Bazzaz Quickshifter Issue

NegativeCamber

Bob
Control Rider
So I'm half way though my first race at Road Atlanta and my quickshifter fails on me. Of course this happens on the back straight, so I got passed... it didn't work for the rest of the day. I noticed during practice that morning that it was having intermittent issues. On the last lap of one practice it didn't work, but it worked the practice after that...

I did a little research, and someone said that Bazzaz told them it might be an overheating issue. So I tested it in my neighborhood and it worked fine, was able to shift 1-6 all under 30mph. I called Bazzaz today, and they said that overheating was highly unlikely. They told me to run a diagnostic test on it using their software and run through all the gears and Neutral. Everything checked out fine.

I also noticed that there was a little more chain lube being flung around that area than normal. Could that be an issue? Right now I'm planning on wrapping it in aluminum tape to insulate and protect it from any fluids getting into it...

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dickie

Control Rider
I've had multiple issues with my bazzaz QS systems. Here's what I've seen.
1. The shifter module took a dump on you
2. the shifter isn't getting enough of a push/pull to know a shift is being initiated, so you can move your linkage around and adjust the rod length accordingly
3. The plug came loose going into the Bazzaz box
4. You may have a short in the wires between the QS and the box

NegativeCamber

Bob
Control Rider
Thanks Dickie. Haven't considered that there could be a short. I'll definitely investigate that and double check all the connections. Thanks!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Fairly certain the electrical gremlin decided to jump from my toy hauler to your bike...now you get to deal with him. Hope you get it figured out!

USMC_10

I had problems with my quick shifter as well....sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. Most frustrating thing ever. After several calls and months of troubleshooting Bazzaz finally agreed to take back the control unit (not the quick shifter itself). After running tests at their shop, they confirmed the unit was bad. They subsequently shipped me a replacement unit under warranty. They never did say what exactly was wrong with it (I asked).

Easiest way to determine if your quick shifter failed, or if like mine, the actual control unit is the problem, is to put the bike on stands, and run through the gears. If your quick shifter light illuminates on each shift then that device is most likely working properly and the problem resides with the control unit itself. Of course check your wiring harness to ensure all connections are properly seated first. If you notice the quick shifter is not lighting up on one or more occasions, the problem could be either the quick shifter itself, OR, still the control unit in that it's not powering the quick shifter properly.

Bazzaz did away with the push/pull type quick shifters and now make a new universal device that cuts ignition both ways (upshift and downshift). Best part is no more screwing around with swapping parts for those changing from standard to GP shifting.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Sounds like they went to the same set up Annitori has been using for awhile. About time they caught up with the competition. :D