Beaverun 8/14 8/15 Events

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Kneescraper,

If those are your WERA times at race pace, figure you'll be 1-2s off when doing a track pace. You'd be at the upper end of the I group pace and there's always something to learn.

The Sunday I-group will not be terribly crowded and you don't have to run your fastest times to learn anyway. But you will have to observe the passing rules for that group (no inside passing, etc.)

Thanks,

Rob ..

buck34

KneeScraper;145521 wrote: So here is my question. What skill level are the SED's geared toward?? I am certainly not above having someone teach me to better myself, but are the people who show up to do the SED's running 1:12's around BeaveRun??

I just don't want to show up at BeaveRun for this SED and not learn anything or be told to run 1:12's around the track. Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to take a SED course that is geared toward my current skill level.
The SED events are geared towards everyone, with wide ranges of skill levels, from a rider running the slowest pace in beginner, to a rider running a competitive advanced pace in the intermediate group.

So I guess to answer your question, yes, there will be riders running 1:12's and for that matter slower than that. You didn't mention what group you ride in, but based on the pace you said you were running I am to assume your a Intermediate rider. If that is the case, your SED event would be Sunday where riders will be running times from 04's to perhaps some riders running 12's or slower for what ever reason, such as never having been to Beaverun before, or perhaps riding a few seconds slower to work on certain areas that they are having problems in. The idea behind the SED Events is just what the acronym stands for "Skill Enhancement Day". A day to work on skills that will inevitably get them to the next level.

No CR at a NESBA event will ever tell a member to ride slower than they're capable of. If a rider is following the rules of the group, and not posing a danger to themselves or other riders on the track, there is no reason to tell a member ride slower than they are safely able to. For that matter, there are many times you'll find CRs playing around at an SED event running very quick advanced times in the beginner groups, all the while following the rules.

Hope to see you there!

KneeScraper

I appreciate the info from you both, Buck and Rob.

I have run advanced group with all of the following track day orgs. SBTT, Absolute, Apex2Apex, Tony's Track Days, TPM, a few other orgs that I can't remember right now, as I rode with 7 different track day orgs last year alone, and I am currently a track coach with Roger Lyle's MotorcycleXcitement.

Because of my work schedule, I only get a few weekends off each year, and therefore, I have never had the oppurtunity to ride with NESBA. I happen to be on vacation until Monday. Now I have the oppurtunity to ride with NESBA, but I continue to be confused by their groups.

Here is what really gets me.

Most people I talk to tell me that I will have to start out in the B group in NESBA before I can bumped to I, and that usually takes a track day or two. I have been told by many NESBA members that my track experience does not matter and that I will have to start out in B. From what you guys are saying here in the last few posts, I should be in the I group, so I guess that I will not have to start out in the B group. But here is what is really puzzling to me. I know that a 1:03 or a 1:02 lap time at BeaveRun would place a Novice racer on the podium in a WERA race. Just what kind of lap times do NESBA A riders run?? I have no problem holding a line or changing a line mid-turn to avoid another rider, and have no problem riding within inches of another rider mid-turn.

I'm just a bit stumped. With every other track day org I have run with, I am near to the front of the pack to one of the faster guys in the A group. I just returned from the VIR Cycle Jam with a 1st place in B SuperBike Novice, a 2nd in C Superbike Novice, (Both WERA National Races on Sunday) and a 2nd in MW SR SB (Regional WERA race on Saturday). Is it just that NESBA will not tell anyone at all that they are probably an A rider without watching them ride first??

I'll probably sign up for one or the other days this weekend. It is just so puzzling to me that NESBA considers their riders to be so much better that they always tell everyone to bump down a class when compared to other orgs.

Please let me reiterate, I know I have a lot more to learn and I know there are a lot of racers and riders who are faster than I am, but why does NESBA seem so tight with bumping up?? If I do show up this weekend, I hope to learn a lot. This is just my line of thinking. Your thoughts?

KneeScraper

avizpls;145569 wrote: Sounds like you ride flat-out. :popcorn:

No. That is not the direction I wanted this thread to go. It's just that for me to take a whole day at the Beave, drive down and back, pay all that money, and then be in a group that is too slow is not what I am looking for.

Like I said several times above, I know I have a lot to learn, and I know I am certainly not the fastest guy by a long shot, but I have never seen any I group rider in any other track day org that runs at anything close to the pace that I run.

I just don't want to pay all that money and be stuck in a group that is significantly slower than what I like to run. That is all. Keep in mind, I posted up my times from three tracks. There are plenty of guys who run faster than I do, but I have never seen anyone in any I group run my times. It's my money and time, I just want to make sure if I do go, I will be in the right place.

I'm not being a smart a$$, just stating how I feel.

slowpoke

Kneescraper -

You can sign up directly into the 'I' group if you have never ridden with NESBA before. There is not an "A" group SED so there will not be an 'A' group at Beave this weekend. All riders need to be bumped to "A" by a CR unless they have an expert race license.

Hope that helps and, yes, NESBA's 'A' group likes to run flat-out:D

buck34

KneeScraper;145568 wrote:
Here is what really gets me.

Most people I talk to tell me that I will have to start out in the B group in NESBA before I can bumped to I, and that usually takes a track day or two. I have been told by many NESBA members that my track experience does not matter and that I will have to start out in B. From what you guys are saying here in the last few posts, I should be in the I group, so I guess that I will not have to start out in the B group. But here is what is really puzzling to me. I know that a 1:03 or a 1:02 lap time at BeaveRun would place a Novice racer on the podium in a WERA race. Just what kind of lap times do NESBA A riders run?? I have no problem holding a line or changing a line mid-turn to avoid another rider, and have no problem riding within inches of another rider mid-turn.
If you were told that you have to start out in B group, that is incorrect. Based on a riders experience we ask that they sign up in an appropriate group, either B or I. The only way to go right to Advanced group is to have a current Expert license.

Also, there have been many occasions where a rider signs up in B, and by lunch they are getting bumped to I.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
If you're looking for race practice, then go to a race practice.
It shouldn't matter what group you start in. Turning quick laps while making clean passes and obeying the rules in B will get you noticed quite quickly.
Getting into 'A' is much more than just running a certain laptime. There are people in 'I' that are mid-pack 'A' speed-wise, but are repeat rules offenders. Heck, I know guys in 'I' that turned down the bump to A to ride with friends.

That being said, a SED is a much different than regular track day. You should sign up for the I day. The group is the same size as a regular track day, but there's no sessions so getting stuck behind a "conga-line" rarely, if ever, happens. It's way easier to get some one-on-one CR time, and you can go out for 5 minutes or 2 hours. The best thing about SEDs is the opportunity for testing bike settings. Make changes and come and go at will. (sigh) Wish they'd let A-groupers in.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
First time at the Beave in 2003 I ran a best of 1:12 in B group.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
KneeScraper;145568 wrote: Just what kind of lap times do NESBA A riders run??
Nesba classes typically run a little faster than most other orgs. Most of the A guys at BeaveRun are between :59-1:04. The only problem you might have is if you've already signed up as a member and selected the Beginner group. If you haven't, you can sign up in the Intermediate group directly. This seems to be the logical group for you to ride.

rk97

KneeScraper - based on the lap times you posted, it sounds as though you'll be running near the front of "I" group; possibly even the fastest rider there, it just depends on who shows up. But because of the format, the SED typically has fewer people on track than normal.

I highly doubt you'll be prevented from lapping in the 1:04's or faster. The morning will be a "get loose" session, and there probably will be people circulating in the 1:12 range if they're learning the track. don't freak out. it will get better.

but after lunch, I'd suggest waiting 20 minutes to go out. Let everyone else blitz the track at 1:00, and go out as soon as you see people starting to come in. If you ride while half the group is resting, you get more clear track.

and I'm sure Buck would be happy to demonstrate what a 1:00 lap looks like through "I" traffic if you egg him on enough!

rk97

hahaha - true. I think control riders secretly relish the "i'm getting stuck in traffic" complaint, because it gives them an excuse to turn a few fast laps just to prove a point :D

a TPM coach showed up registered in "B" group when I was at BeaveRun once (riding with NESBA). He was doing 1:04's through "B" traffic by the second session of the day. Nice guy. I was pitted next to him and he said, "well people told me NESBA was faster, and I haven't been to this track in like 4 years... I figured it would be the safest decision."

fjbastone

beginner sed...?

I saw the details of the 'I' group sed track day.
Do they follow the same modified schedule for the beginner group?

buck34

fjbastone;145946 wrote: I saw the details of the 'I' group sed track day.
Do they follow the same modified schedule for the beginner group?
Yes, all SED events are structured the same.

Hope to see you there!

Jeff H

ninjamansc;145580 wrote: The best thing about SEDs is the opportunity for testing bike settings. Make changes and come and go at will. (sigh) Wish they'd let A-groupers in.

:agree:
If "I" is not full it would be nice if they would offer it to A riders.....I know I still have alot to learn.....