Bad Crash at Barber 07-18-08

MotorSWATCop

Don't quit...re-assess. You went through a traumatic experience; learn from it. I looked at your video and, to me, it looks like you are riding helter-skelter. There was absolutely no consistency from lap to lap. Invest in a riding school. Reg Pridmore's CLASS was my first and I loved it. I did it on a FJR @ Barber. He teaches smoothness and set up. Also, at the beginning of the class he emphasizes that it is not a racing school. Get the fundamentals and then expand on them.

I wrecked at Tally in March in the circle:doh:. I knew, as I broke the back end loose, what I had done wrong. Last session; last day; shagged tires; and too much testosterone. I got passed and did not like it. It cost me $2200 and made me a much better and smarter rider.

This sport is awesome fun. Suck it up that you made a mistake and learn from it. The speed will come as your experience increases. In SWAT training we always emphasize that SLOW IS SMOOTH. SMOOTH IS FAST. Good luck.

kevin

Concussion

I went to the doctor's office and they diagnosed me with concussion. wasn't caught in catscan, the doctor also took blood tests. I have to call him in 3 days and may have to take CAT scan again. Everybody take it easy and I will talk to you later.:banghead:

Kevin

Folly1

Good luck Kevin. I have a friend who rang his bell at the track and they told him to sit out a YEAR. That sucks, but is rare. Please post an up date.

Ben.

R1oneRedbull

Glad your ok

Had a bad experience there myself at turn 1, expert class. Bike fliped ran out of track. I was leaning and realized i turn too late. Lovely sight. A friend who was following me saw everything and sure enough it was a free show to tell a story.

Tips , lean towards to left side of the edge as close as possible. Like i need to tell you guys that lol

kevin

Update on concussion

Folly1;11490 wrote: Good luck Kevin. I have a friend who rang his bell at the track and they told him to sit out a YEAR. That sucks, but is rare. Please post an up date.

Ben.
Hello Ben and all,

Thanks for your concern. I had to get MRI scan of blood vessels in my pea brain:D Everything tested negative. Doctor said concussion should go away 3 weeks to 4. If i'm ok will Nesba let me do track day on 09-27-08. I may have to cancel, please let me know when you get a chance. By the way I hope you never have to get a MRI, it felt like I was in microwave for 30 minutes. Was I in the microwave?:notsure:

Take care,

Kevin

:)

MotorSWATCop

I love MRI's! That's some of the best sleeping ever! Nice cool air and that ticking...Shit I'm sleepy now.

Glad you got your situation narrowed down.

Folly1

Crash

Kevin,

Great news. I'm with you on the MRI. A tiny bit of claustrophobia makes it a miserable experience, then the ones I have done were super loud. Not the most fun you can have for $1000 +.

I don't think NESBA tech's your brain. Most of us would not pass and the grid would have only 6 or 10 on it with probably no one in "A". LOL. If the Dr clears you, I am sure you can ride.

Ben.

Meat

I am with SWATcop. I go to sleep in them every time. I hate being wedged into them because the closed sided ones are made for anorexic supermodels, not Beef-loving red blooded American men...LOL!!!

Good to hear Kevin is doing well. I hope you come back to the track with a lesson well learned. I have learned just from reading this thread and thinking a little.

Meat

kevin

Meat;11785 wrote: I am with SWATcop. I go to sleep in them every time. I hate being wedged into them because the closed sided ones are made for anorexic supermodels, not Beef-loving red blooded American men...LOL!!!

Good to hear Kevin is doing well. I hope you come back to the track with a lesson well learned. I have learned just from reading this thread and thinking a little.

Meat
I love hamburgers too! Don't like chicken unless its hot wings! I definitely learn a hard lesson with this. I must have a thick head to learn this way!:D I am ready to apply what learn to the next track day! Thanks for all the cr's help on this forum and everybody else! See you at the track!

kevin

Folly1;11765 wrote: Kevin,

Great news. I'm with you on the MRI. A tiny bit of claustrophobia makes it a miserable experience, then the ones I have done were super loud. Not the most fun you can have for $1000 +.

I don't think NESBA tech's your brain. Most of us would not pass and the grid would have only 6 or 10 on it with probably no one in "A". LOL. If the Dr clears you, I am sure you can ride.

Ben.
Hey Ben,

Yeah they should pay us $1000 to do those MRI's. The least they could do is give us a beer IV :idea: Doctor told me concussions don't cause permanent damage but he still wanted to do MRI to make sure. I will probably invest my money in a better helmet (arai). I had a KBC snell and dot approved but kind of unsure about it. Talk to you later!

MotorSWATCop

As far as helmets go...Concussions are caused by the rapid deceleration forces that happen to your brain in a crash. When your helmeted head smacks the ground, your brain keeps moving for microseconds and slams into the side of your skull. That causes swelling and the resultant concussion. It sounds like your helmet worked just fine. If an Arai, Shoei, Suomy, fit you the best, great! Don't necessarily equate high cost w/ penultimate protection. As long as the helmet has gone through the proper certification and is reasonably new (most race orgs require it to be no more than 5 years old) and fits you well, you'll be in good shape. The higher priced helmets do have better graphics, sound elimination and comfort features.