Anybody pull a 27' trailer in the snow?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Open? Closed? How much weight? What are you towing it with?

Had a trailer kick out sideways a little bit from having the brake controller set to normal dry road conditions. Brakes were too strong, tires locked, and of course locked tires don't have any holding grip whatsoever. Was kind of interesting to say the least. LOL

Look at it this way... truckers tow stuff all the time regardless of weather. Drive accordingly, and if you have any doubts whatsoever, pull off and call it a night. Not worth it.

noobinacan

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

It looks grim...
snow/Ice throughout, NC, SC and Northern GA. and SC and GA don't have anything to put down on the roads.
lots of winter storm / ICE warnings out.

and traffic on google maps is already in the yellow.

not a good idea.
ofcourse can be done, but you're risking a lot,...

anim_serc.gif

"A historic Southeast U.S. winter storm is pounding Georgia and South Carolina with heavy snow and thick coatings of freezing rain. Car crashes on icy roads from the storm have already killed six people--four in Texas, and two in Mississippi--and travel will be extremely dangerous over much of the South on Wednesday. As of 9 am EST on Wednesday, freezing rain amounts as high as 1/2" had already been observed in Central South Carolina near Columbia. Freezing rain rates as high as 0.1" per hour are expected along a swath from Atlanta, Georgia to the northeast coast of South Carolina. Over 1" of ice may accumulate from freezing rain in areas near Augusta, Georgia. Strong winds will combine with the freezing rain to blow down trees and power lines, and the Sperry-Piltz Ice Accumulation Index rates the potential impacts from areas which receive at least 3/4" of ice accompanied by winds in excess of 15 mph at a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. At this level, expect "prolonged and widespread utility interruptions with extensive damage to main distribution feeder lines and some high voltage transmission lines/structures. Outages lasting 5 - 10 days." As of 9:45 am EST, 78,000 customers in Georgia had lost power, and power outages were increasing at a rate of 30,000 customers per hour. About 30,000 customers had lost power in South Carolina."

andykurz

I've pulled a car on a tandem axle open trailer with a 2wd truck in a complete whiteout - though, snow, not ice. Just be prepared for incredibly low speeds and a white knuckle experience. Syracuse to Southern PA. Took about nine hours.

Snow is way easier than ice, the south has ice right now. 21 year old Andy says have at it! 30 year old Andy says don't do it, it's not worth it. Even if you drive perfectly, you never know when someone is going to fly across from the opposite direction.

Remember, you are driving through the south in a winter storm. People there are less equipped to drive in the snow. It would be a different story if you were driving through Vermont - fine. North Carolina? No thanks.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
andykurz;300367 wrote:
Remember, you are driving through the south in a winter storm. People there are less equipped to drive in the snow. It would be a different story if you were driving through Vermont - fine. North Carolina? No thanks.
Very good point to take into consideration...

If you're headed to Jennings, remember it's a 3 day event. You don't "HAVE" to be there Friday morning. I am in TN and waiting for weather to clear up a bit before I take off. I couldn't help but laugh at the 21 yr old Andy vs the 30yr old Andy line. Well, the 55 yr old Mike is going he's just exercising patience and waiting for the right time. Remember the joke about the young bull and the old bull? Hope to see you there. Be safe.

bmrboy

Take the WARNING as words of advise !!!!!!!
I've drove in the worst of conditions , my times ... lived in the Northeast most of my life , in Vermont 23 yrs.

The Southeast has little to NO !!!!!! SNOW REMOVEALE EQUIPMENT !!!!!!!
If your going to Jennings GP and it's a 10+ hr. drive ........... It may turn into 20 hrs. if you make it at all !!!!!!!!

This storm is BIG !!!!! EPIC SIZE !!!!

Very high risk trip !!!! If you going ... BE PREPAIRDED .... FOR ANYTHING !!!!!

Be Safe , Drive Carefully , take your time ...... :agree:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Getting there one way or another. Definitely going to be a shittydrive. No way around that which sucks but makes being there that much better I hope.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Everyone has to take account of what chances they are willing to take.

Your driving into an Ice Storm in an area where 2 weeks ago there was less than 30% of the ice they are getting today and people abandoned there cars on the highway and slept at 7/11's hahaha The South

Myers

Control Rider
folks...research the weather pattern and drive west around it... the difference in fuel cost and time will work out when your not delayed. adapt to the conditions and git er done!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
The tongue weight of your trailer is going to help with your truck's rear wheel traction.

Try to avoid mountain Roads/climbs.

Just be patient and take your time Brian.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Man! Brian puss'd out on us! Looks like we are going to wait it out a bit. Probably going to miss Friday but will be ready for Saturday.

This weather is probably all my fault. I was talking to God the other day and asked for patience and understanding in dealing with situations that usually spin me out. Here is my answer.:rolleyes: With that said, I probably won't leave Nashville until Friday morning. Better to wait it out at home in my recliner than sitting on I-75 in my truck is my thinking. No matter how "good" of a driver I think I am, I'm not going to be the only guy trying to get somewhere in that mess. It's just a fact that folks in the south have no experience with this kind of weather. We don't want any!!! That's why we live here. All you folks be safe. I'm looking forward to riding with you.

noobinacan

Slow Steve;300393 wrote: Man! Brian puss'd out on us! Looks like we are going to wait it out a bit. Probably going to miss Friday but will be ready for Saturday.
smart thing to do by Brian ;)
I rode the knobbie bike over to the buddy's place. it was snow earlier and grip was fine.
on the road, its packed and its all ice now. and ice pellets are coming down...there's no grip. helmet had a sheet of ice on it in the 5 mins it took me to get back to my place.

Here's Dennis the minni's hate mail from few mins ago
"Left work at 2:00 pm...........just got home. People are idiots, non driving fools!!!!!"

let's see...lose $200 or wreck your trailer, truck and bikes ??

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Slow Steve;300393 wrote: Man! Brian puss'd out on us! Looks like we are going to wait it out a bit. Probably going to miss Friday but will be ready for Saturday.
Smart man, is Bo going? Oh that's right, he doesn't have a bike…:doh::D