Barber Motor Park

rzguytexas

Having a set of track days in August at Barber. NESBA group was great at Putnam last October so looking for suggestions. Riding in beginner group, safer for me for a while. Just can not step up to intermediate. Want to be as safe as I can but where and what do I need to be cautious of. Riding a restored RZ 500. Too expensive to fall over. Running FZ 600 forks, Michelin Pilot Power's, bike around 400 lbs and me and gear around 175 pounds. Any corners need to watch out for such as unexpected off camber turns? Where will I need to watch for that unexpected rider running wide? Any areas better for passing or braking? Should bike be set up firm or soft? Did some parade laps at Vintage Festival in fall and rode with camera in one hand and just used throttle and brakes, incredibly smooth track. Please any help would be appreciated. :dunno:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NickMcCoy

There is all kinds of camber and elevation changes which is why it's so fun. If you're not going to be pushing hard I would not worry about that kind of stuff, just enjoy the track. If you're worried about the bike maybe get some more track-oriented tires, those aren't bad but they're not ideal.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Damn, sweet ride. Sold my RZ500 last year...already having regrets. Don't know as I would ride it on the track, though. Mine would hit at 7000 rpm and it was wicked when it happened, especially if cranked over in a turn. Found I had to keep away from the "pipes" by either staying high in the revs or low to avoid the problem.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Mine was all stock, so it still had the 16" front rims and 18" rear (as best I can recall). I ran Metzler comp K bias ply tires, but as I said, I didn't track mine (Did take it down the BRP a couple of times)

rzguytexas

Thanks. Ran Texas World 3 separate times and last outing in one session caught 11 of 20 or so bikes in 5 laps. beginner group. The liter guys as well as the instructors are usually impressed with its performance. Pulls from around 7,200 to around 9,500 or a little more. It is the quickness in changing directions and the brakes that lets it shine.

New set up as cash allows.

Swodi

T1 you can make up some time by taking a wide exit. Coming up the hill out of T3 I like to aim for the tower, YMMV.

T5 can bite you, but usually at low speed. Unless you get a little throttle-happy on the exit, then you could easily go for a ride.

T10 bit me last time with a lowside. I have absolutely no idea what happened. I like to blame everything but myself so I say I hit a seam on the track that was a little moist. ;)

T12-14...I still can't figure that crap out. Good luck.

gvstone

Excactly!!

:agree: What he said!! And?? Turn 2 is long enough to settle into and have a wonderful time.....:rolleyes:

arhale09

Barber is just a ridiculously fun track, imo. I wish I knew all the corner numbers but I don't, so I'll just describe them: It seems like the line going into Museum corner has most guys running over the curbing on the stretch before, and you want to have your braking done before you hit that curb. Also, the blind entry left on the back section gives lots of guys fits, so don't be upset if you don't get it sorted. It's a challenging track, but lots of fun, and a place where a smaller bike can go pretty well. Enjoy it, and if you have some time, the museum is pretty cool as well.