Avoiding Parkways for a trailer

BonesDT

I'm doing Lee Parks' Total Control course (www.christineskickstart.com) tomorrow up at Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie, NY!

I'm trying to figure out how to get there (coming from the South - White Plains) without using parkways since I'm taking my trailer. I'm checking out googlemaps.com and it gives me the option to use 9/9A. However, no matter how I detour onto side roads, I can't seem to avoid sections of Briarcliff Peekskill Pkwy.

Does anyone know how to get up to Poughkeepsie? Is there a web map that calculates routes for trailers?

dolfnz67

I'm not sure exactly where in poughkeepsie your going to but you can take 684 north to 84 west and get off on route 9 and go north.

BonesDT

Thanks, that's exactly what I just came up with playing around on the map. A little bit more out of the way than I liked, but I guess it's the only way.

I'm pretty surprised the big guys (google & mapquest) don't have a truck/trailer feature. They let you "avoid highways" & tolls, but they really need this feature! It also would be nice if they broke down all the tolls on a trip (instead of just the vague "toll road"). Apparently, some E-Z Pass tolls automatically calculate your trailer axle, and some you have to go through the cash lane, depending on who owns that road. I never figured it out, I just gun E-Z Pass them and hope I don't get pulled over. It worked going to BeaveRun.