Barber Info

Hey Folks,
I'm bringing my new trailer to Barber in Aug and I'm not sure if water is available in the paddock. I'm pretty sure I'm up on the electricity issue (60 amp service on pit lane, 20 and 30 amp service on the upper levels--no adapter needed for 30 amp hook up) but not sure about water. Is water available? If not, is there a place close to the track I can fill my holding tank? Thanks in advance.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You're correct on the 60 amp on pit lane, but it's 110v/30amp/50amp service on the upper levels. No 20 amp, not even sure that it exists.

Sorry it had nothing to do with your original question at hand. LOL :)

I assumed the outlet that I normally plugged an extension cord into for my tire warmers/fan/coffee pot on the upper level was a 20 amp circuit. I've seen those circuits blow a breaker before so I just figured it was on par with a normal household outlet. Am I wrong? Is there a 30 amp female outlet on those white posts that I can plug my trailer directly into or do I need an adapter?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
griffonrider;282659 wrote: I assumed the outlet that I normally plugged an extension cord into for my tire warmers/fan/coffee pot on the upper level was a 20 amp circuit. I've seen those circuits blow a breaker before so I just figured it was on par with a normal household outlet. Am I wrong? Is there a 30 amp female outlet on those white posts that I can plug my trailer directly into or do I need an adapter?
Yes, you're correct in that they are 20 amp rated, but nobody really refers to them that way. I do understand what you're talking about.

While I am sure there are much more qualified electricial wizards on here than myself, I do know a small tid-bit. Hell, I wired my trailer for 30amp power and it hasn't burned down to the ground yet. :D So maybe this will help people in the future if they run across this thread.

Attached are two pics, one being a 20amp extension cord, and the other is a 20amp recepticle. The recepticle is different than a standard 15 amp recepticle, as you can tell by looking at the left prong with the horizontal slot in it. Now, assuming the rest of the wiring is to code and some jackass didn't replace a standard 15amp recepticle with a 20amp, you know the outlet/wiring beyond the outlet can handle 20 amps. You'll see 20 amp plugs most commonly on large power strips that have 10+ plug ins, or larger surge protectors or whatever.

So, when you go to Barber, you pay for whatever number you're at. The security people will drive by and get your power turned on. Now, you can plug into 110v (That's 20 amp rated ;) ), 30amp RV, or 50amp RV.

roy 826

griffonrider;282661 wrote: I'm so glad we got that all cleared up. Now, about the water availability in the paddock????? Yes? No? Maybe?:D

Not that I know of. I used to fill my holding tank at a rest area on I-20 but it got be a pain in the ass when sometimes they were broke or cut off. So now I just fill at the house and haul it the 265 miles. Can't tell a difference on fuel mileage.

rdecae

not sure why you really want / need water at barber. the facilities there are so nice, clean, and large I have always had an empty stall, or shower when I went in. But if as noted above it does not affect gas mileage, then it would be nice to have. As noted above (great explanation) other than the pit area fence, (60 amp) every post I have used had all three connections, 110v (what you called 20amp) 30amp and 50amp. I have a 60 amp male plug to 50amp female pigtail just for barber. At least in my limited travels, i have never seen 60amp service anywhere else.

rdecae

not sure if you have been to barber (I am assuming you have) but just in case, these are my notes from my last event

Barber gates are open until 9pm on Friday and 6pm on Saturday and Sunday
Barber is locked/gated. You can park and spend the night there; however there are no restrooms available.
There are two gas stations at this exit. One is a very nice Chevron, however I cannot remember the name of the other one. Both seem to have gas, ice, and snacks.
There is a subway next to the second gas station.
There is also a Hampton Inn off this exit. I was able to park in the Motel lot and sleep the night in my trailer, and no one hassled me. I was able to use the “lobby” restroom and again no one stopped me. However I just used it once at night and once in the morning. I did not abuse the privilege.
There is also an America’s Best Value Inn behind the subway.
If you prefer more options, stay at exit 144. There is a Wal-Mart, many food options etc. Only a 10 minute ride to the track.

There are many RV parking spaces. I would guess around 100 spaces. They all seem to have connection for two (2) 110, One 30amp and one 50 amp connection. If you park next to the chain link fence on the pit in side, there are 60amp connections. Very few people have 60 amp connections so these are usually available. Barber charges 25.00 per day for power.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
rdecae;282796 wrote: not sure why you really want / need water at barber.
I don't even have a toy hauler (yet), but it would be priceless to roll out of bed and having your own shitter to yourself.

Toddgotfish

Control Rider
There are two water outlets on each side of the lower main building. Each has a retractable hose. If power is not working when you get there it is because they shut a lot of those off after an event, get with one of the staff, they will get it turned on for you.there are restrooms on all 3 paddock levels, as well as showers on tier 1 and 2.concession stand is open for breakfast and lunch.

roy 826

Otto Man;282800 wrote: I don't even have a toy hauler (yet), but it would be priceless to roll out of bed and having your own shitter to yourself.
That part is nice. On the other hand my wife suffers from a rare allergic reaction to everyday items which all seem to contain a substance called Q-15. She cannot come in contact with it and it is all over the shower stalls and public restrooms. The residual is is what gets her. So she takes all her showers and what not in the toy hauler so I always enter the tracks with a full fresh water tank and it'll last her the weekend being conservative. Me I just use the facilities at the track. She is not allergic to me, yet.:doh:

sheepofblue

Last year I forgot to fill the motorhome and was searching for water. Outlets are few and had the handles removed. This might have changed but I would plan on no water.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thanks for all the info folks. I just got the official word from Barber.

Mike,

Hey Mike this is Michael Gay with ZOOM Motorsports and the Barber Motorsports Park. I apologize about the delay in getting your questions answered. I have been working an event for the past week here at the track and I have had limited time to check and respond to e-mails.

To answer your questions, power would be $25/day regardless of whether you are camping or not. The camping fee would be $25/day as well. If you wanted to camp and have power it would be $50/day (for both camping and power).

We do have access points for 30amp on the upper levels so no adapters will be needed if you are camping in these areas of the paddock.

We do not have any water filling stations on site so we would not be able to provide these services.

I hope this helps answer your questions, Mike. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask and I’ll be happy to help. I look forward to seeing you during the NESBA weekend!

Sincerely,

Michael Gay

Event Manager

ZOOM Motorsports | Birmingham, AL

O – 205-967-4745 Ext 156 (Main)

M – 865-803-7047

F – 205-967-9940

www.brunoeventteam.com

rdecae;282796 wrote: not sure why you really want / need water at barber. the facilities there are so nice, clean, and large I have always had an empty stall, or shower when I went in. But if as noted above it does not affect gas mileage, then it would be nice to have. As noted above (great explanation) other than the pit area fence, (60 amp) every post I have used had all three connections, 110v (what you called 20amp) 30amp and 50amp. I have a 60 amp male plug to 50amp female pigtail just for barber. At least in my limited travels, i have never seen 60amp service anywhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdecae View Post
not sure why you really want / need water at barber.

I don't even have a toy hauler (yet), but it would be priceless to roll out of bed and having your own shitter to yourself.

Otto Man hit the proverbial nail right on the head!!!! The desire to have water in the toy hauler is directly proportional to keeping my better half content. Especially when she is with me at a race track. Roughing it for Anna is no room service after midnight. I can't imagine the tongue lashing I would have to endure if she had to walk across the parking lot to the public restroom (no matter how nice and clean it is) in the middle of the night. So, with all that said, I'll be hauling 50 gallons of water from Nashville to Birmingham. Let's see, 50 gal multiplied by 8lbs per---400lbs of water sloshing around and wasting precious diesel fuel. What the hell, it's only money right? Hope to see all you fine folks there. :D

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
From what I've been reading online and talking with guys at the track, it looks like guys really don't notice any difference in MPG, towing with empty tanks or full tanks. If it's anything like my enclosed trailer, speed is the ultimate MPG killer.

Towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer behind a Toyota Tundra, I get the same exact same [crappy] highway MPG whether it's empty (~2800 lbs) or with a moderate load (trailer plus ~3000 lbs cargo). I can't imagine adding a full load of water to an RV would have any affect on the towing fuel efficiency.

I was hoping to make the upcoming Barber trip but I'm still recovering from [another] shoulder surgery so it looks like I'll have to wait until later in the year. Hope you guys have a great time.

roy 826

Gallon of water weighs 8.83 lbs. one thing to consider is the weight of water reduces your haulers load capacity. That really is the only negative. It has not been proven to consume more fuel due to added water weight on board. It could cause you to exceed your toy haulers load capacity if your not careful or if your haulers load capacity is low. Luckily mine is around 2400 lbs so I'm good with full load of water and all my track stuff with a few 100 to spare.

I do not notice any more fuel consumption with water tank full or empty. However I do drop it once at the place to flush out the black and grey tanks on the way home from a weekend.

My trailer weighs 7200 empty. It started out at 5500 before the generator and all the other options the original owner had installed at the factory. The GVRW is 10,000. That leaves me 2800 to spare. I'm bringing both bikes, fuel, easy ups, food, and gear. I'm hauling it with an F350 / 7.3 Turbo Diesel. I pulled the exact same load minus water to RA in July and it was fine. It went up an over Sewanee Mountain without a hick up. From what I'm gathering from you folks, I can fill the fresh water tank (100 gallons) and still have approximately 1900lbs in gear before I'm overloaded and the MPG difference will be negligible. I was only planning to fill the fresh water tank half way because we will only be using it for late night bathroom needs. We will use the track showers and restrooms during the day. All cooking water and coffee pot water will be bottled. Thanks again for all your help. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. Look for us on the 3rd level, close to the showers.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Load that bitch up to the hilt and go! The 7.3 is legendary. Your truck would pull 10k hardly noticing it.

Otto Man;283227 wrote: Load that bitch up to the hilt and go! The 7.3 is legendary. Your truck would pull 10k hardly noticing it.
Yep, she's a hoss alright. Nobody can accuse me of doing anything half assed. :D When I do good, it's great. When I do bad, it's a !@#$%^&* disaster.