April 29, NJMP

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great day at NJMP this past Monday. The temps hitting 88° already seemed a bit premature, but I guess it was better than 94° last July!

All the coaches were great, and a huge thanks to Judy for following/leading me on a couple laps - and the talk afterwards in the paddock. Please keep it up folks. The value you add to these track days is immeasurable.

It was my first track day this season, and I assume it may have been the same for others. Considering that and the size of the novice group (60 riders?), I felt it was a relatively chill day on the crash front. At least from what I saw. Hopefully everyone made it home happy and safe.

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did, and have been able to rehydrate (I’m still working on it!). My legs are still sore!

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great day at NJMP this past Monday. The temps hitting 88° already seemed a bit premature, but I guess it was better than 94° last July!

All the coaches were great, and a huge thanks to Judy for following/leading me on a couple laps - and the talk afterwards in the paddock. Please keep it up folks. The value you add to these track days is immeasurable.

It was my first track day this season, and I assume it may have been the same for others. Considering that and the size of the novice group (60 riders?), I felt it was a relatively chill day on the crash front. At least from what I saw. Hopefully everyone made it home happy and safe.

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did, and have been able to rehydrate (I’m still working on it!). My legs are still sore!
Outstanding! It’s good your legs are sore, means you were using them to move around on the bike. N2 has a bunch of great coaches!

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If this had been a 2 day event, I’m not sure I would have been able to ride the 2nd day. I’ve been a bit sore following track days before - but good grief! This was a whole different story!

If you look around, you'll see quite a few people stretching at the rider's meeting, and this is why. @adotjdot has a pretty good stretching routine he'd probably share....looks like it might be based on the ChampBody program available from YCRS.

It's also important to stay well ahead of hydration, beginning a few days prior to showing up. A couple of Liquid IVs or comparable will go along way towards making sure you don't wipe yourself out...I remember one weekend last year @ NC bike that was pushing triple digits and I ended up with a 3 day hydration hangover from pounding so much straight water. I actually just did 2 days @ NCbike for ChampRace, and I feel like I finally nailed the hydration at 2 gallons each day, of which 72 ounces had Liquid IV mixed in and 40 ounces were powerade.

Jacob

‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Seems we skipped right past spring and straight into summer this year. I usually bring a couple jugs of pedialyte to help with hydration, along with water, but when it's hot it's HOT.

How was the new pavement at NJMP?

Ive definitely made an effort to keep nourished, hydrated and stretched for the track days I’ve done. But I welcome any and all advice - because this last one kicked my ass. I’m sure being the first day out this year contributed - but clearly there’s room for improvement in my routine.

I’m doing Liquid IV, but nowhere near the volume you are. So a ton of straight water throughout the day.

Even with the aches and pains, the day was still awesome. Just need a way to recover quicker. Last year I did a few 2-day events, and while a bit sore, handled the 2nd day fine. I guess I let myself go a little more than I thought over the winter (despite losing a bit of weight!).

@Jacob The new repaved track surface was great. There were a couple things that I thought were different layout-wise, but I could have been imagining it. Turn 1 & 12 seemed to have a bit more sweep/open radius??? Could have been that the seemingly 12” tall curb at T1 was gone that made it feel that way?

The funny thing was that although I’ve only ridden there 3-4 days, obviously some features of the track had been cemented in my brain. I swore on the first lap that there was still a bump coming out of the chicane (T3c). But on subsequent laps I never felt it. Also, coming into T9 (the f*#king devils elbow!) there is no longer that patch that you can use to aim for. I’ve never done that damn turn correctly (on purpose) and now all hope is gone :)

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ive definitely made an effort to keep nourished, hydrated and stretched for the track days I’ve done. But I welcome any and all advice - because this last one kicked my ass. I’m sure being the first day out this year contributed - but clearly there’s room for improvement in my routine.

I’m doing Liquid IV, but nowhere near the volume you are. So a ton of straight water throughout the day.

To the volume, I am a big dude and YCRS is very physically intense, compared to a normal TD. You may not need as much as me. I start hitting at least a gallon a day 3 days in advance of the TD. Once you fall behind, you can't make it back. The issue I had with high volumes of straight water is that I feel like I was wiping out my body chemistry...I'd get home and have what felt like a hangover for two or three days, despite not having had alcohol. So the big changes I made are...double body weight in ounces 3 days prior (this is a standard water intake goal formula,) then I try to get 36 ounces with liquid IV in me in the morning after a couple cups of coffee and before I even get on the track. I also take a multi. I'm hydrating with water between every session, mixing in 2 standard size powerades throughout the day. At lunch, I'm having another 36 ounces of liquid IV. I quit drinking altogether at the beginning of the season to focus on my riding, so just normal water at night after the TD, especially if I'm riding the next day. Then the day following the track day, I get another 36 ounces with Liquid IV the morning after, again after coffee. That last one, which I am literally drinking right now after 2 days of ChampRace, REALLY helps me to bounce back and feel normal again. Hope that helps.

Nutritionally, I'm usually a piece of quiche, a banana, and some OJ in the morning, semi-hearty salad for lunch, then big dinner on the griddle at night. If you follow the wafting smell of peppers and onions at night, that's normally us.

Hope that helps.

This is great. Thanks so much. I definitely didn’t follow my TD with more liquid IV. Not enough of anything really, which surely lead to a prolonged recovery.

I also need to start getting more into my system before the TD. I did a bit of that last weekend, but not enough obviously. I lost roughly 4lbs on Monday!

Appreciate all the tips and tricks.

Jacob

‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Even with the aches and pains, the day was still awesome. Just need a way to recover quicker. Last year I did a few 2-day events, and while a bit sore, handled the 2nd day fine. I guess I let myself go a little more than I thought over the winter (despite losing a bit of weight!).

@Jacob The new repaved track surface was great. There were a couple things that I thought were different layout-wise, but I could have been imagining it. Turn 1 & 12 seemed to have a bit more sweep/open radius??? Could have been that the seemingly 12” tall curb at T1 was gone that made it feel that way?

The funny thing was that although I’ve only ridden there 3-4 days, obviously some features of the track had been cemented in my brain. I swore on the first lap that there was still a bump coming out of the chicane (T3c). But on subsequent laps I never felt it. Also, coming into T9 (the f*#king devils elbow!) there is no longer that patch that you can use to aim for. I’ve never done that damn turn correctly (on purpose) and now all hope is gone :)
Some of the turns did get a bit more room, 1 did for sure, but I forget the specifics. I was following the progress on socials where it was mentioned. It'll be weird without that bump I'm so used to, and that patch, but I'm really glad they're gone. Nice though, looking forward to being there a few times this year