Back to back days on different tracks. Helpful or harmful for learning?

As a beginner I am curious if this is a good idea for increasing skills or would prove more confusing. The courses are VIR south and north but could be any for the purpose of this thread.

As of now I am scheduled for August 21st and 22 on the south but am thinking of doing the 22nd on the south and the 23rd on the north instead.

I have read that the north course is more technical and harder to learn. Should I stick with the south and hone skills on a less difficult course and then tackle the north later?

Reg

jas0336

I always have my best days when I can do 2 (or more) at the same track. That way I can learn the track on the first day and just concentrate on finding reference points and getting the overall layout. Then the next day I can play.
That being said, seat time is seat time. You may not get as familiar with each track but you're still spending time with your bike...I think that alone helps build confidence and forwards your progress.
Just have fun and be safe

My wife suggested doing all three. Hmmm is it survivable? That third day might kill me. Might be too tired to get anything out it. Especially on an entirely new course.

Reg

jas0336

I love doing 3 days when I have the opportunity. You can relax and take your time. You dont feel like you have to ride every second of every session. I usually do 2 days at a time and I skip sessions when I dont feel 100% or when its really hot. I stay rested and relaxed and make WAYYYY less mistakes.

When I used to only do 1 day events I was much more drained afterward. I just ended up pushing way too hard every single session and tried to get my money's worth by riding every second....I ended up progressing slower because I made too many mistakes.
My riding improved much more when I did multi days and started resting more between sessions.
YMMV

barry38

It depends on whether your goal is to become a more well rounded rider, or someone who just wants to learn to ride one track. If it's the former, do the south/north combo, the latter, do south/south.

I look at it this way, a turn is a turn is a turn. The skills needs to be smooth and consistant do not vary from track to track. The more tracks you ride, the more well rounded your skill set will be.

And besides, VIR north is 2+ miles of racetrack heaven if you ask me. And it's no harder or easier to learn to ride than any other track.

barry38;138935 wrote: It depends on whether your goal is to become a more well rounded rider, or someone who just wants to learn to ride one track. If it's the former, do the south/north combo, the latter, do south/south.

I look at it this way, a turn is a turn is a turn.
Right now I'll go with the north/south combo. Do you think three days is a good idea or would it just wear me down to the point that I woudn't get much our of that last day.

I agree with Josh. It is nice not feeling pressured to be out every session. May's SED was really nice. When I felt too tired I just sat, thought about things and enjoyed the scenery.

Reg

But barry38 is leaving out the best advice, which he has given me, is you really should consider working out by biking or utilizing an exercise bike.

I found an exercise bike in great condition cheap and I've been riding that evil thing religiously and I can tell you it really does help. I was able to ride two days in a row and although I was mentally exhausted, I only sat out one session on the second day.

Again, some of the best advice I've ever recieved for riding track days.

BZ

Thanks Bubba,

I try to stay in shape. Having a new, expensive suit helps to encourage that.

I use a combination of an elliptical, walking, sit ups, elastic bands and occasional weights.

My biggest problem is numbing in my right hand towards day's end. I know it is due to an excessively tight grip but it still happens.

I still get quite sore the day after an event.

Reg

afinepoint,

I am in your same situation. I elected to go with 22/23 but now I maay try all three days lol I was worried about my tires not surviving but people say they get 4-6 track days out of their Q2s.

Meat

crashkhanman;145954 wrote: afinepoint,

I am in your same situation. I elected to go with 22/23 but now I maay try all three days lol I was worried about my tires not surviving but people say they get 4-6 track days out of their Q2s.
I haven't ridden the Q2's but I would think you would get a lot more than 4 to 6 days on a set at a B-group pace.

Meat

Helpful.

I always do three days when I possibly can. If you are really starting to get sore and tired on your first 2 days, you can go easy for a session or 2, or even set one out.

rk97

any musicians out there?

I liken riding a new-to-you track to sight-reading.

Learning a new track is a skill that requires just as much practice as anything else.

Thus far I have one SED and two track days on the Power Pures. The three days upcoming will put the tires at six days. I am not sure if I should go ahead and order another set to have standing by.

Reg

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
afinepoint;146039 wrote: Thus far I have one SED and two track days on the Power Pures. The three days upcoming will put the tires at six days. I am not sure if I should go ahead and order another set to have standing by.

Reg
I recommend riding as many different tracks as possible, it will enhance your riding skills. The SED is almost like riding two track days....45 sessions and so many CRs wiling to provide there expertise! Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a backup tire ready for install. Enjoy and have fun out there :cool:

DFlowe

afinepoint;138864 wrote: My wife suggested doing all three. Hmmm is it survivable? That third day might kill me. Might be too tired to get anything out it. Especially on an entirely new course.

Reg
Your wife is very wise and I would take her suggestion
if I were you. In all seriousness, three days is doable and as much seat time as possible really helps the track skills.

I'll be there for all three days and hope you will as
well.