Bad accident at NJMP - different org

slowpoke

came across this in the local paper and hope these guys are ok. Whether or not it's a reflection on the org, i have no opinion but did change my mind (right or wrong) about signing up with them.

Two cyclists critically injured Sat. at NJMP
Monday, May 25, 2009
From staff reports

MILLVILLE - Two cyclists were critcally injured at the New Jersey Motorsports Park Saturday in separate crashes on the racetrack.

The crashes happened a couple of hours apart, according to Sgt. Steve Jones, New Jersey State Police spokesperson.

"They happened in mid-afternoon, he said. "The cyclists came from all over.

Jones could not identify the injured cyclists.

Jones called it a training exercise involving a club called Team Pro-Motion, which was starting a three-day weekend at the park.

According to its Web site, Team Pro-Motion provides motorcycle riders an environment where they can ride as fast as they want to with as much safety built in as possible.

In the first accident, a motorcycle rider came out of a turn too fast and crashed into three cyclists ahead of him.

According to Jones, the cyclist, from Lancaster, Pa., suffered head injuries, but regained consciousness while being transported by helicopter to AtlanticCare Regional Medical Center, in Atlantic City.

One of the three cyclists he hit suffered a back sprain and said he would later get treatment himself.

In the second accident, a cyclist from Yonkers, N.Y., misjudged a curve and decelerated too fast, causing him to flip over the fornt of the bike.

He also suffered head injuries and was unresponsive while being flown to AtlantiCare. He was listed in critical condition Saturday night.

Team Pro-Motion has been at the motorsports park before -Êon April 26 and May 11 -Êwithout incident.

Over the years, the club has grown to thousands of riders who have come to enjoy the freedom that the track allows.

Team Pro-Motion is said by many to have become one of the most organized, friendly and safety conscious track organizations.

On any given track event date, coaches circulate the track and are available for questions, riding tips, lead follow sessions and general assistance.

One motorcyclist remains critical, another upgraded to fair in NJMP crash
by Sandra Johnson, The News of Cumberland County
Monday May 25, 2009, 9:59 PM
MILLVILLE -- One of three men injured in two motorcycle crashes at the New Jersey Motorsports Park Saturday remains critical, while another was upgraded to fair condition Sunday.

Joseph Stabinski, 38, of Lancaster, Pa., who suffered a number of injuries and head trauma in the first accident, was in critical but stable condition as of Sunday afternoon, according to reports from Sgt. Julian Castellanos of New Jersey State Police Office of Public Information.

James Blanck, 32, of Yonkers, N.Y., suffered multiple impact injuries in the second crash.

Both were airlifted Saturday via SouthStar to AtlanticCare Regional Medical Center, in Atlantic City.

According to a nursing supervisor at AtlanticCare, Stabinski's family requested no additional information be released, and Blanck's name was not in the hospital computer Monday night.

During open lap time, Stabinski was riding his motorcycle and flipped it over the front wheel, which ejected him.

The cycle then struck the rear of another bike, driven by Ameer Waheed, 27, of Prince William, Va.

Waheed was discharged from his cycle when struck.

Though he declined treatment at the scene, he later requested to be treated.

He was then taken to South Jersey Healthcare-Regional Medical Center, in Vineland, where he was treated and released.

Police records indicated that Blanck was ejected from his Kawasaki sportbike during Team Pro-Motion Track Day's open lap session at the NJMP after he failed to negotiate the eighth turn and lost control.

NJMP race track official Don Fauerbach noted that accidents usually don't occur on the straightaway of the track.

"More often than not," he added, "they all occur on the turns."

He noted that Team Pro-Motion has a great safety record and advocates safety.

However, he added, "it is risky business to go out on motorcycles.

"I hope those guys are doing better; that's the main thing," he said. "We'll be praying for them."

The crashes are still under investigation.

ridelater

my buddy is the second guy in this story and he is fine with only a few broken bones. and it has nothing to do with tpm but his misjuding a turn and squeezing another day out of a shitty tire.

BrianK01

ridelater;63942 wrote: my buddy is the second guy in this story and he is fine with only a few broken bones. and it has nothing to do with tpm but his misjuding a turn and squeezing another day out of a shitty tire.
i am signed up for my 1st track day at njmp. this is my biggest fear. i know i will be extra cautious my 1st time out i am just a little leery of some one else taking me out because they are doing something similar to this...........

Hambone

That track is very easy to go on. It is very clean and smooth. Accidents happen and they all suck but you don't need to second guess NJMP. Just go at your own pace and comfort level and remember that it is not a race. It's a very nice facility and NESBA is good at keeping things safe. Go and have fun!!!

Carlos Escobar

BrianK01;63948 wrote: i am signed up for my 1st track day at njmp. this is my biggest fear. i know i will be extra cautious my 1st time out i am just a little leery of some one else taking me out because they are doing something similar to this...........
If you are having doubts then you shouldnt be on the track. thats how Shit happens, be aware of yourself and don`t screw up, the rest you have no control over

danch

BrianK01;63948 wrote: i am signed up for my 1st track day at njmp. this is my biggest fear. i know i will be extra cautious my 1st time out i am just a little leery of some one else taking me out because they are doing something similar to this...........
Most crashes at the track are one-bike things. Obviously, multiple bike accidents happen, but they're not at all common.

BrianK01

danch;64047 wrote: Most crashes at the track are one-bike things. Obviously, multiple bike accidents happen, but they're not at all common.
i know a lowside is probably the most likely scenerio. i am gonna go out and have a great time and not worry about things i have no control over:)

slowpoke

BrianK01;64052 wrote: i know a lowside is probably the most likely scenerio. i am gonna go out and have a great time and not worry about things i have no control over:)
A great time and a new addiction is the most likely scenario - don't sweat the rest.

Poper

danch;64047 wrote: Most crashes at the track are one-bike things. Obviously, multiple bike accidents happen, but they're not at all common.
I agree. All of my get-offs have been single bike crashes that were caused my rider error. If and when it does happen, this is what it will probably be like. No worries, SOOOOOO much safer and more fun than riding on the street!

SHADER

Its all about choice !!

Hey brianko1,

just thought i'd try to give a little perspective on your concerns.first off
i'm no xpert i did my intro on may may 15th and i couldn't type enough good things it would take too long.the other members of nesba that i met were great people and the staff and cr's excellent.but as good as this all is
it can't eliminate chance.i'm in the same boat as u .i think about the
consequence of crashing but most likely its gonna happen at sometime
whether on street or the track.i research everything and in the end all
the statistics really mean nothing and why ?because the one variable is u.
No one wants to be injured .i think about what happens if i miss work or
others things i love to do being affected.but the simple fact is i love sport bikes and want to ride to my best ability and learn to do it well.
I don't care if i'm in beginner forever i'm not there to race or be better
anyone.i'm there too literally enjoy the bike and the bonus is meeting
some fine people who enjoy it as well.trust me once your in the lane to
enter the track all u think about is the ride.just listen to the crs and u
be fine .and if u feel cramped just pull in and wait for an open area in
the pack then go on your own.that and good gear r the only advice i can
give .like u i figure the first will be a low side so i just order a pair
of really good boots to protect my ankles .but i'm not just gonna try it
either.hey its like anything else u dont know till u try it.but like everyone
states here it can be addicting to most.so july 20 i'm getting my next fix.
Its like they say if it was pure fun with no risk then everybody would do
it and probably wouldn't be fun most likely too crowded.sorry for the
rambling on just my 2 cents and its not even worth that because in the
end its all about choice .

Take care
be safe
have fun

trekuhl

Control Rider
yep i was there that day. it could have happened at any track day it all depends on the actions of the riders out there.

one thing i will say is that TPM's riders meetings are a lot looser and even tho the B meetings w/nesba get a little old after a while, the structure it gives noobs is IMHO much better. then again, maybe that is just me.

vanbreezy

Just my 02 cent but people are afraid of crashing on the track or someone taking them out ,but ride the street where the chances are greater and most times with deadly results. DONT MAKE ALOT OF SENSE TO ME :dunno:

rk97

That article is typical crappy, alarmist reporting. The reporter knows next to nothing about riding, and is getting second or third-hand information at best; and intentionally leaving out information at worst.

"Team Pro-Motion provides motorcycle riders an environment where they can ride as fast as they want to with as much safety built in as possible." I'd be surprised if that's how TPM's web site reads. "as fast as they want" doesn't sound right to me.

It's unfortunate that people were hurt, and I wish them full and speedy recoveries, but I'm not going to believe this newspaper as a credible source to evaluate TPM's safety as an organization. I've never ridden with them, so it's nothing 'personal' to me. I just think they're trying to vilify TPM, the track, and motorcycles in general when they report this sort of thing.

how many of us have crashed without injury? about a billion. Any stories about that in the paper?

jfmgsxr750

I was there that weekend on may23rd with TPM. I was in the white (novice) group and it was very wild. WE were yelled at 3 seperate times for this. I have ridden with them many times and have never seen it uncontrolled like this. It wasn't until they started black flaggin and sending people home that it finally calmed down. Not TPM fault just the riders that day. There was a very hairy event with NESBA in may with the I group on lightning. This gentleman decides he is gonna late brake everyone at the end of the straight away. There were at least 6 bikes there, and he was too far too the right too make it safely thru the right turn. He panicks, slams on the brakes and endos.....I see out the corner of my eye a bike and a rider flippin over and sliding off the track. It was a miracle no one else was hurt or taken out. Again not NESBA's fault, just poor judgement by the rider.

But I will say, TPM tends to oversell their days and that tends to make it more dangerous on the track specially in the white (novice) group.

stephenjpauls

I had this same fear the first day I was on the track, and it caused me to do some things that made it more likely to get hit. Rather than run the race line, I would position myself on the track where I felt it made it easier for people to pass... I also would look behind me many times, which took my focus off the road ahead and caused me to swerve slightly. Both of these things are a BAD
idea. Something that it is very important for people to realize their first time out is to ride their ride, and not worry about the guys behind you. As soon as you start looking behind you, or running really inconstant lines that is when you cause issues for the guy trying to pass you safely.

BlueMax

I got there Saturday @ 5:15 pm, they were still running A group which I thought was odd. That was until Pat and Mike informed me about Jamies and what a total cluster F@#$ the day was. Rode Sunday with Mike in I group and had a blast. Mike even commented how well the day went compaired to Saturday. There are a few things I would like to see TPM change but ever track club can have a bad day through no fault of there own.

NESBA says it best at every riders meeting I have been to, "Look to the rider on your left then look to the rider on your right. You are the ones that dictate how todays event is going to be." So true.

Burnall4

Here is my .02 since I just did a track day with TPM at VIR's north course this monday. I had a good time overall and was glad to be out on the track but here are the things I noticed about differently about the two organizations. I am not saying that one is better than the other, just pointing out the differences.

Tech - TPM just checks your helmet and your bike, NESBA checks your gear, your bike, your helmet, your ID
Riders Meeting - Basically the same as NESBA's with differences on Flags (because of the races the past weekend)
Control Riders - they are present in both TPM and NESBA for B/White and I/Red, in White group for TPM the control riders are very very very aware of what is going on and control the pace very well, including the ART basic classes. In the Red group, when there were out on the track they were basically riding with someone they were helping or evaluating. NESBA we all know, the control riders are out there controlling the pace.
Riding sessions - Morning sessions with TPM were crazy, people passing on the inside, stuffing other riders, forcing them off, not holding lines...Can be said the same with NESBA as well, but I never encountered that level of "what were you thinking" with NESBA yet. One incident even caused a fellow NESBA rider to go off at the bottom of T7, through the barriers at over 100mph(ish) But by the afternoon, all the people had crashed out or left leaving TONS of green track and good riders.

Overall - both are very professional organizations, and they have a strict safety requirements. The day went well, and I have no real complaints other than the morning sessions being a total waste of time and energy. I would recommend riding with either organization. But personally I prefer NESBA.

For reference I ride B group with NESBA and Red (I group) with TPM.