Any R3 track tips/advice?

CBRtist

Got my spanking new R3 and am loving it. I plan to take both bikes to Lightning end of month, but primary will be R3.

Just in breaking it in, and as Tea told me, it's a different animal. Anybody who wants to throw up stuff for me to keep in mind, would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm still in N.

Dickie

Control Rider
If it's not in track trim, I'd start with the following...

Race pads, and lines
Rearsets (stock peg height is not great)
Front springs, and a rear spring since the stock stuff is pretty soft

The guys from http://www.yamahar3racing.com/ has some awesome blog posts on the bike and what mods he's done that really made a difference.

tdelegram

Control Rider
A couple of things I picked up racing the littles so far:
1. Don't check up, look past the reason for a clean line to keep you're momentum and drive
2. Your high speed tuck is impacting the bikes speeds at slower speeds and in a greater amount than on a 600
3. Corner speed, body position, Corner speed, body position, Corner speed, body position
4. Many times you can run less than the whole track, for instance the left onto the back straight at Pitt, no need to swoop all the way to the right cone, turn in mid-track at same speed and you have traveled less distance
5. Kids that weigh 130 pounds less than you accelerate much faster but seem more timid on the brakes,
6. Use the brakes, don't just roll off and coast into a corner, you can carry more corner speed and need less time to scrub off excess speed
6.1. Don't high side, sundays lesson learned
7. Have fun!

sSalopek

Control Rider
Director
I am going to go with our new theme here and just say "SEND IT" !!!

I will be there at Lightning with my R3 as well.

Also once my correct color lines come in I will be able to hook you up with front lines and have a set of the cheaper vesrah pads I didn't use

tdelegram

Control Rider
I forgot one, gearing. I added one tooth between races and dropped 9/10ths of a second, I thin 2 or 3 more would have got me into the 2:03's at Pitt.

CBRtist

Thanks all. and Thanks Tom. Not looking to mod yet. Just getting a feel for it right now. It's a whole new world.

@sSalopek Darn Dragon Lady... you all happy. Is this all that Em had to do? Haha. But seriously, if you ride and want to drop in and tow me a couple of laps to show me what I can do, that's be great (as long as I recognize you this time!!!)

Dickie

Control Rider
Cool. If you're not looking to mod just yet, just remember. They aren't super capable in stock form like a regular 600, 750 or 1000. If at any point you find yourself saying, "I can't seem to get it to do XYZ" it may not be your skills... it may be a shortcoming of the bike. Which is almost never the case with a larger modern sport bike.

The beauty of the little bikes is that you really learn the art of riding. They force you to focus on things like body position, braking and corner speed. As others have mentioned, the R3 shines in the corners and on the brakes, but that comes with time.

The best tips I can tell you after racing little bikes for years is...

1. Hold your line - You mentioned you're in Novice, and that's great. Just don't think that you owe it to anyone to "stay out of their way" because you're on a smaller bike. The best thing you can provide anyone else on the track with you is a consistent bike to pass in the long straights, and when riders spend more time concentrating on "holding others up" they end up running even slower, and more sporadic lines. Just enjoy the ride, and work on yourself. Everyone else will work around you as they need to, and you'll eventually be passing them in the braking zones. :)

2. Don't coast - Unlike your larger bikes, you HAVE to be either on the gas or on the brakes. You can't afford to coast on a little bike like you can on a larger bike... it will literally take you half a track in some cases to build up momentum again. It can also put you in an odd spot with all of the other bikes on the track moving a lot faster.

3. Watch your markers - Learn to read brake markers, and don't be shocked when you're going deeper into turns than ever before with the R3. The great thing about the smaller bikes is that you're likely going to be moving slower on the track than you would be with a larger bike,so you'll see more. Literally, you'll see asphalt patches, billboards, and all sorts of other markers you never saw on a larger bike simply because you're not going quite as fast. Use that to your advantage, and really get some solid brake, apex, and throttle markers dialed in.

4. Body position - Being smooth critical on the little bikes, simply due to the chassis design being less aggressive and rigid. When you move around too much on a small bike you really feel it in the chassis, so you're forced to be smooth and calculated. Something that really translates well to all the other bikes you'll ride.

5. Send it - :) You're likely going to be able to get on the gas a full 1-2 seconds sooner than you think you can with the R3. It's unlikely to spit you off like a big bike, or spin up a tire, so you can be a lot more Canadian with the throttle than you think you can. Give it a shot after you get comfortable, and you'll find that the power of the R3 is super forgiving, and you can get some nice drives out of the turns.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Dickie, I agree with all your point except #5, I know Wendy will be fine pinning it initially but I highsided my 390 this weekend so I think the caveat is as lean angle increases and your sliding the bike start to be judicious with the throttle. Your #4 is spot on and for old fat guys even more important, you can't tune out the chassis flex on these bikes and you learn a lot when really pushing them.

BadgerDog

Many thanks from me as well on all those who posted advice to CBRtist's request as I have a new to me R3 as well. Riding it on the street just long enough to get a feel for it, then I'll prep it and have it at NC Bike on 7/29 for the N2/Evolve track day. Can't wait to get on the track with a more appropriate ride. Might even try to do both days!

Dickie

Control Rider
Dickie, I agree with all your point except #5, I know Wendy will be fine pinning it initially but I highsided my 390 this weekend so I think the caveat is as lean angle increases and your sliding the bike start to be judicious with the throttle. Your #4 is spot on and for old fat guys even more important, you can't tune out the chassis flex on these bikes and you learn a lot when really pushing them.

No worries. I'm not saying that you can stick the throttle wide open as soon as you feel comfortable, but you can certainly start to apply the throttle much much sooner than you're able to on a larger sport bike.

The tactic is simple...

1. Find a solid throttle marker/indicator near or on the exit/apex of a turn
2. Make a conscious effort to start rolling on the throttle a second earlier than before
3. See how that helps laptime/drive/fun factor
4. Continue to repeat the one second earlier rule, and stop when you feel like your limit has been reached
5. Move to next turn

r6blondie

Staff member
Control Rider
Wendy,
You will get a better feel for what everyone is saying once you get on the track and other bikes are whipping by. Braking will be a fraction of what you use on the bike bikes. It will force you to keep the RPMs high. When you go into turn one and people are wheeling around you, and you are putzing along you will then realize this. Lol
Foot pegs would be my first and foremost suggestion.. get them up as high as possible.

And be ultra smooth, unlike my latest stunt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk