arai vs. agv helmets

BigBird

LOrtega;157666 wrote:

However this is the main part of the SNELL vs ECU debate
Just a correction, its ECE , and specifically ECE 22.05, I think your referring to and not the electronic control unit ;)

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157658 wrote: the shark rsr2 is the only helmet that has a full carbone fiber kevlar woven matt shell with crumple zone technology for the regular pulbic. arai and shoei do not offer this to there regular customer base. the shark is design to keep the energy from an impact away from your brain. the top riders racers that wear arai, wear the rx-7gp carbone from arai thats now available for 2000 dollars, but im sure all the reps i talked to are talking out there fart hole to the person that would be selling the helmets but anyway. im sure to say if mr. edwards was to wreck in a gp race his base plate wouldnt fail and his visor just pop off. im sure he would just get up and walk away without a problem from the helmet.
Couple of things with this post.

you said before we cannot buy the Arai helmet that gp riders wear, then in this post you say we can buy it but its expensive. I would hope that technology comes at a cost. if not all expensive helmets would be no better then their $90 counterparts.

second thing is as a someone in the automotive field, and with friends in collision and body I can say crumple zones do ok in normal day to day wrecks at distributing impact, but when in severe impacts it tends to cause to much crumpling and causes worse damage. it all depends on the impact, and I would imagine helmet crumple zones are the same way. if you make the outer shell to crumple what is there left to protect in a hard impact. I have seen Arais that have been hit hard, the shell is fairly intact, but the eps liner is compacted a lot.

from the research I have done, the shell is there to distribute the load evenly to the eps liner that then slows your head. if the shell crumples how is it going to distribute that impact evenly?

realyamr1

The Kevlar that's woven into the carbone fiber stretch to handle the impact and u know it take a certain impact to get the shell to crumple

realyamr1

I'm sorry for ever posting my opinions and info on this helmet issue I'm not pro shark pro arai pro shoei I'm only pro whatever protect me the best all I was trying to say is do your own homework and buy from that info u got for yourself and not what some racer has on. But I have a corsair v I love a x-11 I love and a rsr2 I love so whatever helmet u all buy and wear have faith In that helmet cause that's the one thing that's protecting the most important thing your head

slowpoke

realyamr1;157690 wrote: ..... wear have faith In that helmet cause that's the one thing that's protecting the most important thing your head
I dunno if you're the best advertisement for a helmet:notsure: ADD, amnesia, and repeating yourself over and over.... Are you sure that Shark helmet protected your head in your last getoff:D

realyamr1

slowpoke;157694 wrote: I dunno if you're the best advertisement for a helmet:notsure: ADD, amnesia, and repeating yourself over and over.... Are you sure that Shark helmet protected your head in your last getoff:D
ive never wrecked in a shark helmet yet but the corsair v helmet failed and i lost my base plate and visor and im still looking for my eye glasses. but like i said the fit was great.

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157686 wrote: The Kevlar that's woven into the carbone fiber stretch to handle the impact and u know it take a certain impact to get the shell to crumple
My whole point about the crumple zones comment was that in a low speed or low impact crash I would want the helmet to give as much as possibke to limit concussions. But in a high impact accident i would want the shell to stay as firm as possible to allow the eps to do its job.

Let's say you highside the bike and it comes down and lands on your head, do really want the helmet to crumple or do you want the shell to be rigid to absorb the impact instead of hoping the eps liner will stop the bike before it hits your head. This is the same thing that happens if you hit an armco barrier or anything hard, except your head is moving instead of the object. I want a shell that is going to hold its shape and transfer even energy to the liner.

LOrtega

Control Rider
BigBird;157675 wrote: Just a correction, its ECE , and specifically ECE 22.05, I think your referring to and not the electronic control unit ;)
:doh: Good catch sorry I was writing that freaking chapter in a rush ....

You my friend must wear a good helmet because your faculties are working correctly :agree:

Can we title this thread as "The Most Epic Thread Ever about Nothing".

The NESBA board needs a 'epic' thread spot put on the forum so this masterpiece can be moved to its appropriate home. In addition, I'll be calling the Smithsonian (American History) as this thread has socially valuable and redeeming qualities that reflect our current times. They will be very interested I'm sure.

BZ

trailmug

At work, nothing better to do, forgive me.. :)

Re: Snell worst-case testing: I bought the theory I read that the controversial repeat-hit test is a holdover from designing safety standards for car helmets, where you can hit the same rounded item (A pillar), repeatedly, with the same spot of your head. Car drivers can also readily have their heads hit the interior at speeds much greater than a vertical fall and slide from a motorbike (yes, I understand that M2005 and M2010 are not car standards). DOT standard FMVSS 218 at least specifies "Accelerations in excess of 200g shall not exceed a cumulative duration of 2.0 milliseconds," which corresponds with head injury research force/time curves you can read here if you care. Snell seems not to mention duration at all, which is strange, considering that field-respected research specifies force*time limits, and Snell doesn't have its own cadaver heads to bash. Where would you draw a horizontal line on that chart? Now if only DOT had an actual certification process....

Mikey75702

Bubba Zanetti;157716 wrote: Can we title this thread as "The Most Epic Thread Ever about Nothing".

The NESBA board needs a 'epic' thread spot put on the forum so this masterpiece can be moved to its appropriate home. In addition, I'll be calling the Smithsonian (American History) as this thread has socially valuable and redeeming qualities that reflect our current times. They will be very interested I'm sure.

BZ
before you assign that title to this thread, you gotta read http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=266494&highlight=random+hero..... that is 40+ pages of nothingness. Atleast this thread has a topic. Not that it is following its intended topic, but it still has one.

Now if you voted to change realyamr1's name to something that deals with his knowledge of helmets, i would :haha:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
At best, I'll never wear a shark helmet now,
worse, I'll smack every rider with one on up along the back side of there head.

Mikey75702;157737 wrote: before you assign that title to this thread, you gotta read http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=266494&highlight=random+hero..... that is 40+ pages of nothingness. Atleast this thread has a topic. Not that it is following its intended topic, but it still has one.

Now if you voted to change realyamr1's name to something that deals with his knowledge of helmets, i would :haha:
We covered that WERA thread in my "Ethics in American Internet Conversations & Discussions" class in college.

That is one board I street clear of...I'm afraid to even lurk on it.

All I can say about this thread is realyamr1 and some others misunderstood the "I took a hit of track pipe" for CRACK pipe. Fill up the hooka and HEEEEEE-HAAAWWWWW :crs:

BZ

realyamr1

Wow I guess it should b changed and any guesses what my name should b whatever u come up with I'm sure it would b funny lol u guys r awesome make along day fun

Mikey75702

realyamr1;157747 wrote: Wow I guess it should b changed and any guesses what my name should b whatever u come up with I'm sure it would b funny lol u guys r awesome make along day fun
It's just a thought i got from hanging out on the wera forums. They seem to like changing peoples names. I would come up with a suggestion, but im not that witty, wo it probably wouldnt be all that funny.

Mikey75702

Bubba Zanetti;157746 wrote: We covered that WERA thread in my "Ethics in American Internet Conversations & Discussions" class in college.

That is one board I street clear of...I'm afraid to even lurk on it.

All I can say about this thread is realyamr1 and some others misunderstood the "I took a hit of track pipe" for CRACK pipe. Fill up the hooka and HEEEEEE-HAAAWWWWW :crs:

BZ
You still in college? that's gotta be expensive, doing that and trackdays.

The wera forums are hillarious, you just cant take much seriously. If you go over there just to watch, its very amusing.

And i am probably one that is categorized by that last comment. The only reason i got so invokved was because I was bored, and it was funny to see someone justifying how good a helmet is by a link to a site that didnt even test the arai or agv (I didn't see it if they did). And the comments about this company making this helmet and puting someone else name on it was funny. I have a hard time believing that unless a company is doing full production on a sub contacted basis that they would allow someone else to put their name on a helmet that will get that much publicity. If they were a subcontactor for a whole line of someones helmets maybe. But Idk??????

LOL!

No brother, I am long out of college. Just trying to be funny.

I have an idea for a shark helmet slogan: "Ride FLAT OUT! with Shark Helmets".

BZ

Mikey75702

Bubba Zanetti;157752 wrote: LOL!

No brother, I am long out of college. Just trying to be funny.

I have an idea for a shark helmet slogan: "Ride FLAT OUT! with Shark Helmets".

BZ
Lol...... but the people that ride flat out ride motogp replica bikes, so shark has to have motogp replica helmets of the people that ride motogp for the bike they own. You know thay have to match, with the fiat canopy, and the fiat trailer rig, etc.