APE Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

JGardy_781

Anyone have instructions as to how to set an APE manual cam chain adjuster? Can't find consistent advice online (surprise, surprise). I've got an e-mail into APE's tech people, but am curious if anyone here has a manual themselves, or an authoritative answer. If the model it's attached to matters, it's on my '02 GSXR-750.

Thanks in advance...

/j

gkotlin

I don't know that there is a real method to it. It's more of a feel / perception thing.

It's not something you install and torque to a certain amount and you're done.

Someone with more experience have any tips?

erick1670

gkotlin;166312 wrote: I don't know that there is a real method to it. It's more of a feel / perception thing. It's not something you install and torque to a certain amount and you're done.

Someone with more experience have any tips?
:agree:
it`s all about feel, but is very eazy to do.

onence you feel the chain you have to turn it just a few more times but it can not be to tight either.

when on the bike turn the screw hand tight then turn the bike on loosen the screw off a bit untill you hear the chain flap around then hand tight the screw to the ruber gasket, then with a 12 or 13mm :notsure: sucket turn it 1/2 to 1 turn... hope that helps

here is a link in how to do it on a 600RR
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=135386

JGardy_781

APE's tech staff came back with this:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3467

The tech indicated that the specified procedure list in the post is for the prior generation SRAD, but that the actual adjustment methodology is the spot-on. I'll be pulling the valve cover to use their methodology until I can develop what that "feel" is that you guys mentioned...

Thanks for the replies...
/j

JGardy_781

I used the method pointed out by the APE tech, and came out with, as far as I can tell, far less than satisfactory results - after tearing apart the junk on top of the motor and exposing the valvetrain, I couldn't get a repeatable result out of the methodology. I ended up using the second method outlined in the aforementioned book (which I happen to own).

Far as I can tell, it seemed to work. We'll see, I guess...

Thanks to those that responded.

/j