any tips getting bike on stands solo?

steve hale

Got front and rear stands for my new warmers, but almost fell over with bike putting these on by my self... anybody got any tricks or tips so bike will not fall over? :notsure:

Cole

Start with your rear first.
If you got the bike vertical, it will be it's lightest, so just maneuver the rear into place and pick it up.
After that, the rest is easy. Keep doing the rear over and over and it'll become second nature.
Ask anybody who's been in the pits more than a year and it's one of the easiest tasks they have now.
Now, getting deeper and on the throttle quicker are the tips I'm looking for.

dogger

Place the rear stand handle up near where you expect to park the bike. Get off bike and hold the tailsection balancing bike. Grab rear stand and position it so the grab hooks slide up under spools. Lift bike onto rear stand. The rest is easy. After a few times doing it you'll have no problem. Just have the rear stand within easy reach where you will park the bike. This is another one of those trackday riding procedures that get easier with practice.

Meat

And don't freak out like you have to do it in such a hurry. That was my problem in the beginning. Just take your time.

Now my wife is my pit crew :)

Snow

Also, just a tip for getting it off the rear stand once you have removed your warmers and you are headed out on to the track. Instead of holding the tail section, bending over to lift up the stand handle and all that balancing act just chalk the stand wheel with your foot and push the bike forward with your hands on the bike grips then just jump on. Also the stand will be in the same spot as it was before you left, real easy.

phoenix

Cole;44991 wrote: does your bike still have the kickstand?
I was going to ask the same question.
If it does, I put a small block of wood under my kickstand (from a 2 x 4) to get the bike to near vertical, and then I can start to position the rear stand before even touching the bike.

Cole

That question was directed at Mr. Hale.
To reference exactly PHOENIX's above statement

GoodKnight

I keep a jackstand handy, put that underneath my rearset to keep it propped up (basically, a makeshift kickstand).

Easier to grab a jackstand and move it under the rearset than do the dangling act with a bike/rearstand.