ATV/4 wheeler opinions please

PJZOCC624

Hey all! I'm currently looking at atv's for me and the family. Looking at utility quads only, used, and midsize(300-500cc) for the wife and full size (500cc +) for me. Thinking nothing older than '05. Looking at doing trail riding 90% of the time, with the occasional muddy stuff when the mood strikes. I'd want a 4x4 for the big quad, but doesn't have to be for the wife.

I'm thinking the midsize should be big enough to put a seat on the back rack, but am I wrong? The seat on the back would be for the kiddos to ride along.

Any opinions on the Polaris products? Reliability, etc? I'm not leaning toward any brand in particular, but am leaning toward Honda and CanAm. Polaris quads are abundant on Craigslist, at least in this area. Lots of Polaris Predator 50s, which I'm thinking for my son (who's 5).

Is there a general mileage usage for atv's? Ie, would you shy away from a 5 year old quad with 8K miles?

TIA for any helpful insight!

:popcorn:

barry38

PJ - I worked at a multi-line import shop for about 8 years total, both as a sales manager, and service manager. The Honda ATV's were by far the most dependable of the bunch, followed by Yamaha. I've been out of that business since 2009, so things may have changed since then, but the Polaris stuff was complete junk. It got to a point where we would not even take them on trade, as there would always seem to be big issues after the sale.

If I had to rank them, based on my experience it would be: 1. Honda. 2. Yamaha. 3 Suzuki. 4. Kawasaki. 5. Everything else.

Be really careful when buying used. Make sure you completely check the machine, engine oil, diff fluid, drive and suspension components. Check the air filter and intake tracts. If it is a belt drive type auto trans model, check the drain plugs for water/mud intrusion. Check all the suspension and steering pivot points for wear. People beat these things to death. If it looks beat up, be very wary.

Good luck!

PJZOCC624

Thanks for the tips Barry! I was looking at a Predator 50 as they are abundant. Ill keep looking!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

flynlow69

Don't rule out new. I've picked up a couple of bikes that were a couple of years old but still new in the box. Got mine from Southernhonda in Tennessee. There was a place in Jersey also. For a 6800 dollar 450 I paid 4750 out the door.

PJZOCC624

Haven't ruled out new if I found a great deal on a leftover, but those deals in CNY are hard to find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
PJ,
Both of my brothers-in-law are quadaholics and are really tapped into that community. From talking with them, Polaris (Bombardier) is at the bottom of the list after any kind of light use, they start to literally fall apart. Honda is hands down the best regardless of size, followed by any of the other "big four".

So, essentially +1 to what Barry said (with independent verification). Like most other things, you get what you pay for.

PJZOCC624

Thanks Steve.

I'm getting mixed reviews on the Yamaha line actually. Had a couple people in the "biz" tell me to stay away for similar reasons on the Polaris. I think I'm leaning towards Kawi and Honders at this point, but still researching.

In regards to Polaris, the youth quads specifically - they seem pretty basic. Does the quality issues you guys see/hear about trickle down to the youth quads?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It depends where your kids will be riding them. If just putting around the house and stuff, then I'd say its reasonable to deal with. If they'll be on them way in the sticks with you guys, then I wouldn't take the chance. But then again, the itty-bitty ones don't have all the goods like full size ones, so less to break. But I don't have any experience with any brand of youth quads so I'm speaking from where I poo.

barry38

PJ - As far as the small ones go, the Honda TRX90 is hands down the best of the bunch. I would not hesitate to get one of any age if it looks like it hasn't been abused. They are pretty simple to work on, and as long as you change the oil, they are pretty much bullet proof.

The week spot on many of these machines, including the Yamaha's are the belt drive transmissions. If you ingest any water or mud, you will get slippage, and depending on how much water/mud get in there, you may end up stranded. Honda uses either standard gear type tranny's, some with electric shift, or hydrostatic type trans, so you don't get these issues.

When I lived in King Salmon, Alaska, Honda was by far the most popular ATV. The main reason was they don't break, and with the nearest dealer 270 miles away accessible only by air, dependability mattered.

PJZOCC624

The thing about the Hondas is their mid size quads don't have the IRS... Or am I missing something?

Looks like I'll be picking up a TRX90 for Boomer this week. :D

barry38

Independent rear suspension is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. The only time IRS is a real benefit is when you are crawling through really rough/rocky terrain. ATV's with IRS are not as stable at higher speeds when cornering at it allows a lot more body roll. Yes, a solid axle will lift the inside rear wheel when cornering, however, they will also slide the rear much more predictably. IRS also has a lot more pivot points, u-joints etc, more things that can wear and break. Based on what you are looking to use these for, a machine with a solid rear axle will work just fine.

PJZOCC624

In discussions I've had with ATV owners, they've indicated that the IRS will lessen rider fatigue over longer rides. Not true?

I hadn't considered the point about the IRS having more wear/tear points. Thanks!

barry38

PJ - Again, if you are riding in really rough, rocky terrain, IRS would be a benefit. If you are just riding normal trails, fairly smooth, moderate speeds, it really won't matter. Personally, I'd rather have bullet proof dependability over features any day. That's why I wouldn't own an ATV with a CV belt drive trans. I figure the less there is to go wrong, the better off I am. Especially when you are 20 miles from nowhere.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Hey PJ! I have a 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 350. Its used upstate in the woods by my nieces and nephew! They beat the crap out of it! This is the manual shift model. The only thing that we do to it is general maintenance! Oil changes and lubes! It is a little work to do all this stuff, but it runs and rides great! This is a 4X4 with independent suspension.
I bought it for hunting and it has dragged more than enough deer out of the woods! When its not in use we put the battery tender on it.

bmrboy

Honda 450 foreman with ESP [ELECTRONIC SHIFT[ Have pulled many a tree out of the woods
snow plow attachments , winches , real work horse ... not the fastest , but so what !! 45-50 tops on smooth
dirt road ... I have a York rake for mine , will re-surface any gravel driveway no problem LOTS OF TORQUE !!!!
Bought new 13 yrs. ago not 1 problem ... great machine ...

Oh , by the way ... if you get the Honda stuck in the mud .... you really screwed up !!! :wow:

PJZOCC624

barry38;287812 wrote: Personally, I'd rather have bullet proof dependability over features any day. That's why I wouldn't own an ATV with a CV belt drive trans..
Good points. Resetting my criteria. Thanks!