Banner Ads Suck!

Perlzuki

The selling of NESBA , gotta love it. Just hope they don't sell our names & info to others??? Might get banned, but just my opinion.

Mark
SE CR #249 ( retired )

j_fuggin_t

most forums are all owned by verticle scope & they do take money to operate and operate at a decent speed, i was always surprised by the no ad's but low & behold here they are.

jcrich

You guys do realize that it costs money for hosting, server admin and bandwidth, right? The Forum Fairy doesn't make this stuff appear magically.

RyanITV

Admin
jcrich;226216 wrote: You guys do realize that it costs money for hosting, server admin and bandwidth, right? The Forum Fairy doesn't make this stuff appear magically.
Yeah - we just had to upgrade the server. Even moving to a new host to bring costs down, it's still not cheap. Can't blame Bob for trying - he was like "why can't we just get one of those $10/month accounts?" ... I bet him you guys would bring that thing to its knees in 10 minutes.

This new server will allow us to do an upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 - complete with their mobile support that won't require Tap-a-Talk. Sadly, none of it's free.

Ryan

Gorecki

The idea and scope of ads has purpose there is no question. Granted the revenue they generate is often trivial at best.

The side effect in some situations is the ultimate negative. When people visit from networks run trough a content filtering/restricting mechanism what happens in some cases is COMPLETELY ELIMINATING their ability to visit at all because this mechanism can blacklist the entire domain!

I deal with the above daily, right now my ability to visit hasn't been restricted yet, but it will be! There are many places on the internet restricted because their hosting service hosts something else considered *bad* so the entire IP address range is locked out. I haven't been able to get to roadracingworld.com for a long time because of this. Anything the average joe can get to, I can't during the day.

So, like I said, for lack of any better qualifier, banner ads suck!

Is there any intension of a pay for membership (oh that's right I already do that) to not have them?

Gorecki

Gorecki;226225 wrote:
Is there any intension of a pay for membership (oh that's right I already do that) to not have them?
Ya know what, please excuse me, that really wasn't called for. But seriously, is there a way WE can collectively re-coop the costs to not have them? I'm not kidding, pretty soon, it's very likely pretty soon I won't be able to visit during the day. :(

Gorecki

jcrich;226228 wrote: You haven't been able to get RRW from where? Work? Home?
Work.

Also, for what ever possibly change oriented reason I am suddenly no longer getting email notifications when someone posts to a subscribed forum.

jcrich

Gorecki;226229 wrote: Work.

Also, for what ever possibly change oriented reason I am suddenly no longer getting email notifications when someone posts to a subscribed forum.
Well I'm sure you know the answer to this one then. Your employer probably wants you working and not surfing the Web. :D

some guy #2

jcrich;226231 wrote: Well I'm sure you know the answer to this one then. Your employer probably wants you working and not surfing the Web. :D

Outrage! That's a god given right spelled in the declaration of the constitution! We fought china for our workplace freedom!