anyone ADD brakes to single axle trailer?

trekuhl

Control Rider
got a 6x15 vnose haulmark single torsion axle. pulling with a late model tacoma aint too bad but adding brakes would make a ton easier.

anyone ever accomplish such a feat and if so what sort of cost/time was involved?

spanks,

andykurz

I am considering this as well. I have also done a little research. etrailer.com is a good source for both parts and know how. A few suggestions / things you will need:

1. Brake controller - this goes in the cab of your truck, and sends a brake signal to the trailer's electric brakes.
2. Wiring - most basic, no-brake trailers seem to use a "flat four" wiring connector. You need one that has at least five connectors, there are a few styles. The additional connector is for your brake signal. Toyota may have much of this wiring in place for you, so you just add the brake controller in the cab and the connector in the back. Otherwise, you need to add a brake signal wire from the controller to the rear bumper.
3. Brakes on trailer. Check that you have a mounting plate for brakes, it usually has four holes. I think the easiest setup to install seems to be an electric drum brake, vs a disc setup. etrailer sells these.

I think the drum / shoe assembly is about $250, I could be wrong.

It is very do able, but will cost a few hundo bucks.

trekuhl

Control Rider
yea i been eyeballing etrailer.

my taco came with towing package so already setup. would need brake controller. and trailer is flat4 but i was looking to swap that for full 9 pin and add a deep cycle batt for running lights inside trailer temporarily for packing/loading, etc.

andykurz

That's a great idea. A simpler idea for temporary lighting is just to use LED lights in the trailer and just use the truck's battery. I had the same idea about the battery but just decided to use the existing "dome" lights in my trailer of the trucks battery.

I have a a trickle charge in my trailer for the bike, and when I get to the track and am on generator / shore power, I just trickle charge the truck.

I think you could run domes or LED off of your car battery for several hours without impacting your battery. LEDs especially.

Twiztedjester55

trekuhl;269294 wrote: yea i been eyeballing etrailer.

my taco came with towing package so already setup. would need brake controller. and trailer is flat4 but i was looking to swap that for full 9 pin and add a deep cycle batt for running lights inside trailer temporarily for packing/loading, etc.
Every trailer I had with electric brakes needed a battery. It hooks up to the brakes and a cable attaches to your hitch so that in case your trailer separates from your vehicle it automatically engages the trailer brakes.

cbr_600rr_freak

Northern Tool and Equipment have a kit. It is the entire electric brake kit, hubs, bearings and ore greased for the left and right side. Also comes with all the wires included. The kit is fairly priced. Also a break away kit is $47 and it comes with a battery. Hope this helps. I installed the 10" kit on my toy hauler and they work great!!!!

10" kit 3500lbs axels- https://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=21488&categoryId=&path=&productName=false

7" kit-

https://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=21487&categoryId=1880631&path=Home%7CShop+By+Category%7CTrailers+%2B+Trailer+Parts%7CTrailer+Brakes%7CTow+Zone+Electric+Drum+Brake+Kit+-+Pair%2C+7in.%2C+Model%23+56124&productName=false