Barber Ups and Downs

stow

Saturday was awesome. I finally got the bike to handle right with the new geometry changes and I was finally able to start working on getting up to speed. Dave Pullen and Chad Dupree helped me out with some issues on the track. And with the bike handling correctly and a few tips from Dave and Chad, I managed to get down in to 1:42 lap times. Not very fast but a huge difference since I was working my ass off and only running 1:46 at the last event at Barber.

Sunday was not so great. I got taken out in the very first session in turn 11. Turn 11 is the right hand portion of the chicane after the museum turn. A rider came up the inside of me and took out the front of my bike. I saw him coming when I initiated the turn from 10 to 11 and had to roll off the throttle and widen my line in to 11 in order to keep from colliding just before the apex of 11, but unfortunately the rider was unable to stay on the gas and slowed down too much and drifted over in to the front of my bike. The result was the nastiest crash that I have ever experienced. I cartwheeled for what seemed like forever. With each and every impact I knew the result was not going to be good. I didn't even think about the bike when I came to a stop, I just wanted to get to a safe spot and lay down. I thanked God and continue to thank God for allowing me to walk away from this wreck. Even though my right hand and shoulder are killing me I just can't believe I didn't sustain any serious injuries especially since my head and neck took a good beating with each tumble.

And here are the results.

crash_r6_1.jpg

crash_r6_2.jpg

Busted up fairings (sorry Drew the paint looked so good)
Ruptured fuel tank (luckily it didn't go up in flames)
Broken clipon
Busted windsreen
Broken clutch lever
Dented swingarm
Broken fairing stay
Possibly tweaked forks and triples
Destroyed Arai RX-7 Edwards replica helmet
And damage to my leathers, boots, and gloves

Not a good end to what was a frustrating season coming back to the track on a new bike.

I would like to thank Brian and DJ. They handled the situation immediately and professionally.

I did not post this to call out the other rider. He apologized and I believe he was very sincere. The only problem is the apology doesn't fix my bike, my pain, or my mental state about riding. This is the first time I wrecked due to someone else colliding with my bike. All of my other crashes have been due to my own error and I have made a point to not let that happen again. So the wreck has been pretty devastating because of the severity of the crash and the fact that I was not at fault in any way. I could have easily been taken from my wife and 1 year old son due to someone else making a bad decision.

Needless to say the incident is not sitting well with me right now.

Shane

Stall

Nice to see that ur alright. I saw ya there jus layin down lap after lap an was wonderin if u were ok.. Good luck on the rebuild.

jimgl3

SHANE!!!Say it ain't so!

did you have to go to the ER? having gone w/ Bryan in Sept. I know that is no fun and I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but he can tell you about the bill at UAB!

God bless you and your family.

stow

jimgl3;26057 wrote: SHANE!!!Say it ain't so!

did you have to go to the ER? having gone w/ Bryan in Sept. I know that is no fun and I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but he can tell you about the bill at UAB!

God bless you and your family.
I didn't go to the ER. Luckily my wife came prepared with some good medication. I hate the ER, so I waited until I got home and went to Resurgens Orthopaedics today. No broken bones other than a fracture on my right pinky, but it is still swollen very badly. My right shoulder is the worst though. It isn't broken, but I can just barely move it. I got a cortisone shot today and will go back in 2 weeks for a recheck and see if I need an MRI. Hopefully it is just badly sprained and not a rotator cuff tear.

headstart

Glad to hear you are doing ok. I was the guy on the crash truck with you when they picked you up and brought us back in. I figured you were still just feeling the adrenaline because you were moving around better than I thought you would be after seeing them load up your bike.

Mr. Blindrider

Sorry about the mishap you had with another rider. I came through right after you stopped crashing. I know it doesn't help much but atleast he did apologize and hopefully will learn from it. I know it must be terrible to go out this way. Heal up phisically and mentally and get that bike back together.

I seen you a few times Saturday rolling pretty good but didn't know you were Stow.

smack28752

Shane,

Sorry to hear about the bad luck but I am glad you are doing OK, all things considered. Body & bike will heal with time (and $$). Events like this sure put things in perspective. We are thankful that the higher power had an eye out for you and your family...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from one of the "Marion Chili Gang" members.

JBallz

Really sorry to hear it! I was pitted next to you on Saturday on the "americana paint scheme" R6.

I know what you mean about feeling lucky. I have had two off's this year and walked away with zero injuries. Glad to hear you are ok. I am sure your wife and daughter (?) were relieved.

good luck

Booty Freak

I think this is a risk we all take riding track days. I've got
one school & three tracks days under my belt which makes me a fairly new
to this activity. But if there is one thing I have noticed is you will always have
riders who think they are getting a trophy after every session. It is not a race
& for the life of me I wonder why some of these riders treat each session like a
race. I try to spot these guys fairly quickly to make sure I keep a safe distance
from them. It amazes me that you can have miles of track to use & you always
see groups of riders sticking close together like their racing. Personally I try to
ride with a little humility with hopes of going home in one piece. For the most
part none of us want to crash or cause others to crash. It's just a evil that we
must deal with while riding sportbikes on the track.

Get well & Ride Again !!

Meat

Shane, it was great to see you out there sorting your bike and the track out. I felt so bad when I looked over and saw your bike trashed. I am really glad that you are OK for the most part and hopefully the mental side will work itself out for the better.

Track days keeps me sane. I hope to see you out there next season (I may have moved to another part of the country by then).

Rick Johnson

Sorry to hear about your crash.Hope you heal soon and good luck getting the bike fixed.You would think an A rider would have more control of his bike than to take you out like that.Come on guys! It's a trackday leave some space for error!Everybody wants to have fun and go home in one piece.CCS and Wera are the place for wheel to wheel action!!

stow

otistillman;26158 wrote: Hey Shane,

Dre here. I'm really sorry you're weekend turned out like that. Let me know if you need anything. I'm here.
Thanks Dre (aka Ottis), as always you are a class act. By the way if you talk to Hugh (SP?) can you get an idea of what he saw during the wreck; I believe he wasn't far behind me. Not really looking for more information on the cause but trying to get an idea of how bad I actually tumbled and how the bike tumbled.

Take care and see you at the track.

Shane

stow

Meat;26111 wrote: Shane, it was great to see you out there sorting your bike and the track out. I felt so bad when I looked over and saw your bike trashed. I am really glad that you are OK for the most part and hopefully the mental side will work itself out for the better.

Track days keeps me sane. I hope to see you out there next season (I may have moved to another part of the country by then).
I will see you next season for sure. Let me know if you move to a different region.

stow

Thanks for all of the kind words. Dave Pullen has been and continues to be a big help, so I am sure we will get the bike back together after my shoulder heals. Besides I need to wait until some more people thrash their 08/09 R6 streetbikes so that I can get some parts off of Ebay.

Moving on and looking forward to next year.

Shane

smokediver576

dpullen;26197 wrote: Yep, no worries, we'll get her back together and better than ever for next season!
Hummmmmm, Do I hear a "special" winter fairing project?????

You know, just drop those off, leave them with me for a little while.....

Awall

stow

smokediver576;26208 wrote: Hummmmmm, Do I hear a "special" winter faring project?????

You know, just drop those off, leave them with me for a little while.....

Awall
I have seen your work, and although you are damn good a repairing bodywork the resulting paint scheme and decals have me a little concerned.

I am not comfortable enough with my manhood to ride around on a pink My-Size-Barber R6. Now if I could ride like Derek, I would do it just for the hell of it. Just imagine the shame of getting passed by a pink Barber bike while it is wheeling up the hill out of turn 6 at Barber. :haha:

dpullen

Pshaw...Andrew would never do something that obvious. And he certainly wouldn't warn you about it if he was going to do it... ;)