Anybody into Scuba Diving?

ronhix

Just finished my Open Water Diver certs this past weekend.

Working on the Nitrox cert at the moment.

Thinking about the Advanced Open Water certs, then Wreck Diver.

Anybody else like to dive? :)

HokieRider

Im open water certified. I spend a week down in the keys diving a few years ago...it was a blast. we got to pet some sharks, see baracuda and all that fun stuff.

i havent been in a few years though

stkr

I'm currently certified as a PADI Master Scuba Diver, and I'm working towards getting my PADI Dive Master cert. :cool:

Ron - I would recommend doing the AOWD and Wreck. The AOWD course just gives you that added experience and knowledge that will help you. Doing the Rescue Diver course is another good one, but you need the AOWD first. Rescue Diver is geared towards providing aid to your fellow divers, and towards self rescue... good course.

Welcome to another very expensive hobby :cheers:
"Take only memories, and leave only bubbles."

ronhix

stkr;221050 wrote: I'm currently certified as a PADI Master Scuba Diver, and I'm working towards getting my PADI Dive Master cert. :cool:

Ron - I would recommend doing the AOWD and Wreck. The AOWD course just gives you that added experience and knowledge that will help you. Doing the Rescue Diver course is another good one, but you need the AOWD first. Rescue Diver is geared towards providing aid to your fellow divers, and towards self rescue... good course.

Welcome to another very expensive hobby :cheers:
"Take only memories, and leave only bubbles."
Thanks Jim, will do.

But I can assure you that diving is nowhere near as expense as a race season (especially if you try to do some of the AMA rounds)!

avizpls

#11-A
I used to be into scuba diving, but it was so expensive! So expensive in fact, that my wife and I ended up under-water.

....whatever.

stkr

ronhix;221055 wrote: Thanks Jim, will do.

But I can assure you that diving is nowhere near as expense as a race season (especially if you try to do some of the AMA rounds)!
True on the AMA costs. Hell, I'm still just trying to figure out the cheapest way to put bodywork back together. :dunno:

some guy #2

I have the basic open water cert. Got it through a college club for peanuts! My ears are really sensitive to pressure changes which made me quit pretty soon afterwards.

Steamer

I also am open water certified. But I went abalone diving off the coast of San Diego Ca. and ruptured an ear drum. Navy put a stop to that hobby. No just can't afford the trips to warm water and Pa lakes are not looking to good right now. Years ago I near a person that would go diving in high mountain lake for gold. Might help pay for the gear that way.

ronhix

Steamer;221067 wrote: Years ago I near a person that would go diving in high mountain lake for gold. Might help pay for the gear that way.
That sounds pretty cool. Maybe I could find a big ol' gold nugget that I could trade Brewbaker for a bunch of that "black gold" he's got. :idea:

beac83

I was PADI certified in college (1979). Had a full set of gear, but sold it when I was broke in 1983. Haven't been in the water due to bad sinuses since a few years after that. I did enjoy it, though.

Congrats on your certification - and yes, it's another expensive sport, with lots of add-ons and accessories.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Open water certified (down to 60 ft, whatever that cert is). Only dive when I get down to the caribbean so not too often. It is fun but not as fun as the track.

RADAR Magnet

I have a bunch of certifications and usually do a couple of trips a year, typically one big and one small. Diving was my original expensive hobby and last year I added track days.

Congrats on the certs. One thing to keep in mind is that they're kind of analogous to a race license - most anyone can take the class and pass the test but that won't make them a racer (yours truly being a prime example). Be sure to get plenty of diving under your belt as you progress. Oh yeah, also like riding, buy the best gear you can afford.

Lastly, welcome to the club!

derekcb

Congrats on the diving cert. I stopped diving just before my daughter was born 11 years ago. But was working on my PADI Dive Master cert at the time. My mother-in-law owned a shop so it was relatively convenient to get the class time. As was mentioned, Rescue Diver is a great class after you complete AOWD - gives you that much more confidence dealing with your own as well as other's situations. Nitrox is a great class - PADI wasn't teaching that back then. I ended up getting my enriched air and deep air certs through TDI. Another great certifying org when 130' just isn't deep enough. Although it looks like PADI is offering a lot of that technical training now.

Currently using my tanks and regulator to adjust tire pressure at the track....slowly adding the hobbies back in as the wife allows.

Enjoy Ron!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I'm too skeeeerd

So in 2007 we went to Hawaii....

Decided that since I was in the area I wanted to see what all the rage was about with snorkeling.

LOVED IT!!!!

Went a couple of times in Puerto Rico, too.

LOVED IT!!!!

As long as the water stays 8 feet deep or less...and I don't look out into the ocean I'm fine.
Deeper than that...or if I look out...I'm not so good.

I watched the Jaws movies too much as a kid....so I don't think snorkeling and diving would work out so well for me. It sounds like a GREAT time and a bunch of fun, until I jumped in the water with my tank on and could not see the bottom.

matt2212

PADI open water diver and was working on advanced years ago... I live along the "graveyard of the Atlantic" so I still Squeeze a few shore dives in every year to some shallow wrecks that I can swim to. I get into it than over it, cool to have on vacation in Mexico though.

It is not something that I can do and than not do for years and feel comfortable with. it take practice to feel good with your equipment
especially after a friend of mine had a malfunction in 90+ feet of h2o, as he passed out he bolted to the surface, BCD kept pulling him up quickly b/c he was not able to release air as he floated up, he spent 2 weeks in and out of decompression chambers and Mexican hospitals untill he was well enough to fly home. thank god he had DAN insurance they covered everything

ronhix

matt2212;221127 wrote: PADI open water diver and was working on advanced years ago... I live along the "graveyard of the Atlantic" so I still Squeeze a few shore dives in every year to some shallow wrecks that I can swim to. I get into it than over it, cool to have on vacation in Mexico though.

It is not something that I can do and than not do for years and feel comfortable with. it take practice to feel good with your equipment
especially after a friend of mine had a malfunction in 90+ feet of h2o, as he passed out he bolted to the surface, BCD kept pulling him up quickly b/c he was not able to release air as he floated up, he spent 2 weeks in and out of decompression chambers and Mexican hospitals untill he was well enough to fly home. thank god he had DAN insurance they covered everything
Good point on the DAN insurance.

I have an issue trusting rental equipment with my life, so I popped for some of my own gear that I can maintain and gain a higher level of comfort. To me, it is kinda like going to the track and renting a different bike every time. Makes no sense.

worldrider929

Yes, I've gone the scuba diving route too . . . I didn't realize there were so many divers amongst us. (Must be in the DNA) What a great club!

I'll never forget the first time that I got in the water with gear and the marine life . . . what an experience coming from someone who only experienced life under the water from the perspective of the boat and the shore and at the other end of a fishing line.

To interact with everything rather than watch it dart away or struggle at the end of my line is priceless.

If you haven't done it and if you can physically handle it, you have got to try scuba diving.