I was lucky enought to score some dunlop race takeoffs (gpa's i think)... For the two days i did last year. They felt sooooo good, never had a single slip, slide, or butt puckering moment....But now ive just been clocking street miles on them untill i get some new rubber.
Def. Thinking about the q3's because so many riders use them... If nothing else, should be able to get some good tips on pressures and what not.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the q3 stacks against the pirelli rosso corsa?
Still a little more then the q3, but not sure about the performance vs the q3.

Thanks,
Gene-o

meanstrk

Control Rider
I have an 07 Tuono and run nothing but Q3's on it. These are the best and most versatile tire I have ever run across for street and track use. I have run a Q3 rear on my Gix 1000 with slick front as well with excellent results.

FlaGatorL

Q3 are great tires. I've ran fast pace on them. I have also used sp and they were also great. I don't think one is better than the other. To me anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FlaGatorL

Thanks for the thoughts. I was lucky enought to score some dunlop race takeoffs (gpa's i think)... For the two days i did last year. They felt sooooo good, never had a single slip, slide, or butt puckering moment....But now ive just been clocking street miles on them untill i get some new rubber.
Def. Thinking about the q3's because so many riders use them... If nothing else, should be able to get some good tips on pressures and what not.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the q3 stacks against the pirelli rosso corsa?
Still a little more then the q3, but not sure about the performance vs the q3.

Thanks,
Gene-o
Great tires. I will control ride on q3s and to be honest I could race them if need be. I also have ran a sp tire at barber when it will under 40 degrees and was control riding for intermediate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mpusch

Micah
Just picked up a set of Q3s myself for the Daytona. Mostly used Pilot Power 3s, then SBK Pros, then Supercorsas after I highsided with the SBK pro rear in a race. Heard so many good things about the Q3s, that I figure I might run them for TDs and use the SCs for racing.

vanelli56

Well, just when I thought I was going to pull the trigger on some Q3's.... Saw Bridgestone was running their 50 dollar rebate when you buy a set. Found a set of the RS10's online for 250 shipped, so after the rebate, they'll be 200 bucks for a set.
At that deal... I actually got two sets. So looks like I'll be rolling on some bstones this season.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the different rubber.
Hoping to start the season at Road Atl. in April. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts on the RS 10's.

mpusch

Micah
Sounds like a good deal, nice!

As a heads up for the Q3 fan crowd, riders discount has a crazy deal on them right now. $179 a set, but if you buy 4 quarts of Maxima oil ($50) you get a $60 rebate.