Ben Spies is Retiring

depredador1198s

Official Press Release

This guy dethrones Mat Mladin convincingly in the US AMA series. Then he goes global and wins the World Superbike Championship in his first year . . . on completely new tracks. To finally have his career end like this? Really sad . . .

I hope that this really isn't the end and that he gets the chance to bounce back to his old self.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
He's just been too beat up since going to MotoGP and his body's not recovering.

Too bad, because he's a hell of a racer.

I saw some of his first early professional racing with Team Hammer when he was 16 at Pocono (FUSA) and I saw his last laps right before his crash at Indy this year.

He's still very young, so I hope the rest of his future is filled with further successes.

jimgl3

yep. after Mladin was quoted as having said, " the best rider of our time, or not far behind Rossi himself" not much else to say.

Mladin reminds me of R. Lee Emory in Full Metal Jacket. Constantly hurling insults about Spies Mom, his manhood, whatever he can find to keep him motivated and on top of his game.

BZ

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Bubba Zanetti;293032 wrote: Mladin reminds me of R. Lee Emory in Full Metal Jacket. Constantly hurling insults about Spies Mom, his manhood, whatever he can find to keep him motivated and on top of his game.

BZ
That's what we do to you..and look...you got your bump this year. :D

Ruhe52

Hey I want to correct or explain my comments here.

Spies is no doubt a very talented brave rider. He is clearly injured and shoulders are tricky two crazy to have to deal with. I agree with Matt only in so much as GP guys are warrior. Ride to a first or podium with 2 broker ankles. Broken ribs bust collar bones. For someone to pull up over injury just doesn't seem in the class. Wish him the best.

I retract no comment made about Ducati :D

noobinacan

Sorta sucks...I think there's a lot of background politics involved which only his close friends and family know about.
and comes a tipping point, where personal life and peace of mind > money offered.
Exactly why stoner said 'screw this' and left.