Ball on end brake lever

cheekymonkey2

Nesba rules state, Both brake and clutch lever must have ball on end. I guess they're talking about the ball on the end of the OEM levers. I have aftermarket "shorty" levers. They don't have a "ball" but a rounded cylindrical type end. I might be splitting hairs here, but I'd hate to show up for my first track day and get sent home. Will I be ok with what I've got? Any help?? Thanks!!

what they mean by a "ball end" is that you don’t have a lever that is pointy and will puncture you or somebody else in a wreck/contact. I would think if you have a "shorty lever" that was manufactured to be a shorty (smooth rounded end...not a puncture hazard) and not a shorty made that way by a wreck (jagged and pointy end) you will be fine.

cheekymonkey2

Thanks for the quick response guys! They're basically identical to the CRG's. I would tell you what brand, but I've no idea. They're Chinese knock off's, but like I said, just like the CRG shorty's. Julio pretty much explained the reason for the "ball", so I'm sure I'll be ok. I'll be at Road Atlanta on May 29th. It's great that everyone's so helpful. Looking forward to it! Thanks again!

liteitup

oooo Id be careful with those cheap ass chinese levers. My buddy bought some cheap ass chinese pegs for his bike and one broke while riding on the street and almost caused him to wreck. Let alone being at the track with a lot more pressure on everything, plus speed, etc. Get rid of them, go back to stock or spend the money on the quailty names...
I stupidly bought a cheap ass chinese fairing stay bracket for my 954 off ebay (I always buy quality stuff! (IDIOT!)) and what do you know, the holes were stripped out and the design was even different, and it was new!!

cheekymonkey2

Yeah, the CRG's are about..$200-300. These Chinese ones were $35! I had a bad feeling when I saw the price, but I've beat the shit out of them and they seem strong enough. But point taken. I'll switch them out for the track day, just to be safe.(Hate to take anyone out, cos I was a cheap ass). Thanks.

geekmug

cheekymonkey2;125863 wrote: Yeah, the CRG's are about..$200-300. These Chinese ones were $35! I had a bad feeling when I saw the price, but I've beat the shit out of them and they seem strong enough. But point taken. I'll switch them out for the track day, just to be safe.(Hate to take anyone out, cos I was a cheap ass). Thanks.
What most likely will be different is what happens in a bike-to-ground incident. I have seen many levers (including OEM) snap, which will ruin your day unless you or a kind stranger has a spare. On the other hand, my Pazzo levers have felt asphalt a few times and they bent/grinded instead.. leaving me an ugly, but perfectly usable lever. If you get folding levers, then you are extra less likely to have your day ruined with a broken lever. I think that's really what it comes down to in the end.

sheepofblue

Lever also have a notch on non-scammer brands. The ball and the notch is for the when you crash they are less apt to puncture you or your victim. Stay away from that Chinese copy crap, not only is there a risk of failure you are likely putting a fellow rider who did the development work out of business.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
cheekymonkey2;125863 wrote: Yeah, the CRG's are about..$200-300. These Chinese ones were $35! I had a bad feeling when I saw the price, but I've beat the shit out of them and they seem strong enough. But point taken. I'll switch them out for the track day, just to be safe.(Hate to take anyone out, cos I was a cheap ass). Thanks.
Good idea! There's some things just not worth skimping on!;)