Anybody Regret Leaving the street?

GriffinD

I was all about street riding for a long time (1993-2012). I liked my 6am morning rides on the weekends when not many other people were on the roads. It was peaceful. With 2 kids now, my time is limited so I wanted any "free" time to be at the track. I ended up selling my street 750 to a local kid so he can have fun with it rather than it sitting in the back of my garage. I keep the track 750 down @ Markbilt & I have no want whatsoever to be back out on the streets, especially near the city on Long Island.

My son @ 7 is really into dirtbiking now so I guess I've been getting my 2 wheel fix (when not at the track) with him & thats all I need. Once the yoots get a little older, I can see myself on a motard or sport tourer for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBpgKmnKe2E :) @ 2:35

:tothetrack:

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I took up a different type of street riding. No more racing around back country roads. Picked up a dual sport and heading out to CO/UT to ride the backcountry

erichmond

Although track days have really become my favorite type of riding, I still do enjoy street riding. I have no desire to ride modern sportbikes on the street; they're really out of their element on the roads with so little of their capabilities actually being safely and legally usable (not to mention the uncomfortable riding position). I've been riding the street on and off since 1979, starting with a '75 RD250 then buying a '79 KE100 DP bike to teach my brother how to ride. Bought a brand new RZ350 while I was in college then sold it a few years later to buy my fiancée an engagement ring. (Marrying her turned out to be greatest thing I've ever done - not only is she the love of my life, she is incredibly supportive of my 2-wheel habits both powered and pedaled. She goes to every track day she can with me, buys me gear for gifts, is a great passenger on street rides, and we even rode some mx and trails together for a while on a pair of TTR125's.) Also went through a Harley phase from 2001 up until I started to ride track days, then sold it because I realized I was having difficulty adapting back Harley brakes on the street after riding my ZX6R on the track.

These days I enjoy riding sporty standards on the road, and have recently been bitten by the vintage bike bug courtesy of one of my wife's friends who restores and sells vintage Japanese rides. I've really gotten into the Japanese sport bikes of the '80's, back before they were so track-oriented. And I've always wanted a Ducati Monster so when the opportunity to buy completely original early example for a great price came up I couldn't resist.

I don't necessarily feel any safer on the track than I do on the street - there is risk in both but the risks are different. On the road I ride with the belief that I am invisible, and that every driver is out to kill me. I don't ride aggressively on the road in terms of speeds or corner-carving, so the biggest risks I face are those presented by inattentive and/or incompetent car/SUV/truck drivers. As an avid road cyclist, I feel much more vulnerable on my bike than on my motorcycles. While the track is very controlled environment, and I am a cautious learner (some would say slow to progress) and rider, I have a great fear of being taken out by another rider as it seems some folks believe the rules don't apply to them and/or haven't quite figured out that motorcycles can seriously injure or kill someone. Just as I was starting to get over this I saw one of NESBA's most consistent, proficient and respected riders taken out through no fault of her own. (I get to thinking, if it can happen to her, it can happen to anyone myself included.)

Wow, this must be the longest forum post I've ever written! Sorry, just rambling, still enjoying the post-track day high from a great weekend at my two favorite tracks.

In closing, I'd like to thank NESBA's management for running a safety-focused organization in a fun and educational manner; all of the CR's who have helped me become a better rider; and all of those I've ridden with in both the B and the I groups who ride with safety in mind. It's always a pleasure being passed by and/or chasing you around the tracks!

summerscam

I haven't touched the road ever since I started going to the track, I have my little zuma for around town and that's it.

I moved from CA to AL and quit the street almost immediately. No regrets.
it's simply not worth the risk, expense or PITA of wearing ATGATT, which I always did.
certainly track riding is dangerous, but it's the most well managed danger one can have on 2 wheels.

denbsteph

I still ride the street, I did my first track days on my 06 fizzer. I believe riding on the track has giving me a more in depth sense of awareness on the street. You really see how stupid cagers can be, I see it what they are doing way before they do it. I will keep riding as long as I can get on my bike and crank her up.

sti2.5ldohc

Thank you all for the emense amount of information everyone has supplied. I'm thinking I'm gonna wait another month or so and if I still feel I wanna leave the street ima put the reppie up for sale.

Again all the information was greatly appreciated

-Joshua

Never looked back. Living out side of Philadelphia, it was the best decision after observing all the idiots that drive and text at the same time.

Southerly

I ride on the street almost every day, as my motorcycle is my primary transportation. The main time I use my wife's SUV is going to the hardware store or pulling the bike to the track. It has probably been over a year since I last took it out for a ride on the street just for fun, but I do enjoy the rides to work and home again.

I ride the same bike on the street as on the track, but ride in a completely different manner. One the street I keep to legal speeds, and out of the power, rarely letting it get above 6000 rpm. I watch every other vehicle, and try to figure out how they are going to try to kill me. I do still enjoy it, and when the traffic is heavier I take the long way home on the roads less travelled.

Luckily I don't have to choose between the two, so I get to enjoy the ride most days of the year, and have an adrenaline rush a few times a year.

Looks like it is about time to suit up and head home.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
I tend to commute 2 times a week on my street bike just to save fuel costs since my daily driver is a gas hog. As a MSF Instructor and pres of our command club, I still need to ride on the street. I find it is somewhat relaxing sometimes (except when on I-95)...knowing I can get my speed fix and work on whatever I want on the track allows for greater flexibility.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Got a low mileage Honda NT650 collecting dust if anyones interested. Got the itch to have a street bike but then never actually ride it. No more street for me unless I give up the track.

bmrboy

Nope ..... never left the street ............ I love to ride ...... :D As far as I'm concerned ..... I live in some
of the best riding in the country .... Blue Ridge Parkway is just outside my door ..... :popcorn:

Nothing better than a leisurely ride down a country road .... just have to stop and smell the roses sometimes.

jsin38

I am almost there. My street bike is not being used at all this Summer. I live in a high traffic area so it takes an hour to get out to the good roads. Then I have to fight my way back home. Not much fun anymore.

Factoring in the maintenance and insurance costs, it would require about 100 days of riding to offset the fuel costs of just driving the 13 mpg truck to work.

mike574

I gave up the street for about 4 years and never had a problem with the decision, then about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a bike to comute to work on to save on gas . So now I comute to work 8 months out of the year on the bike. But in the 5 or 6 years I have had the bike I only go on street rides maybe 3 times a year. If it was not for the ease of comute I would not miss street riding at all. But that said it is much more fun to take the bike to work then the train.

TonyR

I quit riding on the street. Then finances made track time all but impossible. So, I started street riding again. But riding fast on the street is long over for me. I have more fun riding my SR50 than I do riding my Speed Triple. But the SR won't do the highway portion of my commute. I have found that I still enjoy street riding, but in a much different way than I used to.

I do miss my dual sport though.

nroussin

I've yet to completely give up street riding, however, my mentality on it has changed considerably. My wife and I still enjoy going on the occasional weekend ride on either the ZX10 or Harley, but I no longer find myself going out with the intention of ridding aggressively. I'm spending a significant amount of my riding time now on the track, which is more than fine with me (not my wallet)... Too many close calls with cages, wild life, and my own arrogance on the street.

On another note, I make it a point to strike up conversations with those I notice zippin' around in board shorts and flip-flops, try to save them some time, money, and scars by sharing personal experience(s) and pointing them towards the race track.