Any advice for first race weekend?

rk97

alright everyone - i hate to ask about racing on a weekend when there's a NESBA event pretty close by, but I also want to do you all proud :D

My big yellow "I" sticker got covered up by my bigger yellow number plate :(. Even so, I'm hoping to go out and rep NESBA by passing some slower riders with "A" stickers from other orgs. (If I could get a "B" sticker from someone, that would be fantastic btw)

Any words of wisdom, or things you wish you'd done differently the first time you went racing?

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Work on starts before you start racing, dont race somewhere where you are not comfortable, be carefull of turn one first lap!! :wow: it can get a bit shady lol

rk97

I'm comfortable(ish) at Nelson. As comfortable as anyone can be on that patchwork quilt of a track anyway... I think my race start practice is going to be relegated to the beginning of practice sessions. On top of that, the weather is kind of supposed to suck. We'll see how this goes down.

Mikey75702

rk97;185523 wrote: I'm comfortable(ish) at Nelson. As comfortable as anyone can be on that patchwork quilt of a track anyway... I think my race start practice is going to be relegated to the beginning of practice sessions. On top of that, the weather is kind of supposed to suck. We'll see how this goes down.
I've read that the best practice for a race start is a test and tune night at the drag strip... not sure if it really helps that much though... and as said earlier watch turn one... from all the footage I've seen it looks pretty crazy.

Dave561

Control Rider
You can't win if you don't finish so that is job#1 and is a non-negotionable. Be aware that Nelson does funnel down a bit so on a race start it does get a bit narrow plus track day does nothing to prepare you for going 5 wide on a race start with a dozen bikes in front or behind you. After about T5 it's basically like a track day. Pass the ones you can and get passed by the ones you can't hold off.

Matt H

Don't over think or over worry about the start. Better off just getting off the line and not stalling, and don't try to get into first place by turn one, lol. Get going, get into groove, pass at will. HAVE FUN!! Seriously. Too many people overdo their first race.

Macon663

Your first race is kind of like your first lay. Its over sooner than you think and you probably won't finish as strong as you wanted. But its an experience you'll never forget. And it'll start a foundation to build on for the future.

Agree w/ Matt. Don't over think it.

dbakerpa

Dont try to win at the start. I watched a couple of noobs (before my first race) run off at turn one. I also saw a fantastic tail stand. My first race I had such a slow start I was laughing into turn one -but I didnt run off and got it under my belt. Good luck brother. I did three races and was tired as hell. Totally hooked now.

some guy #2

Yeah, just get the bike rolling and don't crash. You just need to finish this and one more weekend then you can toss it down the track. If this year is anything like last, where you start is probably where you will end up unless you can pass the 2 other people in your group :)

Have fun, I'm still debating to renew my license for Grattan or G-man this summer.

gkotlin

Just do what you do at trackdays at first. Just toss the passing rules out the window. Ride smart. Ride relaxed and smooth. None of us are racing at the bike and tires full potential like our Moto GP counterparts. Typically it's a race about pace. Your battles will be with riders of similar pace. If that happens to be the pace of the front runners, even better! You aren't going to have any more skill or experience then what you already have when you get to the track. Meaning. Racing happens between the ears. How fast you go and how you ride are pretty much built in to your current skill set. You may pick up a little time in the "urgency" of getting to the front, but you won't become Spies by the end of the first day. Know your limits and don't push to far beyond just because of a silly wood trophy. Each race is a test of your mind. Make good decisions. Setup every corner for a pass. But if you can't get it done, be ready to back out of it. If someone makes a mistake, you're all ready in place to put the moves on them. To many people forget their foundational skills, push to hard and ride way over their head. The best racers at this level let the bike do what it does and change the tactics in their head. Executing is the hard the part.

Most important, be sure to have fun and don't put yourself in a bad situation. It's amateur racing. It's not worth getting hurt. Some of your competitors won't have the skill you've developed that got you to the Nesba I group.

The next best advice I can give is pit with or near a more experienced racer that can show you the ropes. How to find your grid positions and how to make sure you remember them on the grid. How to get ready for races. Meaning, hearing the race calls. When to remove your warmers etc. Someone that knows that track might be able to give you passing or defensive line strategy.

Have fun, be safe! Tech your bike yourself after each race. Check yourself before each race.

Post up what a great time you had when it's done.

rk97

alright, basically I'm hearing sit back and enjoy the ride. I can do that.

I'm planning to pit with people who have raced before, but the paddock at Nelson is so small, who knows where I'll actually end up...

I know at an "I" pace i'm not going to be challenging anyone for the lead, but I would like to think I'll hold my own against the other new racers, and even a few of the veteran novices. We'll see how it goes.

fitz

Who you racing with Chris, Motoseries?

My hats off to you for having the guts to grid up and on a track that is challenge in its own right with unique "personality".

Best of luck to you. :first:

fitz

rk97

WERA. I've got the stickers to prove it (hint hint NESBA staff ;) )

226511_694064003230_21903818_37248290_188188_s.jpg

Moto Series will recognize a WERA license, but WERA won't recognize a Moto Series license, so it makes more sense to do WERA's school.

Racing really opens up my scheduling options for the season, and legitimizing doing more events w/ NESBA at certain tracks. Plus I'm hoping it teaches me to be a little more aggressive when needed.

I will say that between a transponder and new leathers, my season budget has taken a serious hit, but being able to ride closer to home more often offsets some of that cost - more and more as gas prices rise.

Todd Stinson

Remember to have fun.

Write down your grid position on some tape and put it on your tank. Your mind will go blank when you go around the last turn on the out lap and approach the grid. Same goes for noting if you are in the first or second wave (combined race).

You will make mistakes. Don't fret about the first lap, it's mostly about survival so most of your lines go out the window. Second lap settle down and find your pace/rhythm. Good luck!

Rydell

One of the common habits I see with some of the veteran racers, around the same lines as what Todd said, are notes on a piece of tape somewhere on the gas tank, or even on the brake reservoir.

For me, this definitely helps get help get thoughts straight under certain stressful situations. I started doing it after one of Aaron Stevensons schools. I had:
----------
Be smooth.
Breath.
1.Sit-up pull-off
2.Brake
3.Downshift
4.Body Position
5.Lean
6.Turn / Gas
Breath. Smooth.

------------

This was helping me setup for a corner. What I wrote has changed a bit since then, but even racing is along the same lines. Throwing your grid position on there definitely wouldnt be a bad idea. I can overwhelm myself with the concern doing everything well, or even right in the first place, and end up forgetting even the basics simply because of not getting my thoughts straight. So this serves me as an outline and reference to calm me down and know everything I need to do is right there.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it went. :tothetrack:

As a side note, I recently noticed we've got a good amount of I riders in NESBA who are racing and competing at other orgs more advanced levels. That's awesome. Makes ya proud to be part of such a "elite" group :first:

dbakerpa

I do have a note on the back of my windscreen to relax the hands and shoulders. It keeps me from death gripping the hell out of the bars.
You will want to put some tape on your tank with your race #, and grid position for each race. That will avoid confusion after your sighting lap.
I also tape it up on a sheet of paper in the pits.

My advice is "go fast, take chances"

I got a question about pre signup with CCS.... I looked all over that ccsracing.us site and don't see anyplace to signup online. Don't tell me i have to fax dat shit?

bart

Meat

design-engine;186195 wrote: My advice is "go fast, take chances"

I got a question about pre signup with CCS.... I looked all over that ccsracing.us site and don't see anyplace to signup online. Don't tell me i have to fax dat shit?

bart
Yep, must fax. In the Florida region you can't even fax. You must mail in your stuff, but I have to say that the one race I did in the Florida region was run very well and the officials were so friendly and easy to work with.

Chad Dupree

I would suggest going ahead and fill out the tech form before you get to the track. You can print it off the Wera main page under the forms section. Also remember, when you go thru tech you'll need your lower off the bike and don't forget to bring with you the tech form and your race entry receipt that registration gives to you. Also lookup the schedule on Wera's web site and print it off before you leave for the track. This way you can look and see what practice session you'll in the AM.

Take your lower off on Friday night and put your tech form on your tank. Get as much done Friday night as you can to get ready for Saturday AM. If your the 1st or 2nd practice, Saturday AM is usually rushed because you have to get thru registration and tech, and that doesn't leave alot of time for your tires to get up to temps for the 1st session.

If your in the 1st practice and find yourself rushed to get thru tech and they have started making calls for the 1st practice, just roll right up to the front of the tech line and tell them your in the 1st group. They usually don't have a problem with teching you right there so you don't miss your practice. Just have a cew member follow you up to tech with your lower and slap it on then head to pit road.

Saturday AM is going to fly by!!!!!

Only thing I'll add from what other people have said..... just relax, and just focus on passing 1 bike at a time.

Good Luck, and don't forget..... HAVE FUN :D