Anybody done BSR Accident Avoidance or Other?

jtsgsxr6

Like the title reads has anybody done the BSR Accident Avoidance training at Summit Point? Have you done other vehicle training in the Mid-A region beyond driver ED in high school? I was thinking to myself that it would be good for my wife to get some training, why should I be the only one with good riding/driving skills? I have to say the combination of track days and being a holigan as a kid and having been in almost every kind of sticky situation has helped me develop a much better feel for the limits of a vehicle and I stay calmer under pressure. My wife has not ever had the chance to really test the limits of any vehicle. Plus I figured it would be fun for the two of us to do.

Thoughts? Reviews?

rod0921

I took the Accident Avoidance with my girlfriend after she got into a bad accident and was scared to get back on the road. I highly recommend it to anyone. The classroom portion might be a little boring for people with on-track experience, but the actual driving portion (which is most of it) is actually a lot of fun and you learn a ton in one day. I believe it was 2 students to an instructor on the track. To sum it up: You get to blast around the Jefferson circuit with obstacles (cones) thrown in certain sections, you get sideways on the skidpad and learn to hold/control a slide, braking and swerving drills, practice recovering from running offroad, blast around a makeshift auto-x course.... and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Also, you use BSR's crown vics so youre not beating up your own car.

kawboy

It's not exactly mid-Atlantic, but my wife and I did 2 days of "Car Control" school at the BMW factory in Greeneville, SC a couple of years ago. As described above, you do time on the skid pad, autocross course, plus lots of lane change, braking, and cornering drills. We both had a blast and learned a lot. My wife beat my time on the autocross, so you might prepare for that possibility. It will take awhile to live that down... :) To top it off, you get to drive a long list of new BMWs. There was even a short off-road course that we drove in X5 SUVs. And you do not have to be a BMW owner to go to their school.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/PDS/default.aspx?from=/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/PDS.aspx&return=/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/PDS.aspx

rod0921;270078 wrote: I took the Accident Avoidance with my girlfriend after she got into a bad accident and was scared to get back on the road. I highly recommend it to anyone. The classroom portion might be a little boring for people with on-track experience, but the actual driving portion (which is most of it) is actually a lot of fun and you learn a ton in one day. I believe it was 2 students to an instructor on the track. To sum it up: You get to blast around the Jefferson circuit with obstacles (cones) thrown in certain sections, you get sideways on the skidpad and learn to hold/control a slide, braking and swerving drills, practice recovering from running offroad, blast around a makeshift auto-x course.... and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Also, you use BSR's crown vics so youre not beating up your own car.
I have been considering taking my son and wife if she wanted.I think my boss had his two girls do it and I think he was able to get an insurance deduction with it!! Any idea what the cost was for the class?

rod0921

eaglebike600;270317 wrote: I have been considering taking my son and wife if she wanted.I think my boss had his two girls do it and I think he was able to get an insurance deduction with it!! Any idea what the cost was for the class?

http://www.accidentavoidance.com/

Looks like its $345 now (I think it was a bit less when I took it). I forgot to mention, you get a certificate at the end that you can use to potentially get a discount on insurance (I didn't try it bc my rates are already super low, but now that I've been reminded I'm going to give Progressive a call)