Barber 11/7

hondafan74

Doing my first track day finally this saturday at Barber. I have just a few questions that the manual doesn't quite cover. I was wondering, does anyone have a pic of what my bike is supposed to look like after it is taped up or should i just tape over everything shiney? Does painters tape stay on at track speeds or is there a special type i should be aware of?

This will be my first time at the track, so will there be a ramp where i can unload my bike off my pickup? And as i am coming to the track alone...will there be folks to help me unload it?

Does it matter if i spell out my bike numbers with electrical tape? I need the bike to return to street mode promptly at 5, so i dont want to do permanent numbers Oh, yeah i am also cheap...lol

Hate to hit you guys with the same ole questions, but dont want to flunk out and have to watch from the side lines on saturday. :)

jay956

as long as all your lights, and reflectors if you have them, are taped up youll be fine. a lot of people use painters tape, its nice because it doesnt leave residue.

although nesba guys are very nice, you should bring everything you need to the track. how will you be loading the bike on the truck if you dont have a ramp?

using electrical tape for numbers is fine, i have a few friends that have done this, as long as its legible. but you can find numbers at any bike shop or home improvement store.

have fun!

JRA

Unplug your bulbs or otherwise make sure that zero light shines through.

Welcome aboard, see you at Barber!

hondafan74

I do have a ramp, but its a skinny thing. I almost have to back my truck upto an incline to get the bike on and off. If there are two or three other people around, i can get the bike on and off with the ramp i have. I guess i am just nervous about my first time on the track and dont want to look like a newb, even though i am!

Landshark

Control Rider
Hey NOOB! What the heck? Barber for your first track are you asking for it? What are your going to do when you do another day? Barber is going to spoil you forever. Your going to turn into a track addict freak and every year come November your going to start acting all cranky because you need to return to your roots at Barber.

Ah heck I guess we junkies have enough room for one more. See ya there!

Here is pic of a bike.
http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=eventphotonow&gallery_id=1819010&image_id=28&pos=29

Signed
MR. Cranky Pants.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
There's NOTHING wrong with being a New Nesbian..you're embarking on a new adventure where you learn there's a better way..it may even save your life.

Welcome to the addiction. Kiss your savings account good bye. But, it will be worth it in every way.

There are PLENTY of us willing to help you load and unload. I know I'll have my ramp there if you wish to use one for your bike and one to walk up/down.

I try to park/camp near the Sunoco fuel station/bathroom on the 2nd Tier. I'll have the big NESBA.com logo on the back window of my F350's topper.

hondafan74

Thanks Darrin, thanks everyone! I will be in a white nissan frontier, with a red / black honda cbr with blue painters tape! Riding beginner class and happy to finally get my first track day. How many people normally show up for these things?

Mattj

Folly1

Mattj,

There will be roughly 35 in B and I and probably 25 in A.
It will seem crowded at first, but will thin out after the first several sessions. It will be cold at first and the tires will be hard.
I found Barber hard to learn. I find all tracks hard to learn, but Barber even harder. Google for some of the videos. Do a search on here for posts by JRA. He did a good right up on how to sequence the skills you need to learn: line, shifting and braking points, etc.
+10 as to LandShark's comments. Barber spoils us all. Welcome to the club.

Ben.

ERB68

hondafan74;92301 wrote: Thanks Darrin, thanks everyone! I will be in a white nissan frontier, with a red / black honda cbr with blue painters tape! Riding beginner class and happy to finally get my first track day. How many people normally show up for these things?

Mattj
If you want to make your bike look a little neater, pick up some red and black vinyl tape at the hardware store(they have wider rolls, like 2" wide). Cover your lights with the painters tape for ease of removal, then cover with the color tape to match the body work.

stkr

ERB68;92363 wrote: If you want to make your bike look a little neater, pick up some red and black vinyl tape at the hardware store(they have wider rolls, like 2" wide). Cover your lights with the painters tape for ease of removal, then cover with the color tape to match the body work.
Good lord Ed :doh: He's got enough to worry about already instead of matching the bodywork color. ;)

Welcome to the addiction :cool: You'll be fine out there. Just relax, follow the CR's, and HAVE FUN!

Here's a couple of videos for you. It'll give you an idea of the track layout. This was my first day there, and these are the first/last sessions. Beginner group will be slower than this. Well, I was pretty dam slow in session one.

Barber, 10-11-08, Intermediate, Session-1

Barber, 10-11-08, Intermediate, Session-7

hondafan74

One last question

Do i need new tires on my bike???? My tires have about 65-70% tread on them, will this pass tech inspection? Does anyone know if they have a tire changing station at the track if i wanted to change out?

Mattj

Folly1

Derek will be there to change tires, if you brought replacements for $20/rim or to sell new tires that he mounts free. You will have to remove your wheels if you want new tires installed. If you don't know how, someone in the paddock will help you, just ask.

You will probably not need new tires, though you might want to take advantage of his end of season specials.

Ben.

D-Zum

Your tires will probably be OK for the first day at the least. Barber's a track that's not tire friendly. After the first day, evaluate them. If you see them down to the wear bars, especially on the right side, consider a new set from Derek overnight for Sunday.

Like Ben said, the current end of season prices from Derek cannot be beat.

Ben, I got my Bubba Keg ready to go....See you there!

I life of motorcycles ... wind in your ear.... and noting to concentrate on except whats right in front of you. a NESBA track day could be considered a form of meditation. learn to go smooth... fast.... consistant. Then the next day your exhausted.

Benefits: good exercise and you sleep well.

hondafan74

Many Thanks

..to everyone that has posted. I think i am ready for Saturday, all i have left to do is attach the number to the front. If you see the bike in the enclosed entachment, stop by to tell me how horrible the blue tape looks! lol.

THanks Everyone!

Mattj

D-Zum

Take a razor blade and trace with it/cut around your headlights and get all the rest of that tape off your plastic. You only need the tape on your headlight glass. If you want help with that, let me know when we're here Friday night.

Don't forget to pull the fuse.