Anyone running power cup C

Godfather

Didn't work for me...

jsnow,

Last year I bought a set while at a TPM event and I had very high hope going to the power cups...... I was disappointed in the end. The rear was all over the place and I had no confidence in the tires. I ran the correct pressures and everything but nothing helped. I almost high sided twice at NC BIKE in turn 8 at 125 mph! I went back to the Q2 and was happy. This year I have switched to the NTEC DUNLOPS and I love them.

This doesn't mean that the Michelin's will not work for you, this is just my assessment of the tire.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
Godfather, what power cup did you run, what size, and what pressures?

Jsnow, I have run both the power cups and USA made Dunlops. Both are very capable tires. I ran the power cups for awhile and they have plenty of grip even when no sipes are showing. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Godfather

mmmfishrighton;278590 wrote: Godfather, what power cup did you run, what size, and what pressures?

Jsnow, I have run both the power cups and USA made Dunlops. Both are very capable tires. I ran the power cups for awhile and they have plenty of grip even when no sipes are showing. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
MMM,

I ran the set that is equal to the D-211's, 190/60 and 120/70. Pressures were R 22/23 and the F 30. I think I had the medium compound tire.

As I said, this tire didn't work for me which suprised me because for the 23 years that I rode in europe I always like the Michelin's even on my Harley. Maybe I had a BAD rear from a BAD batch? No issues with the front tire though.

xrated

I've run the Cups since they came out a year and a half ago. I run the "V" front and mostly the "B" compound on the rear, but in the heat of the summer in the south, a "C" compound will last a bit longer. Absolutely the most confidence inspiring tire I've ever been on.
Rear: 21psi cold
Front: 30psi cold

devildogae

Godfather;278538 wrote: jsnow,

Last year I bought a set while at a TPM event and I had very high hope going to the power cups...... I was disappointed in the end. The rear was all over the place and I had no confidence in the tires. I ran the correct pressures and everything but nothing helped. I almost high sided twice at NC BIKE in turn 8 at 125 mph! I went back to the Q2 and was happy. This year I have switched to the NTEC DUNLOPS and I love them.

This doesn't mean that the Michelin's will not work for you, this is just my assessment of the tire.
Are the NTEC's slicks meaning you can't run them in the rain!

jsnow74361

thanks for the info I been running the vb front and B rear only getting 2 day with nesba on it temps are high now like 90+ and I was thinking the C would work better for the hot days but B i going to race on wera what u think I love the cups and have trust with them

xrated

The "C" compound will definitely be better when the temps are hotter....they will last a little longer. Just remember though, if you run the "C"s during cooler temperatures, you will need to get a couple of laps on them to get them up to operating temps or come out on the track as soon as you take off the warmers. What size bike are you riding? 2 days on a rear doesn't sound like much to me. These tires will not start going off until you get almost to the point that you have threads showing. YMMV of course. Also remember, set your rear tire pressure to 21 to 22 cold and if there is quite a lot of heating during the day, check them right after lunch break before you go out and adjust the pressure back down to the 21 to 22 range..........just make sure that the tire has cooled off and is approx. ambient air temperature.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
Do what xrated said. 21 cold and 30 cold then take them off the warmers at lunch and adjust accordingly. 2 days out of a rear does not sound like much. They will grip all the way down to the cords.

more seat time

thanks for the wear pic

Thanks for the wear pic and info I had been led to believe that these may not be ok to run w/ wear mark on the far side only 3/4 way gone:doh: and I felt like there was definitely still plenty of life/grip :dunno:so for piece of mind I swapped them out and saved them for the canopy of course:D An extra day or two on a tire is cash for 2 days at the track. As far as the performance goes I love them coming off of Q's as well.That being said I'm running pretty good in :i: group and tires are becoming an issue so I'm thinking of going back to Dunlop and trying the 211 because of affordability.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
Both the Dunlops and Michelins are good tires. Just remember as the tire wears the grip level will drop and you will need to pick the bike up more as you are applying throttle.

plwtwo

I like the Power Cups great tires.. I usually run Vb and B rears.. But I agree the C would be ok in the July/Aug heat. They are a lot better then Q2's, I'd say GODFATHER you were running to much psi in the rear.. Newer Track tires wether Dunlop, Michelin or Pirelli are all sensitive to psi!! Ten years ago we had Race tires and street tires, you used street if u were slow and race tires if u were fast, and those tires weren't super sensitive to psi, the Newer generation "track" tires are sticker and last longer but are super sensitive to psi. I'm running Pirelli SC slicks on a Duc1198 and at Road Atlanta last year during a 3 day event it was hot! High 90's and ground/track was stupid hot. The Pirelli's were not very confidence inspiring, Chris Jensen/MPH who's been in the AMA paddock for years, told me to try 23 psi- Holy moly. perfecto! So watch those Psi's!

jsnow74361

tire

thanks for all the info running a 600 man i can run the tire way more than i thought i was going by the last bar on the tire then ttaking it off