arai vs. agv helmets

gsxr11

just taking a poll which is better???? i have a arai but thinking about getting a agv or just stay with arai... rossi wears one but he also gets paid. :popcorn:

Mikey75702

I say arai just because of the support they provide. I haven't heard of agv making it out to a race around here. But aria shows up, and they are also partners with nesba. But i have never tried on an agv, so I can't speak on the wearing of one.

erick1670

I have Shoei, Arai, HJC & AGV, the best comfy for my head are the Arai and HJC, very happy with them

Go with what's best fits you.

TDS

gsxr11;157198 wrote: just taking a poll which is better???? i have a arai but thinking about getting a agv or just stay with arai... rossi wears one but he also gets paid. :popcorn:

This is a quote from the AGV site regarding fitment:

"Note different helmets have different fits just because you were a large in one helmet brand doesn’t mean you are a large in every helmet. Since the helmet may not always exactly meet your head size, and your head measurement may fall between two sizes, first try on the smaller size, it is better to have a more snug fit than a loose fit. Most of our full face helmets offer adjustable cheek pads and this will usually allow for a more custom fit if necessary."

AGV has 3 different shell sizes in their race helmet but only one shell shape.

Quote from Arai's website regarding fitment:

"Attention must be paid to the fit of the model's shape around the crown of your head - and not with facial fit. (The part that is contacted by a baseball cap's band, for example, is the crown) Cheek pads in all Arai helmets can be replaced with a size that better suits your facial structure, so the possible need for different cheek pads should only be addressed after the crown is properly sized. All too often, tight OEM cheek pads will result in purchasing a helmet one or even two sizes too big - in effect sizing the face and not the head! The end result will be a loose and noisy helmet,
as described above. (Riders with a strong jaw or heavy cheeks should first remove the cheek pads completely in order to not be distracted in determining crown fit.)"

Arai has 3 different shell SHAPES not just shell sizes. Arai has the Long Oval, Intermediate Oval and Round Oval.

IMO, because they custom fit your head, Arai is the only way to go.

1up5down

Control Rider
Get the fitment right!

TDS;157214 wrote:

Arai has 3 different shell SHAPES not just shell sizes. Arai has the Long Oval, Intermediate Oval and Round Oval.

IMO, because they custom fit your head, Arai is the only way to go.

I agree 150%, however most people don't realize this and simply purchase based upon pretty graphics. For example, how many people try on the different Arai "MODELS" for true fitment. Not sizes, but the different "MODELS"?

Here is a listing of the different models with the interior shape denoted.

Profile Model = Long oval interior shape. This helmet is designed for the rider whose head has a more front-to-back dimension that is considerably longer than the side-to-side dimension.

Cosair V, RX-Q, Vector Models
= Intermediate oval interior shape. This helmet is designed for the rider whose head has a more Front-to-Back dimension that is longer
than the Side-to-Side dimension.

Quantum 2 = Round oval interior shape. No longer in production

How to fit a helmet video:
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92

1,000+ for NESBA and the partnership with Arai. If you are ever at a NESBA event and Arai is there, do yourself a HUGE favor and go listen to them and ask them to fit you for the proper Arai model and sizing.

Just having a hat on is not enough! Think of it like suspension. Yeah, just bolting the equipment on is ok, but is the equipment properly set-up? Set-up can make a world of difference. Why not treat your "Melon" like you treat your suspension. I mean your suspension can be replaced, your "Melon"... well you know!

Whatever you choose get the fitment right!

gsxr11

thanks for all the advise guys seems like arai is the one to go with i just have to fine out which model to go with

realyamr1

I say shark rsr2 due to fit and that's its a true race helmet the same that gp riders wear and not just a replication. The safety that the rsr2 gives with the technology behind it is the best. I say research all the top helmets on the market and see which one protects better. And will more and likely see that shark rsr2 at the top followed but corsair v but u can get the rsr2 for bout 200 dollars cheaper. Just my 2 cents research research.

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157242 wrote: I say shark rsr2 due to fit and that's its a true race helmet the same that gp riders wear and not just a replication. The safety that the rsr2 gives with the technology behind it is the best. I say research all the top helmets on the market and see which one protects better. And will more and likely see that shark rsr2 at the top followed but corsair v but u can get the rsr2 for bout 200 dollars cheaper. Just my 2 cents research research.
Just because the shark fits your head doesn't mean it fits everyone. also with Arai and shoei there is some at track support, does shark or others offer this? That is something else you need to factor in, if you damage something do you have to mail it off to have it fixed, or hit the track the next time and have someone fix it. And if the corsair has the right shape for fit and you want to go cheap, get the vector. when I checked into it I was told the vector has the same protection as the corsair line, but has a non removable headliner, and older vents. even still I was perfectly happy in my last off, it did its job well.

realyamr1

all im saying is this shark gives u the same helmet that there top gp racers wear on there head from any dealer or dealership that sells them. u get a true f1 gp spec helment for 200 hunderd dollars less then a corsair v. I would rather know that i have sharks best technology protecting my head then know oh well if i wreck i can go talk to some guy under a tint that can give me some surport. for 799.99 i hope arai give u all the surport u need. but yes i own a corsair v and wrecked in it at high speed and i didnt even have a headache and my head hit the groud first. so i said arai shark the best but do your homework first before u drop 7+ hundred dollars. surport or saftey is the question.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Like Mr House kind of touched on, there are other hemletSout there that will fit your needs, it's going to depend on how much you're willing to spend. I personally have the Arai and Shoei both are great helmets, I can't speak for the AGV.

realyamr1

my spell check let me down lol oh well. im not saying shark is the greatest thing around but whos going the extra mile for the customer is the true question. arai is now giving the customer a chance at getting there best technology in there new rx-7 gp helment but its a 3000 dollar helment for a plan black carbon helment when shark gives u that for 6 hundred. just do the research and go try one on and see how arai feels and how the shark feels and then do the math.

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157275 wrote: my spell check let me down lol oh well. im not saying shark is the greatest thing around but whos going the extra mile for the customer is the true question. arai is now giving the customer a chance at getting there best technology in there new rx-7 gp helment but its a 3000 dollar helment for a plan black carbon helment when shark gives u that for 6 hundred. just do the research and go try one on and see how arai feels and how the shark feels and then do the math.
I'm not saying your wrong, just that the difference between protection can't be much. And arai offers support. The shark might be the best thing since Applebutter, but the argument of this is a motogp helmet is wasted on me. Rossi wears agv, many people wear Arai, there are some that wear hjc, etc. I have wrecked in an Arai, and in an hjc. I can say next year I will be buying one of each. The hjc will be a backup cause they are cheap and I don't mind throwing it away when it expires. The arai will be my riding helmet and will get replaced with another if I wreck again.

realyamr1

i worked at cycle gear for a year and had the chance to ride in and try on a lot of helments. arai shoei sharks are all good helments but the helments we get here n the states are different then the ones in europe. but u get the same helment period no matter who u are where u are who u ride or race for or if u are a everyday rider or bike night guy u get sharks best period. and thats what I like. and they are a 5 star helment across the board, with out paying snell to put there sticker on the back.

realyamr1

the helment rossi wears u and i cant even buy so dont get pulled in to that thats a one off helment rossi wears.

realyamr1

and if u want to know the truth shark makes that helment that rossi wears and ajv pays to put there name on it. and hjc makes the helment spies wears.

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157281 wrote: i worked at cycle gear for a year and had the chance to ride in and try on a lot of helments. arai shoei sharks are all good helments but the helments we get here n the states are different then the ones in europe. but u get the same helment period no matter who u are where u are who u ride or race for or if u are a everyday rider or bike night guy u get sharks best period. and thats what I like. and they are a 5 star helment across the board, with out paying snell to put there sticker on the back.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think i read in the wera rule book helmets have to be snell approved to pass tech with them. And since I am planning on racing next year, kinda need to be able to pass tech. So if this is infact the case, then shark doesn't make sense to buy if you plan on racing before the helmet expires.
:doh: