Best day value--Is Barber worth it?

Ray k

What is the best track day value? At one end Barber is $250 per day or $410 for the weekend, while Brainerd is only $65 per day or $130 for the weekend.

Always subject to change I suppose.

Is Barber worth the cost? I was there a couple of years ago with NESBA, and it was fantastic. Barber has the best facilities in the country and the best museum in the world as far as I am concerned, yet 400 bucks is a lot of money. Since the Barber dates are a bit more costly is the track a bit less crowded? Since the Brainerd dates are less expensive is the track going to be packed with 200 bikes all at once just to try to make the date a paying proposition?

My guess is that neither of the above is true and that NESBA tries to fill spots on the track based on the length of the track rather than the cost. Since Barber costs more for track rental we pay a bit more? I’m trying to decide where to spend my track day dollars for 2009 and the obvious choice is Putnam Park, because it is close to where I live, but Barber is always calling to me like a lost love that I just can’t forget about.

I guess my top criteria for value in a track day is that the track is not crowded. I’d pay more if I knew that there would only be twenty bikes on the track at one time rather than forty. My next value consideration would be quality control riders, with facilities at the bottom of my list. Location does not really matter to me since I have free gas. (Which is a good thing since Brainerd is 700 miles each way from where I live.—St. Louis, MO).

Which events do you think are the best value and why?

LesPow

Control Rider
Alls I's gotta say is Barber was a blast and a must do. Hopefully in 09, the all A day will be packed so it wont get cancelled. I'll spend next year mostly riding NJMP, Summit WV, Beaver, VIR once or twice and Barber end of year. Best value...smile on my face!!

chikn munky

I've only been to Barber twice. The first time was in April and there was a pretty good turnout but never seemed crowded. The second time was in August and I was really suprised at how few people were there. Probably less than 50 bikes .Lots of open track!
The pricing then was $205 a day and if you signed up for 2 days you get $15 discount.
+1 on the museum being the best! Went both times and there were quite a few different bikes the second time.

Meat

I think Barber is a must do once a year if you can. It ends up being the track that I am at the most because of the timing of track days and the lack of paved paddocks at some of the other tracks in the SouthEast.

I really love Hallett in Jennings, OK, if you are looking for a cheap track that is within 700 mi of St Louis. It is 431 miles away according to Google. I am not sure what NESBA charges there but I used to ride there a good bit and I think it is right around $100/day (through the track-run track day). They have some days that are $80 as well. They also used to have free covered paddocks for most people (1st come 1st serve), but the circut breakers blow all the time if you need to run tire warmers.

jimgl3

I'm no mathematician but Barber is 205 or 395 dude! and I can't imagine life w/o Barber! but don't do the last weekend of the year there (November) if you don't like a crowd... whew! it was packed!

jpj

Value in a track day? All the tracks I've been to, it would be hard to estimate or assign a value. I've been to Barber and yes it is great. It is fast flowing, smooth, nice elevation changes,and WIDE. It should be on everybodys "to do list" at least once. Then you can decide.:agree:

dlockhart5x

Ray k;29070 wrote: What is the best track day value?
I guess my top criteria for value in a track day is that the track is not crowded. I live.—St. Louis, MO).

Which events do you think are the best value and why?

Check out the Mid Central section of the beeb, we are a small but dedicated bunch.

As for value.
HPT This is my #1 favorite track to ride, Barber is 2nd.

If you want to make the trip to Michigan, Gingerman and Grattan are great tracks and often priced very low.

Grattan may be the most challenging track to ride in the Nesba catalog.

Ray k

Crowded

jimgl3;29144 wrote: I'm no mathematician but Barber is 205 or 395 dude! and I can't imagine life w/o Barber! but don't do the last weekend of the year there (November) if you don't like a crowd... whew! it was packed!
You caught me. I meant to type $205, but my fingers typed $250... When I was at Barber a couple of years ago it was packed as well--especially the novice and intermediate groups in the morning. Has everyone else had this experience at Barber? I still had a great time, and if I do go back to Barber I may sit out the morning sessions both days and hang at the museum if it is as crowded and nutty on the track I remember. I don't recall if I was there in November.

RCM78

Is it worth the money? Thats a definite yes. I'm a coach for another track club so I can ride for free. But once a year me and a few buddies make the long drive down to barber. We've done it four years in a row now and are planning to go next season too.

Im my limited experience I dont think NESBA overcrowds the track. It's typical for any trackday to have bunching in the morning sessions. It usually takes three sessions for everything to sort itself out.

jimgl3

actually if you check the posts over the last couple of years, Barber is usually less crowded.

Nov was the last nesba weekend of the year this year and it was pretty well packed, but that is unusual and also partly due to the incredible weather also

Meat

I have only been there 4 weekends. Only the last one of the year, Nov 8-9, was crowded. Maybe it was so many new people to the track, from other parts of the country, but all groups were pandemonium on the Nov 8-9.

Every other time I have been to Barber, it has been great. Not over crowded and had no problems passing and riding at whatever pace my abilities allowed me.

Barber really is a must do each year if you can make it.

Stall

It was Amazing! It was my first time on it this year Nov 8-9 an I will be back. It was worth the money an we prolly had round 50 people out there at one time in :a: I had no problems with gettin bunched up an passin whoever I needed to pass. LOL but I bet there was a backup when me an some other guys came down from Mid Central learnin the track for the first few sessions...