Best video camera for me to film my track-days

What is a good video camera for me to film my own track-days? Where and how is the best way to mount it? Bike, helmet or both? I am a ROOKIE at video cameras so need some guys-girls who use them and have some good advice... I watched lots of great NESBA track vids on youtube so I know we have some experts on here... Thanks Scott Reynolds

andersoncm2

A GoPro is a great option. They capture great video and can be mounted nearly anywhere on the bike. I've never mounted the camera to my helmet, but many have with success. There are other options out there, but I have not used them. I have a GoPro Hero2 and a Hero3 Silver. Both are great.

mpusch

Micah
I'd avoid only mounting via helmet. Tends to only grab shots of the surroundings and none of the bike. You feel like a disembodied head flying around when you watch the video.

Craigo298er

I have a Contour 2+ (yes, they are back in business) and it isn't the giant brick that the gopro is. Plus it has a GPS to show speed, elevation and track line. It isn't good enough to see your top speed because it updates every second or so, but it is a cool feature you can use elsewhere. It's a little more streamlined as well, and can be operated with gloves on

denbsteph

andersoncm2;302146 wrote: A GoPro is a great option. They capture great video and can be mounted nearly anywhere on the bike. I've never mounted the camera to my helmet, but many have with success. There are other options out there, but I have not used them. I have a GoPro Hero2 and a Hero3 Silver. Both are great.
:agree:

GriffinD

Not a big fan of the helmet mount. I have a mount just below where the windscreen curves down into the fairing and it gets great (slow) footage ;)

I've seen a few used GoPros come up here for sale. Keep an eye out!

booboo1;302179 wrote: Go Pro mounted on the tank. Ya get the speed O and tach. Plus the best view. Imo.
Or anyone, I was just on the Go Pro site and really like what they have to offer, only problem or ? is does it come with the tank mount or which mount did you guys buy to mount it to the bike? Thanks for my ROOKIE video ???? I really appreciate all the help, who knows you could make it in one of my vids and then you will be happy you gave me advice if it comes out well.

crash675

I think the motorsports one comes with the suction mount. I have used it, it tends to bounce a little. You can purchase the suction mount by itself. Dont forget to safety wire orzip tie it to the bike.

dsmitty37

Most people that mount the GoPro to their tank use one of the 3M adhesive mounts supplied with the kit. Whether it is a curved or flat mount depends on the contour of your tank and camera placement.

P.S. if you have a smoked windscreen this is not a good mounting location as you won't be able to see.

Prix

dfgh

scotman623;302143 wrote: What is a good video camera for me to film my own track-days? Where and how is the best way to mount it? Bike, helmet or both? I am a ROOKIE at video cameras so need some guys-girls who use them and have some good advice... I watched lots of great NESBA track vids on youtube so I know we have some experts on here... Thanks Scott Reynolds
Have to go with gopro, on a road race bike mount it one the front, back, tank, anywhere, but not on you!!!! On a moto cross bike definetely your helmet, cause the bike goes down too often and you may screw it up, now obviously if the bike goes down so do you but as you see on Monster energy Arena cross the where them on there heads and it still capures images from the softer ground and of course not near the speed of a track crash that will have pavement. This doesnt insure the camera will survive a track crash, but mine did. Mount on the back like in moto gp, on the tail facing you, and you will learn what your doing right and wrong with your body, mount it up front you will learn what your doing right and wrong in corner entry, apex, and exit. Have some fun and mount it on a side of the bike looks cool obviously if your on a clockwise track, on the right side, (most tracks are). Or mount it on back facing back, and have a friend follow he may learn some stuff on how he is riding.

Prix

sfd

Also with the mounts they are strong enough to survive the straights at Road America so you dont need to worry if you mount it right it ain't coming off, just remember once you put the mounts its really tough to get them off, but you get like 6 mounts for the darn thing so don't worry you can find all sorts of cool spots and with the swivl arms that come with it you can position the camera anywhich way you like, also dont be afraid of rain, as long as the camera is in the case its waterproof.

vzhulin

I use the original ContourRoam. Quality is not as good as GoPro or Contour2+ but the form factor of the Contour cameras is great for helmet mounting. GoPro works well for mounting it to the mirror bolts on the front cowl or on the tank, but I always have issues with vibration - whereas helmet mounting has none. My Contour is pretty rugged too, it survived two crashes at Jennings two weeks ago - although the adhesive mount turned out to not be strong enough to stay on, both times my cam flew off my helmet. Never has any issues with it coming off at high speeds on the track though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Swatcat

Does anyone have any experience with the Replay XD1080 mini camera? The video comparisons I've seen look pretty similar to the GoPro. I'm more interested in whichever is more user friendly.