Barber Video

ride_hard

Hey guys. I got a new laptop this week and I can finally watch and edit all of the video from last year I got with the GoPro. Here's the video I made up for Barber. It was my first time there and I crashed early in the day being less than cautious. Here I'm still tiptoeing in some portions of the track, and the stock gearing on my bike was less than optimal, but I had a great time. This was the day before I got my A bump too. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDkesj3Nx0

unclepaulie

That's the first GoPro video I have seen where things didn't look like they were a million miles away. I guess that horrible view is from the wide angle lens or something? Can you tell me what exactly it is that you used in that vid? That was a good picture that looked more real. Really enjoyed it.

ride_hard

Well I'm not a video guru really, but I'll give it my best shot. I used my GoPro HERO recording the highest resolution 1080p 30fps. The file format on those files is .mp4. My MacBook Pro came with a program called iMovie. A simple video editing software with the basics IMO. When I imported the the raw footage I believe the format was changed to .mov with the same resolution and codecs. I shortened the clip time up and added in the pictures I took with my regular point and shoot camera at the beginning. Then I exported the file as a HD 720 .mov file format using the same codecs as original (H.264 30fps). I figured the HD 1080 format was too large for sharing on youtube. As it is I spent about 3 hours exporting and uploading the file ~720Mb file. I'm not sure if you are comparing the standard wide angle video to the HD video, or if converting the file formats changed the video quality. I did just notice that in 720p the camera has the option for 60fps. I will try this setting this summer and compare the different frame rates.

fitz

ride_hard;172141 wrote: I did just notice that in 720p the camera has the option for 60fps. I will try this setting this summer and compare the different frame rates.
At 1080p you will have a 127 degree field of view, while at the other settings you will have a 170 degree field of view.

I personally prefer the 1080p, looks great on the current LCD TVs with no real noticable difference in frame rate, plus I prefer the field of view.

I've uploaded 1080p videos on youtube, although a little better than 720p, it's not worth the time it takes to upload. Better just to edit then encode it down to 720p.

fitz

geekmug

ride_hard;172141 wrote: I did just notice that in 720p the camera has the option for 60fps. I will try this setting this summer and compare the different frame rates.
I run my camera exclusively in 720p@60fps mode. For one, it helps make the picture clearer with all the constant vibration that a camera on a motorcycle experiences. The other reason is that 1/30th of a second is actually a long time if you are trying to capture what happened during a crash or any other reason you want to slow it down to analyze yourself. However, youtube only supports 30fps, so any 60fps video will not be as awesome once it's uploaded there.

unclepaulie;172129 wrote:
That's the first GoPro video I have seen where things didn't look like they were a million miles away. I guess that horrible view is from the wide angle lens or something?
The field of view in 1080p mode is 127 degrees, but it's 170 degrees in the other modes (and on the old wide-angle SD GoPro as well), so that's why it probably doesn't look like other GoPro videos you have seen. There is no single answer to what field of view is "natural." Obviously if you fullscreen a wider-angle image on your monitor, then you are cramming more field of view into the same space, so it appears unnatural. Most TV and film work use much less field of view (say, 45 degrees), so any GoPro video will seem fishy compared to that "normal." The wide-angle looks pretty normal to me, at this point.

ride_hard

If you're having problems with your GoPro vibrating/bouncing put a piece of electrical tape in between the mounts. After a day or two the plastic works itself and becomes loose. A piece of tape takes up the new space and it's solid again.