Back protector question

Bizzle72

I did a search and didn't find an answer to this question specifically, so here goes: I'm doing my first track day at NJMP on the 24th and have been familiarizing myself with the rulebook. I read that a back protector is "strongly recommended". My question is, does the protector have to be one similar to an A-Stars Bionic with the straps and belt and all that, or is the Dainese protector that fits in the pocket in the back of my jacket (two piece suit) OK? Thanks in advance, just want to be sure before I spend $150 on the A-Stars BP.

JayhawkInDC

Any of them will work for riding at the track. For my .02, I have the A* bionic vest, and it is AMAZING! It doesn't ride up, it has the chest protectors and I can even tell it is there.

Get the best you can afford. Gear is cheaper than fixing the bones that you didn't cover well!

pointer

The "pad" that fits into the suite, (pocket) is quite minimal. Get something more substantial CE2 rated. I had /have a Bohn "hardshell" that has worked well but a bit restrictive, ( a bit large) I just picked up a Joe Rocket Pro for $125...a softer, more conforming model that is still CE2 rated and fits great.

Hambone

I went without a back protector my first few days. I made out fine (lucky). I think it is an item that you can add as you start doing more days and get a feel for what you might need. Obviously the sooner the better. I use the Knox racing protector and it is really nice. It covers the assbone and the shoulder blades. Good gear is important and usually expensive but don't be afraid to spend money on good gear. It will make you feel good and you won't regret it.

dbarufaldi

Personally, I wouldn't ride on the track without one. I wear mine on the street as well. A good friend of mine hit a guardrail, sliding into it backwards - broke his hip, shattered legs, and many other injuries. Had to learn to walk again. He would have died without the back protector. Docs knew this because in the days after the crash, he developed black and blue bruising on his back in the exact shape of the back protector.

That is really what it's all about - taking the energy of a concentrated impact, and slowing it down (through varying density material) and distributing it across a broader area, while protecting more vulnerable areas.

Bite the bullet and buy a good protector. Then make up your mind that you don't ride without it. It will take a couple laps to get used to it, then it's not there anymore. If you can't afford a good one, skip your next trackday to buy it. It's that important, IMO.

I also recommend a mouthguard. It's a buck for an over-the-counter guard, or more if you want custom from your dentist. Again, following a buddies crash, where the chinbar of the helmet was toast, a doc said "I don't know how you still have all your teeth"...the rider was wearing a guard, but EMT's had removed it before the doc saw him.

kd83

Either or will offer better protection then just the pad that comes with the suit. Your best option would be one that has the straps and belt, they usually offer more protection area and like others said the CE2 would be the better choice

Clarus

I recently traded my knox protector for a T-Pro force field back protector. Got it from England because they were hard to find over here, but now it looks like everyone [kneedraggers, curvygirl] carry them. It's much more comfortable than my Knox and feels more significant.

jwardr6

Just a suggestion but Ebay has some good deals on them. I think they have a pretty nice Alpine Star one on sale right now. Trust me a broken back of any kind will cost you more than any back protector you buy.

Bizzle72

I got my alpinestars bionic yesterday from motorcycle Superstore. Fits good. Also highly recommend those guys. Good price REALLY fast shipping. Looking forward to NJMP on Monday with this new gear.

BigBird

glad you got a back protector, you might also want to check out the trackday store in the future, for NESBA credits.

see you out there!